Marvel Revamp Project

Posted by Warlock 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gerrod
Re: Marvel Revamp Project
February 20, 2002 03:37AM
Hi S.D.I.

Somewhere along the line the basic thesis of what I was talking about has gotten lost. I do not think that submitting this revision system of ours has ANY realistic chance of ever getting published by anyone.

As I said, this would be best published on this very site right here, making it freeware, and the shared intellectual property of all Classic MSH RPG fans everywhere.

People, what this would be is a labor of love. If you think this is your way in to the RPG industry, think again. When E.Gary Gygaxx and his cohorts kick started this industry in the mid 70's it was an anyone can get involved kind of thing. But, then the roof caved in, it became successful. Now it is big business. And folks, now days, a good idea is only something that big business steals from you, not something that gets you discovered.

If you want any chance of breaking into the RPG industry, find out where the game company you like is located and move there and pound on their doors every other day until they hire you (and fulfill your dreams) or get a restraining order against you (and fulfill Big Bubba's of having a virgin cellmate if you break the order). Sorry, but it's either that or know someone in the industry. So sorry.

All of that aside, I think that for ourselves and others yet to come here, we could do alot by cleaning this old system up and freewaring it.

Gerrod
Secret Defender, Inc.
February 20, 2002 12:40PM
Gerrod,

Thank you for your feedback. I had a feeling that you really knew how the gaming industry worked. I have no problem whatsoever sharing our suggestions and ideas among the gang of us. In fact I will be running my first game since summer of last year this weekend and I am looking forward to trying out some of the house rules that I have found at this sight.

Later today I will be posting a Combat Turn Timing variant and would appreciate feedback from as many who care too.

----------Secret Defender Inc.
Fangs
February 20, 2002 05:09PM
Hi Gerrod,
Fangs
February 20, 2002 06:05PM
Doh I did it again
as I said Hi Gerrod, I hear what you are saying... I am aware that Big business is like Government steal what you can now and then deny it later. Microsoft did it and I am sure that marvel has as well. I will continue to make enquiries on the quiet. I don't expect that we will get paid and I fully agree with you that we should make it freely available... that was my understanding in any case....

Hey I could have sworne that I posted something else earlier.... oh well here it is

--Gerrod
--Warlock
If you two could work on the Realms of magic. That would be great. I don't think that there is a lot that I would change. But if you could generate some short cut sheets similar to what I sent you(did you get them by the way? ) with tables, Spell lists and the like it would go a long way to getting the whole lot polished. Work together on it.

Also If you are upto it work on the weight intensity table

--Tom1013
-healing/regeneration

Meltdown if you are upto it could you have a look at
-inventing/modifyings items

As even in the shortcut version it still seems somewhat long winded... even after I cut the guff out of it... if you would rather pass then let me know.

I will look into the following
-multiple actions table
-Initiative modifier Table

I intend to also find out more information from David (Author of UPB) in relation to multiple actions.

Anyone with any problems contact me on.
fangs@fadge.faithweb.com

"Gentlemen Start your engines"

Fangs
Gerrod
February 21, 2002 06:19AM
Hi Fangs,

*lol* So much for simply compiling. Sure man, if Warlock has no objections, I'd love to do it.

Hey, Warlock; what say we talk about a non-linear, interrupted algorithm for the basis for a workable weight intensity chart?

Gerrod
Warlock
February 21, 2002 08:38AM
No prob with me. I think that the Universal Chart in the RoM books needs updating in a bad way. Also little things like changing wether the spell goes off from using the spell rank to the casters Psyche. As is, if I want to determine whether I get a spell off correctly I roll and use the spell rank to determine success. My way would use the caster's Psyche to determine the outcome. Example: under the current rules Doctor Strange would have less of a chance of casting a Good spell (something weak, of limited duration and area of effect) than a novice would have of getting off an Unearthly spell (powerful, permanent and affects entire planets). Not realistic is it? I say make spells like Psyche FEATS to cast. If the spell is of lower rank than the casters Pysche he needs a green roll, the same level Yellow and one rank above is Red. This would allow for those novice trying a spell beyond his power situations as well as clear up the aforementioned problems. Not to mention not allowing mages of limited power to cast spells that can change the face of a planet.

As far as magic in the UPB book I say cut it out completely. With the Player's Book covering the Novice or uninterested magic users and the RoM books for the advanced mage, I think the (excuse my bias) junk on magic in the UPB just confufses matters more instead of adding options. Maybe replace it with a couple handfulls of the Unique spells like the Conjurer's Sphere (the spell that The Ancient One used to stop Baron Mordo when Stephen alerted his newfound master to the evil apprentices plans) or the Incantation of Oblivion (used by the living tribunal to eradicate entire dimensions if they prove a threat to the others). Ok maybe not that one but things like the Mists of Morpheus would be better than what is in it now IMO.

Gerrod,
I think for the most part email would be the easiest way to do most of the work so why don't we spend a coulple days (no hurry, wouldn't you say) thinking of things to change and then we'll get ahold of each other and swap ideas. Sound like a plan?

DG :bounce:
Gerrod
February 21, 2002 02:26PM
>>I think for the most part email would be the easiest way to do most of the work so why don't we spend a coulple days (no hurry, wouldn't you say) thinking of things to change and then we'll get ahold of each other and swap ideas. Sound like a plan?<<

Works for me.

