TIme to say Good-bye

Posted by halo68 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
TIme to say Good-bye
June 07, 2007 09:29PM
The time has come to say good-bye to the things i enjoyed in my youth, comic books and RPG's, my group has dwindled down to little or nothing and i keep losing friends in one way or another...no offense meant to anyone here.

My best friend of 22 years is no longer allowed to talk to me cause after 11 years his wife decided she doesnt like me and never has and has forbid him to talk to me and/or have any contact with me. I havent spoken to him since January.

A mutual friend of ours, whom i have known for 19 years conspired with the wife of the friend to start rumors about me behind my back and start trouble with me and my ex-wife and my stepdaughter for reasons unknown, just for the record my ex-wife and i are the best of friends even after the divorce. I havent spoken to him since January either.

Now, a friend of mine, whom i have exchanged ideas with, discussed campaigns with, and made plans to one day play Marvel with....died Tuesday June 5 2007 of a heart attack at age 31.

I never got the chance to really know him or pick his brain or even play a game with him before fate reared its ugly head and took him away.

So, with no future prospects around my area and no real desire to play anymore, i have decided to put up the dice, close the books and give it a rest. I had my time in the sun, had some real fun over the years but alas it is not meant to last.

I have had a lot of fun here over the years, found a lot of useful advice, been part of some great discussions/arguments/topics, but i have to move on and focus on other things that need my attention...mainly life, my kids, and my toys...i customize toys, action figures...i have been making figures of my own creations for several years now to supplement my games.

I am on figurerealm.com under the creator name of Caretaker68, check us out and take a peek at all of the cool customs and creations if you will....it might inspire some of your games.....as for this board, i must say good-bye and hope to see all of you in the funny papers.

Excelsior.
halo68.
Re: TIme to say Good-bye
June 07, 2007 09:36PM
*awwwws* So terrible to hear about all that happening to you, and the loss of a friend so suddenly. Sad to see you go and let the bad people of the world leave you thinking you have to give up things you loved, but hope you find happier ways of living and life treats you better and maybe you can return to your RPG fun someday.
June 07, 2007 09:39PM
I'm sorry you feel you have to give up the game, man... but I understand. It sounds like you've gone through a lot. What your friend's wife did is deplorable, but is unfortunately becoming more and more common (at least I hear about instances more and more every year)... it's straight up ignorance on her part, so it sounds like you won't miss much not having her around. It's just a shame that she forced her husband to choose between her and his friends. It's pathetic and manipulative... it sounds like she doesn't deserve your friend. I offer my condolences on the loss of your departed friend as well... there's not much I can say but I'm sure the world will miss him. I hope that someday you feel you can once again come back to our bright world... when you do, you'll find us ready and willing to welcome you back with open arms and dice ready to roll. Best of luck, my friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2007 09:40PM by Punstarr.
June 07, 2007 11:38PM
My condolences to the loss of all your friends, be it from manipulation to departing. You may be giving up the dice but you're still in the game. You may view Karma as a Marvel Gamers term but Karma is also a way of life. Those who have conspired against you have earned their Negitive Karma in life and the Universe will answer in kind. I hope the game of life is more generous for you in the future than it has been in the past. Either way, your still playing and that's what matters most. so Game On!

RAGNARoK B)

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.
-verb (used without object)

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

3. Computer Slang. to insult or criticize angrily in an electronic message.
-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2007 11:39PM by RAGNARoK.
June 08, 2007 12:20AM
I do believe that what goes around, comes around, so maybe Karma will come back around on those who have wronged me someday...he doesnt deserve her and the marriage should come first but choosing between friends and the wife is a tough call and it's not like we played every weekend i mean we live almost 2 hours away from each other and the gaming sessions were planned months in advance...so its not like we were monopolizing up time allotted for other things.

Anyhoo, thanks for the kind words, i will check back here from time to time to see whats going on, if i win the lottery anytime soon i am springing for a HUGE Marvel section in a grand hotel with all of the people here and i am buying the tickets and footing the food bill...y'all dont mind baloney and bread do ya? Just kidding...best to all here.

halo68 aka Michael Bell.:D
June 08, 2007 10:45AM
Woo hoo! I'll bring the SPAM! :D

Best of Wishes Halo68
June 08, 2007 05:34PM
Sorry to hear of your losses an troubles, and very sorry to hear that you feel you have to step back from something you enjoy. Hopefully it'll only be for a brief time, whether you return here or not.

All my best wishes for you, and may brighter days and calmer shores be waiting to greet you around the next bend.

P.S. No offense, but if we ever do have a massive get-together and geekfest amongst all of us depraved souls here, then I'm gonna haul in several carcasses and fire up an industrial sized grill :D

Quack, damn you...
Re: Saying Good-bye
June 08, 2007 05:54PM
I'm sorry to learn about the loss of those close to you! Just remember you will always have friends here at Classic Marvel, I will keep a chair open for you Michael!! B!)-

The Skycutter

June 08, 2007 06:10PM
Oh, one more thing. If you EVER head to Arizona. Feel free to look me up. I'll game with ya and I'm sure a few other Marvel Zoni's on this site here will be happy to join in.

(For those who might not know what a Zoni is, it's a Native Arizonan. But I'm sure ya got it, but just clarifying.)

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically
June 08, 2007 09:05PM
Bon voyage, Halo. All the best, and good luck with the figures.

Best regards,

Niniri

June 08, 2007 10:12PM
My initial response to your email is "What would Dr.Phil say?"
Having had to sit through several of the Dr. Phil shows at my wife's insistance I may have a general idea.

