Guess what I just saw

Posted by Tomm1013 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Guess what I just saw
May 06, 2002 12:19PM
As I have posted previously I am saving my hard earned cash and give it to WizKids. That's the company selling the Marvel HeroClix fiqures.

I picked up the most recent InQuest due to a feature spread rating the power levels of the figures. There are 40 characters and then 10 more divided as SHIELD agents and medics, HYDRA agents and medics and Skrull agents and medics. Yes, medics. In this game if a hero or villain begin to take damage but you can get him/her to a medic ( or vica-versa) then healing is possible prior to a KO.

Conspicuous by their absence: All of the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Thor, and Nightcrawler. Why? So that people will buy the expansion set that will have them.

Here is where one's wallet gets pinched: Yes there are 40 characters plus 10 medics, etc.,. BUT some of the characters have as many as FOUR versions, with each version representing a different stage and power level of their career: Rookie, Experienced, and Veteran. The fourth version is the "rare" piece, i.e., Spider-Man in his Black Costume. His power level may or may not be different from Veteran but you can play him dressed in black.

Grand total? 150 figures.

Characters such as Thanos and Nightmare have but one version and they are rated as the most powerful piece and third most powerful piece, respectively. The Veteran version of Juggenaut is at number two.

Each character version has a point value. You normally can have a team of three to six characters. If you have Thanos you might be able to afford one more. Even if you have Thanos 6 to 2, you still might lose.

Of the ranking of the 40 here they are:

40 thru 31: Elektra, Quicksilver, Whirlwind, Blade, Boomerang, Wasp, Bullseye, Pyro, Puppet Master, Kingpin.

30 thru 21: Wolfsbane, Scarlet Witch, Daredevil, Jean Grey, Controller (works GREAT with Thanos!), Blizzard, Hobgoblin, Constrictor, Sabretooth, Mr. Hyde.

20 thru 11: Rogue, Cyclops, Captain America (has the "outwit" feature...represents that come from behind plan that Cap always has and suddenly he's full on ready to save the day!), Wolverine, Klaw, Spider-Man (has "outwit" and something called "flurry"), Dr. Strange (surprise! He can simulate almost any power in the game), Annihulus, Firelord (a herald!...offensively he is nasty, but, he just can't shake that loss to Spider-Man (in the black costume)...the designers made it so that Firelord can go down quickly). And at #11...Professor X.

10 thru #1: Hercules: Never loses strength; fatigue is a major factor in the game. Loss of health means loss of strength. But not for the "Prince of Power"!

------------Magneto: Master of Magnetism gets an edge over his friend and nemesis Professor X. Lots of defense and the "leadership" feature combine to make him quite durable.

------------Vision: Great all-around. High defense and Strength, very expensive for team building.

-----------Hulk: Hmm? Oh, yeah! That "adrenaline surge" thing he has. He starts out as puny Banner, but as he gets hurt, well, you know...he becomes the "Strongest one there is",.

----------Quasar: WHO? Yep. Quantum bands, flight, TK, forcefield, high ranged combat damage and his defenses remain high even when he is nearly unconscious. Highly collectible.

----------Ultron: At Veteran level he has the highest attack score in the game and similar to Hercules that he does not lose Strength, except, when he is really, really, hurt.

----------Kang: Extremely high futuristic defenses and any weapon that one can imagine if you transport your imagination to the 50th century.

----------Nightmare: "Can't sleep!...Clowns will eat me!",
Get the picture? There is a rpg element to this game, and when Nightmare is on the table he has a pile of powers that due to his demi-god status, he can SHARE with his teammates!

----------Juggernaut, Veteran w/ helmet: One of the baddest @#$%& in the entire game. Mind control immunity (just like Magneto) and that Hercules anti-fatigue thing, and, oh, of course, "Nothing can stop the Juggernaut!",.

NUMBER ONE.......THANOS: He's the mad Titan. He macks on Death. And he is top of the heap in Marvel HeroClix. LONGGGG Range attack capability and nigh-invulnerable. The only drawback is that if you have Thanos on your side, he IS your side.

So there you have it. Any thoughts about the order of the power rankings as they compare with how we would rank 'em in our game?

