Thors return

Posted by junderway 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Thors return
July 07, 2007 02:18PM
Anyone read it? What are your thoughts. Powersurge I know you are reading this. WHat did you think?
Re: Thors return
July 07, 2007 05:56PM
I haven't picked it up yet, Junderway. I'll probably grab it next week when I head down to get the new Omega Flight and Dark Tower.

I'm certainly looking forward to it though.

I can't wait for his reunion with Iron Man. Like I said at some point in the past CW threads; I'm on my side (as opposed to popular opinion's) until Thor gets back, then I'm on Thor's side.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
July 07, 2007 07:32PM
All I have to say is Thor had better be pissed when he finds out he was cloned and that clone was used in a dishonorable way, or I will scream crappy writing at the top of my lungs.

July 07, 2007 08:30PM
But, but, if he shows up being totally pissed and in character that'd be *GASP* following continuity, and we can't have that!

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
July 07, 2007 08:50PM
I think that what Thor would have the most problem with, as a paragon of Viking Age Scandinavian heoric values, is the abuse of his name and reputation that Clor represented.

A weapon is a weapon is a weapon. And Thor may or may not have a problem with how a weapon was used. One's repute on the other hand, in keeping with Anglo-Nordic values, is the most personal and precious of commodities, virtually synomous with the soul, ie. it is what (potentially) transcends mortality and transcience.

Whether or not Thor agrees with the SRA, he should definitely not be very happy about others messing with his name and assuming his identity.

Not a good idea. Thor might get pissed and, if the mythic Thjalfi is any indication, he might make you his sidekick as a right and just punishment for idiocy.

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

July 08, 2007 06:53AM
I'm thinking Thor would've been Anti-SHRA, both on a personal level and on a non-personal one.

On the personal level, "what needs a god to follow mortal laws? The laws of Odin hath guided me for eons, and shall guide mine hand evermore."

On a wider one, I'd imagine Thor -- and other supernatural/mystical folks -- would be against the SHRA due to the mystical power associated with True Names. And they'd probably be preoccupied with fighting/defending others from other mystical/supernatural evils that don't care about the latest laws the silly mortals have enacted against their own populace.
July 08, 2007 10:11AM
Powersurge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that what Thor would have the most problem
> with, as a paragon of Viking Age Scandinavian
> heoric values, is the abuse of his name and
> reputation that Clor represented.
>
> A weapon is a weapon is a weapon. And Thor may or
> may not have a problem with how a weapon was used.
> One's repute on the other hand, in keeping with
> Anglo-Nordic values, is the most personal and
> precious of commodities, virtually synomous with
> the soul, ie. it is what (potentially) transcends
> mortality and transcience.
>
> Whether or not Thor agrees with the SRA, he should
> definitely not be very happy about others messing
> with his name and assuming his identity.
>
> Not a good idea. Thor might get pissed and, if the
> mythic Thjalfi is any indication, he might make
> you his sidekick as a right and just punishment
> for idiocy.

No problems with what you say here, but like Nightmask implied.....that is assuming Thor's return will be one that respects some form of continuity?! That is a logical argument you have here, but Marvel these days are anything but!! Let's see, or uh, you all will see and I'll just read what you think....(:!D
July 08, 2007 11:08AM
From what i can tell I think Thor will be dealing with issues of his return. Where is asgard, the other gods, ect. Before he even has time to notice CW, iron man, hulk, ect. So dont expect much interaction with others for a little bit.
July 08, 2007 01:44PM
Solits have Thor meeting up with IM in issue #3.

July 08, 2007 01:59PM
According to real world beliefs about Thor, he does not take part in the battles of men. More poignantly, he is a god of oaths and a pillar of law, in whose name capital offenders were executed, ie. he is *very* much concerned with mortal laws and the maintainence of mortal society, while the concept of both "divine law" and "true names" runs counter to his cultural inclination.

Thus, given that angle, he may or may not support the SRA.

July 08, 2007 02:12PM
With the restoration of his humanity by his future counterpart from The Reigning and restoration of his ties to Earth one would think he wouldn't be too keen about the SRA, particular with the betrayal of allies and not allowing those who're 'regulated' by the law any representation or voice regarding it.

Going by the defense of mortal laws and protection of moral society wouldn't he then consider the nature of the SRA to be antithema to fair and moral law when those affected are given no representation and so many acts of atrocity are being enacted under the guise of it (I can't imagine he'd be anything but outraged by what Moonstone's been up to for example, or the use of supervillains like the Sentinels used mutant hounds to hunt helpless and innocent mutants in the Nightmares of Futures Past timelines.).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

July 08, 2007 03:54PM
Well, I think that "atrocity" is a little strong of a word and cheapens true historical and contemporary *atrocities*. Afterall, people aren't being rounded up, tortured and murdered by the hundreds of thousands or millions.