You see, if I sit through an agonizing hour of that show, she will sit through an hour of "Heroes" on NBC. It's called "MARRIAGE". It sometimes require give and take.

First of all, stop the pity party. Sure , it is human nature to feel sorry for one's self for a while, but hey, either get busy living or get busy dying. I realize that that is a lesson from the "Shawshank Redemption" , but hey, it makes sense to me.

As far as I'm concerned, that statement is as holy as "Love thy neighbor as thy self".

I don't have time to feel sorry for you bucko. . .I got too much @#$%& going on in my own life to lament the fact that you have someone who has known you 22 years is selling you down the river. I am sorry. But, you need to find a better friend. It sounds like any one of us at this webstie is good canadate. I'll post myself in first position.

Why me? Because I won't B.S. you.

Anyway, although you were thankfully vague, the relationship between your step daughter and ex-wife is frankly none of our buisness.

I absoultley and 100 percent identify with you regarding the loss of a friend due to a sudden and horrible death. My best friend ever was stricken with cancer, but at least I got to share MSH with him for several years before his passing. I do appreciate your loss.

So, I presume that since you have signed off , yet can be reached at figurerealm.com, that I should not expect a response from you, because, I am not going to even go look at that website. My imagination is quite fertile enough, although I thank you for the invite.

I'll be looking to see if you will respond.
June 08, 2007 10:45PM
TO Secret Defender: Well, i appreciate that you wont BS me and your candor is admired..wow you do cut thru the crap dontcha?

Thats a compliment.

I'm not throwing a pity party, im just moving onto other things, i love coming here for the discussions and the exchange of ideas, but for someone who has always had players to sit down and have a game with its all just appetizers for a starving man....i mean come on, the chances of all of us getting together in one state at the same time, hammering out House rules, argueing about this and that ( it happens sometimes) and actually playing are slim at best.

I am lamenting the loss of a hobby that will never reach the pinnacle that it did in my youth, some things rarely do as we get older.

This year i have found out that some people are not what they seem on the surface at all, my time is being served best elsewhere as my brother IS dying of cancer and there is no chance he will come out of before his 37th birthday in december.

The invite to see my figures and the customs of others was just a way of showing off a hobby that some people enjoy, i just wanted to share my imagination the way that suits me now...thats all...would love to see you stop by and see some as i have not figured out how to post pix here:( i will admit to being computer-stupid sometimes.

As for finding a better friend, your honesty with me says a lot about you, i respect you wanting the job and i will consider your application...now, how are your references?

I really have no friends to hang out with outside of work and i work in a liquor store, so you can imagine all the people wanting to be "friends" with me......and i havent drank in 14 years!

As we get older, we find out that our list of friends gets shorter and shorter....thats life i guess.

So, here's your reply and i honestly have not felt as good as i do now after reading all you guy's replys to my initial post....ok, so now i have some new friends....group hug everyone!
Come on in a little closer y'all, thats snug and cozy, eh?
June 08, 2007 10:52PM
Be warned. I drink.
June 08, 2007 11:28PM
If you do decide to put away "the trappings of youth" don't put them somewhere you can't get to them. Sometimes, things come full circle, and you may find yourself -- I hope you find yourself -- in a happy time where you can break them out again.
June 08, 2007 11:39PM
TO secret defender: I dont and like i said i work in a liquor store. LOL:!)-D:!)-D

TO mark: I wont put them too far away, i do believe what comes around goes around and who knows the circle may complete itself someday. Thanks for the kind words.:D
June 09, 2007 10:05AM
Man I am so sorry to hear of your Troubles,and I am sorry that you are throwing in the Towel.Perhapes you should take a break take a couple Months off and then see how you Feel.I dont blame you for wanting to give it up after all of that.Maybe you just need a vacation from problems,not from what you enjoy in Life Halo68.My prayers are for you that you will have Peace in this time of your Life.God never closes one Door without opening another Best Wishes to you.
June 09, 2007 10:36AM
I made that mistake and sold my entire comic book collection in 2002. Boy do I regret it now... I can't tell you how much. :(

I had... a lot.

June 10, 2007 01:58AM
Punstarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I made that mistake and sold my entire comic book
> collection in 2002. Boy do I regret it now... I
> can't tell you how much. :(
>
> I had... a lot.

PM-ya on this statement

flam-ing.
-noun

-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2007 02:00AM by RAGNARoK.
Re: Bye Halo68
June 10, 2007 05:35AM
Bye Halo68. I remember the day when I sold my entire comics collection. I was a freshman in college ( 1990 ) in a new world with women, partying, and academics.

Comics took a back seat and were " un cool "

I sold my collection for $500.00, keeping just 3-4 issues for myself.

For years I ignored the comics world. Then I was drawn back into it. I don't buy comics anymore, but I do glace through them from time to time.

If you have to leave, you'll always have the memories!

Good luck.
June 10, 2007 06:01PM
Halo68,
I would like to reflect the forums feeling on this.

To a certain extent I am in a similar boat to your friend. Wife will not have the friends around our house. (i will yet try to change this) But I can also see her reasons and to that end I understand her point.

I am still allowed to go and see them and I plan to continue to do this.

I too have lost a friend to cancer as well. All I can say is that life continues to change. Morn the friends who have passed on and live the life that you have, make use of what you can and meet new people and introduce them as well to RPG's

Find acting groups other people who read comics. Hell even consider starting a tafe course for creative writing using RPG's as your medium.

food for thought. best luck for the future

Fangs
>>| |-- ::!o --||<<
"Yes it the Game has bugs"
"I like mine squished"
"Bon Appetite!"

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.