SDI
May 06, 2002 06:59PM
What no Gambit, hOw wh.... th.... no....Whay the ....... #@$%#%#$% Noooo !!! they Left out gambit...... first the X-men Movie then this.....wh... ho.... fu...

Darn it all.....

Fangs
>>| |-- ::!o --||<<
"Yes it the Game has bugs"
"I like mine squished"
"Bon Appetite!"
May 06, 2002 07:08PM
Don't worry Fangs. They'll probably have him in the expansion set...but not before the stand alone Sentinel Mark IV comes out this summer. At $6.95 apiece ( and you know you gotta have more than ONE Sentinel show up) they are costly. Cool feature: the hands are molded in such a way that they can hold onto the characters that tey pick up for capture. The game sticks to scale, so the Sentinel Mark IV piece will be (I think) 6" tall.

SDI
May 07, 2002 01:41AM
*sob*

I have uploaded a word document in the revamp section that outlines inventing/ modifying... I was after some feed back..... please note that I have amended an earlier version of the intenting/ modifing process and any and all feed back would be most welcome.

Fangs
"I like mine squished"
"Bon Appetite!"
July 08, 2002 10:56AM
In case any of you missed the latest InQuest magazine, there is an article about superhero rpgs.

In the final paragraphs of the article, the new Marvel Universe Roleplaying Game is mentioned...

" Marvel Entertainment is working on "The Marvel Universe Roleplaying Game" along with the team of developers from the classic rpg "Paranoia". Together they are looking to come up with a game that strikes a balance of new and old school roleplaying. As it stands now, the MU RPG will feature a unique, dice-less system, tons of Marvel's beloved characters and an affordable but quaoloity core rulebook that will fit alongside your Spider-Man and Avengers graphic novels.

"We're looking to create a game with a fast moving, dynamic mechamic that players of all ages can quickly learn then master",

It is scheduled to hit the stores in 2003...a long wait, but it ain't D20.

SDI
Spirit
July 08, 2002 05:42PM
Diceless?!
July 08, 2002 06:08PM
Spirit,

I know...visions of, dare I write it?...SAGA System? I don't think so.

I have never played the "Paranoia" or "GhostBuster" RPGs. Both of those were created by the team that is working on the dice-less MU RPG. I do know that Paranoia and GB used dice.

Maybe it's just Stat v. Stat with bonuses for certain combat tactics or power stunts. Higher value succeeds. No dice rolls. Ties are either stalemates or resolved by a coin toss. I am not writing that I know any of this to be a fact, I'm just suggesting how a dice-less, and by the Vishanti I pray, a card-less game.

SAGA was inventive and a noble effort with great company support when it came out. But ultimately it was a drag, and not as exciting as the game with the Universal Table and a pair of good ole d10s.

We won't see anything on it until probably after the holidays of '02.

SDI
Spirit
July 08, 2002 06:20PM
I have Paranoia. It's not great, but it has it's own little deviant charm. But it does use dice.
Diceless ... are they just trying to mess up the Marvel rpg as much as possible?
July 08, 2002 06:51PM
Spirit,

Well, that quote about "strike a balance of new and old-school roleplaying.", Makes me a bit nervous.

That does suggest card play. Or perhaps throwing small bags of birdseed at each other. The birdseed packs are energy blasts and you reallyhave to be able to hit a dodging player @ twenty paces .

For about ten minutes I owned the D6/Legend DCU rpg. In the Game Master's screen set was an "optional" set of rules for combining cards with dice rolls. There were a set of twenty of thirty cardboard cutouts that you could build a deck with and then deal so many to each player. They could play a card in lieu of rolling a handful of d6's, or combine the script on the card with the dice action. I did not care for it.

If Marvel Entertainment would answer their e-mail then perhaps we could get a glimpse, but that is unlikely.

SDI
Spirit
July 08, 2002 07:26PM
Yes, that quote does not bode well. Well at least we'll always have the old Marvel set. :lol:
July 13, 2002 10:48PM
I would love to see a new system come out but if there are cards involved in any way, shape or form I will run for the hills. I got the card gaming out of my system almost 10 years ago when I realized Magic was just a tool to keep me spending my paychecks on supplement after supplement, expansion after expansion.