As for how the Tivar would see things; well, I'm not one of them, but the Anglo-Nordic understanding is that the Tivar gave mankind the *seed* of law as embodied in the Maethel/Thing or "Collective Assembly". Mankind is solely responsible for it's growth and maintainence.

Of course, in the era of the Roman Historian Cornelius Tacitus (1st century CE), the *punishments* of imprisonment, flogging and murder required the consent of the high-priest, who rendered his decision "in accordance with the will of the god that accompanies them to the field of battle", ie. Tiw/TyR.

According to this custom many a Roman soldier, and at least a couple of Roman Catholic missionaries, were spared the righteous fury of the collective will of the tribe in question; which was clearly inclined to kill them for attempting to conquor them or for profaning their holy sites and blasphemeing the deities.

The thing about the judgement of the gods is that it is inscrutable, so there is no telling how it "should" go, other than the way it *does* go.

However, law aside, it is clear that the Teutonic peoples were clearly not at all fond of actions that diminished the human spirit. Most of their legal penalities invovled the payment of a fine to the offended party in order to avoid a feud. It was also deemed excessively unmanly for a freeman to beat his thrall/s or to assume lordship under a thralls own roof. A thrall had no legal recourse, outside of his owner, but peer pressure always carries more weight than the threat of law.

On the otherhand, Teutonic law was primarily concerned with the safety and stability of the community; knowing well that even the strongest individuals would suffer severely without the support of the community.

So, as far as how the Asgardians might react to the SRA bsed on real world culturo-religious values, it is difficult to say.

The entire idea of anonymity and unaccounted for violence was something very much frowned on by our values. Any crime that one did not claim or stand accoutnable for was deemed a far greater offense... being not merely a crime, but a *shame* that undermined the communal trust and thus survivability. Thus, if one chose to exist outside of the law, then they were in nowise extended the protection of the law, ie. open season on them.

Of course, while no man would associate with a shameful nithling, the mere criminal was not looked upon as a dirty thing, and if people thought they could get away with it, most noteably kin, they would "harbour" such outlaws.

So, once again, the matter is by no means clear cut.

I would hope that Thor would stand above the entire mess and freely associate with both sides; with good knowledge of the virtues and vices of *both* sides.

July 08, 2007 03:56PM
Thor is Back wahhoooooooooooooooooooo,me thinks that Galactus 1 is Happy Mortal Fleas.:D:D:D:D:!)-D:!)-D:!)-D:!)-D:!)-D(tu)(tu):.D:.D:.D(:!P)(:!P):!)o wahoooooooooooooo.
July 09, 2007 08:45AM
This is much more basic than mythological deconstruction. The Initiative already has the capability to make a thor clone, and has been shown to have the remains of the original thor clone. Plus they have the Sentry and Ares.

Just for a sense of balance, i don't see Blake/Thor joining up with the SRA.

July 09, 2007 11:03AM
From the looks of it they're creating a lot more clones than just the Thor clone, and customized superhumans that probably has an effort in Congress and the legal system to make sure they aren't considered human so they can be used as disposable toys.

-- Peter David

July 10, 2007 12:03PM
There are two hopes of Thor joining the initivtive. No Hope and Bob Hope and Bob is dead.

Now THor joining the New Avengerswould really balance those two team against each other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 12:05PM by junderway.
July 10, 2007 12:16PM
I think that there is good reason for Thor, as a heroes hero, to take *neither* side, and to remind *everyone* that some things are more fundamental and meaningful than politics and ideology.

If the current state of affairs needs *anything*, it's certainly isn't *yet another* follower taking this or that side. It's someone who really does stand above it all. And who better than the Almighty himself?

July 10, 2007 12:53PM
Thor's hardly as all knowing as all that. Plus he seems joined at the hip with the very human Blake side of the Thor persona. Either way, Thor's fallible.

Besides, the New Avengers could use the muscle...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 12:54PM by capocastillo.
July 10, 2007 02:21PM
Well, it's not a matter of being all-knowing, Capo. Quite the opposite actually. It's a matter of being down to earth and in touch with the *simple* things that all folk share in common. The kind of homely, everyman's wisdom that too often escapes the intellectualists and idealists.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what Marvle decides!

July 10, 2007 03:47PM
Keep in mind, Powersurge, that it really doesn't matter what the real world Anglo-Nordic understanding of things was/is, or what real world Thor would've done according to his myths. Marvel's Thor and their Asgardians are, while similar to them, also quite different.

I have heard Clor will return, and it's not a new Clone, it's the one Hercules supposedly pulped (apparently Reed & Stark fixed it, and/or it healed on its own). I'd not want to be around when Thor sees that lil' personal violation....

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.