As to the rest, just throwing out an idea or two for you, and maybe looking to get some thoughts from others as well:

The castings working off of Psyche seems the way to go with me too. Indeed, I've had that as a house rule for the last six years anyway, just about exactly as you've laid it out, except; I also add a way for Magi of less than Strange class to improve their chances, but combat yanks that back out and evens things out.

First: A mage can cast a spell that equates to any power in the book. All magi must have a power source, as this universe itself isn't very forthcoming, when it comes to "Personal" spells. Universal (Ancient Lore) Spells, which must be learned from somewhere (basicly working like straight powers in both aquistion and usage), and Planar Spells are actually like AD&D style channeling, the way a cleric does it; rounds it out. This makes for three very different types of spell, stays close enough to the Marvel background to work well and yet makes for a less cumbersome system.

Second: A Mage (not a Wonder Worker, who has other advantages) gets two columns down and his splus one up with each of his casting area difficulties. So, If the Mage's Psyche is Remarkable, spells ofGood, Excellent, Remarkable and Incredible difficulty are a Green Feat, spells of Amazing Yellow Feat and spells of Monstrous difficulty are a Red Feat.

Wonder Workers (the proper, classical name for that type of person is Thaumaturge) have the normal 1 CS casting area difficulty affect range (1 rank less is green, equal is yellow, and one rank up is red), but need no psychological props (like rituals or fetishes, or items of power, or words and phrases or whatever)or power sources to work with.

The system for both though is the same otherwise and
basicly, it works like this: Casting difficulty works off of how much effect the character is after, coupled with resistance factor.

For instance: If you're trying to effect just yourself or your direct enviroment it is at -1CS difficulty. If you are aiming at just one other/different person it stays the same. If you are trying to affect a small group (ten or fewer individuals), it's +1CS; eleven to many... a purposely nebulous number makes it +2CS harder, a regional effect (the size of a city) is +3CS harder and a continental effect is +4CS, while a world wide effect is +5CS. Even Strange is going to have troubles there, which even he should.

Also, it matters what you are trying to affect. If your spell effects anothers physical body in a way that is mirrored by a damaging physical power (like Therain Bolt; my campaigns version of the Eldritch Bolt that can effect physical matter, which the standard Eldritch Bolt cannot in our campaign, BTW); in that case it uses the stat most effected; usually Endurance (as you can loose Endurance ranks if your health falls under 1) as your base difficulty rating.

So, if Argoth the Hame (a mage) is casting the dreaded Frog Prince Curse at, let's say, Wolverine (it'd do the cranky ol' cuss good to be stuck as a frog for a bit) he's going to have troubles. Why? Read on.

Now this Spell is really just a version of BioPhysical Control; but it sounds more magely to call it the Frog Prince Curse. Argoth's got an Amazing *50 Psyche but does not have the Mystical background Talent, so things are a bit tougher for him. He's a straight mage, not a wonder worker, so he needs psychological props for his castings (something from the UPB that I liked) to be at full effect and casting things in a close quarters situation, like one has to do with BioPhysical Control to have much chance (remember, every ten feet distance increases the difficulty of the power by +1CS)of success, is no easy task when you're facing a pissed off Wolverine.

Put simply: Now Wolverine is just one person, so the base difficulty stays the same; the cranky ol' cusses Psyche of Incredible is normally a Green Feat for Argoth, but it gets tougher; as permenant effect changes, by this system, are at a +2CS penalty, and there are combat distractions for someone with fewer choices to counter them ( & no time for rituals or other props that would reduce the difficulty).

So, casting in combat is +2CS, permenant effect (unless countered) is another +2CS: this pushes Wolverine's effective Psyche/Resistance to Shift X. This is going to be possible, if only barely, but will take a Red Feat. If this guy wants to survive, he needs both initiative, and a good dose of luck.

I'll dig out the old tables and let you take a look in a bit, but for now, think about this variant.

Gerrod
February 24, 2002 11:56AM
Any room for a marvel technology buff who is down on his luck and looking to help with the mrp jumpstart? I see alot has been said about magic, combat tables, etc, but is there going to be any thought to re-thinking some of the technology stats and rankings?

just curious.

Dx
Fangs
February 27, 2002 05:19PM

--Detonator
For the Hi-Tech wonders.....
I have abreviated the inventing rules and the modification rules... Have a look at the short cut sheets. Even in the abreviated form it seems to be somewhat long winded. What I need is an easier method to understand..... Work out a couple of Ideas for me and concerning using reason in relation to inventing Hi-Tech Items....

I will set up a topic in the REVAMP section

Fangs
April 03, 2002 03:47AM
Hi everyone.....Time for our first vote on a topic that has been revamped....
Come one, come all and have your say on the final outcome.

Topic is Resource Points
At the following URL:

[www.classicmarvel.com]

Don't Miss out

Fangs
April 03, 2002 10:05AM
Ahhh, guess what my vote is.

*grin*

Gerrod

If electricity comes from electrons; does that mean that morality comes from morons? G. Carlin
May 29, 2002 12:30AM
Hello Aunt P,
is it possible to setup a vote register for the parts of the revamp project. Or some similar type of thing ?

Fangs
>>| |-- ::!o --||<<
"Yes it the Game has bugs"
"I like mine squished"
"Bon Appetite!"
May 30, 2002 12:05AM
Because it was requested I have added a "Poll" functionality to the board. This is pretty dodgy but hopefully it shouldn't break anything.

Feel Free to give it a whirl. Should only work for New Threads, not replies

CheerZ

'Fer the love of my sweet Aunt Petunia' - Ben Grimm

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.