Paranoia?!? That kinda scares me. ;) I haven't even seen a copy of that game in like 15 years.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
July 14, 2002 06:53PM
Well when I approached them with the idea of releasing MSH RPG again. (I didn't allude to what we are doing here) The did not seem in the least bit interested.

too bad for them.

Fangs
"I like mine squished"
"Bon Appetite!"
Tom1013
July 27, 2002 01:30AM
No dice.......how......but......then what........
Oh Hell! Guess i'll have to wait and see.
Re: Mutants and Masterminds Web Preview: Character SheetsevGuess what I just saw
August 01, 2002 11:38AM
If you are interested in seeing D&D meets the comics, go to:

[www.greenronin.com]

At least we know that there will be no debate about how magic works in the M&M Universe. Afterall, with the D20 system even good ol' Elminster could show up on M&M Earth if the GM permits.

SDI
August 11, 2002 11:22AM
I do not know if I am one of the last to read about this or not, but in the ongoing addition to the X-Men lore, (Marvel Prime, i.e. the chronology and events that are Official Mainstream as opposed to the Ultimate titles) the Weapon X program is not accurately pronounced. It is actually know as Weapon Ten; the X is the Roman numeral. Weapon programs I thru IX were failures, I assume the same is true for Weapon XI, but "currently" in the subway system of Paris Weapon XII is attempting to slay Darkstar, Siryn, Monet, and Madrox (the Multiple Man). I just thought is was a somewhat clever twist to shake things up a bit...Logan was involved in the Weapon Ten program.

SDI
August 11, 2002 12:19PM
Yeah, but if Logan was Weapon 10, why is Kane also called Weapon X?
August 11, 2002 12:28PM
It is the overall name of the project. There were one of more of each of the Weapon (pick a number between I and IX) Projects. For instance, there are more than one Weapon XII that can be activated.

SDI
TSR MSH RPG Miniatures from 1984-85!
September 22, 2002 09:35AM
Did any of youse guys know that back in 1984 TSR had two miniature sets for the game? Die-cast and unpainted, but shown on the back of the box how they would look if painted well, here is the rosters:

Set #1: Spidey, Scorpion, Mr. Fantastic, Thing, Doc Ock, Capt. Marvel (Photon) , Captain America, Radioactive Man (I think that he was significant in the early 80's), Doctor Doom, Human Torch, Hulk, and Thor.

Set#2: Colossus, Leader, Magneto, Doctor Strange, Wolverine, Rogue, Sub-Mariner, Iron Man, Nightcrawler, Kang, Ariel (Kitty Pryde), and Storm with her white mohawk!

The guy selling them wants $50.00 PER set.

The nostalgic part of me is saying " go for it" but the sensible , frugal side of me is saying "don't be a dumbass. . .we're talking $100.00 here". Plus, I would have to hire a professional to paint all of them because I simply am not talented enough to do the job myself and would ruin them.

Have any of you seen these before or actually own (owned) them. I never, ever saw them and I lived in NYC when the Original Set firts came out. There were two major league game and hobby shops: Forbidden Planet and the Complete Strategist. I went there frequently and they never carried these accessories.

SDI
September 22, 2002 01:55PM
heya SDI,

You can get them on ebay for like 30-40$ American and I even saw an awesomly painted set go in the twenties before (they are of course worth more to the average collector unpainted). They come up at least a couple times a month. Usually one person will put up a set and then like 4 more will come out of the wood work once the bidding starts to get high, sellers hoping to get people to bid on their's rather than just up the bid on an existing auction. I have just missed them so many times by like a buck or two right at the end.

But the chance to get them all together, at the same time, without having to wait for the mail would be very tempting indeed. The convenience itself might be worth the extra you'd pay.

If want here is a link I have book marked that will lead you to the newest stuff posted in the RPG/Super Hero auctions. I usually browse through the new stuff and then do a Marvel Search.

Here it is if you or anyone else would like to take a look.

[listings.ebay.com]

(the help file said this should make it a direct link)

DG X(

Marvel > DC
September 22, 2002 07:36PM
Meltdown has one if not both sets. Way kewl as far as minitures go. I can ask him what he paid for them and see if he paid a fair price. He got them on Ebay if memory serves.

Dx

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.