Online Game Thread

Posted by Robert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Online Game Thread
October 01, 2006 01:41PM
This will be the thread to discuss the online message board play-by-post game that I'll be starting soon. I've decided to start with play-by-post so to accommodate all the players who might live in other countries or in drastically different time-zones. Also, since I've never run a MSH game before, this will help me as far as rulings and the given out of information. I'm going to be creating a board to facility the game and most likely a yahoo group to handle the dissemination of various text files that I want to give out and things like that.

At first I was trying to "re-build" an ideal Marvel Universe from the top down, but after some time trying to do that, I realized that I was creating a lot of unnecessary work for myself and potentially creating confusing situations for the players. I realized that much of the continuity that I like is summarized in the OHOTMU Deluxe Edition and Advanced set materials, and decided to use that continuity as the starting point for our campaign. So, basically, consider everything up to about 1986 (the histories summarized in the MSH material) to have happened with the exception, of course, that it is actually 2006. A few things might be different (no-heroic Magneto, for instance) but not anything major. The reason I'm concerned about defining the era of play is because, as Avengers, the team will have access to databases that will give them a lot of information regarding the comings and goings of superhuman activity throughout the world.

You can all post stats here as well. Since there are differences between the power descriptions used in the Player's Book and those in the UPB, state which power method you want to use so I can look that up for familiarity's sake. I also wanted to answer a few questions that I noticed (if there are more, feel free to ask):

1. I'll say as a rule that any power that does not have a power rank simply costs the 10 points for buying the power before ranks would normally be purchased. However, if we are dealing with powerful powers usually worth two power slots that don't have a power rank, like Immortality, it would cost 20 points + a base cost of 100cp's (as if it was of Unearthly rank) to purchase the power. Effectively every such power would cost 120 points.

2. Characters can have no more than one ability rank and one power rank of Monstrous level with everything else being limited to Amazing levels to begin.

3. I'm not going to limit the specific number of powers, talents and contacts since the Character Point system effectively does that already.

4. You will each have 400 cp's to create your characters.

5. If anyone decides to play a magic character, we will be using the magic rules found in the Player's book since this will be an Avengers style campaign. That being said, I'll allow access to magic-specific powers and talents not found in the Player's Book and UPB's that can only be found in the Realms of Magic. Also you can set up your magic character like those in the Realms of Magic if you so desire.

6. We will be using the Ultimate Talents List found on this site to allow more customization and detail to character creation. I'll also allow any reasonable talent to be used that might not appear on the list.

7. For simplicity's sake, let's use the Body Armor/Resistances method described in the Players Book for those types of defensive powers.

I'm sure there will be more questions. I'll continue to answer questions and give updates and as soon as the board is ready for play to begin I'll let you guys know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2006 01:45PM by Robert.
Re: Online Game Thread
October 01, 2006 10:50PM
Okay, I wish to use the powers as listed in the Ultimate Powers Handbook though I can't find my book so forgive me if I am mistaken about something. I am using the power of super speed as defined here on this site.

I finally found the character point creation system and the listing for Super Speed (y'know on THIS site). Thanks to Storm Beetle for the helping hand. Unintentionally this character has developed a bit of a 'yikes' factor to him after I saw those rules. Dropping his super speed down to Incredible would do a LOT to reign him in though I am printing him as is for a handful of reasons:

1. The idea of the character is a slightly humble everyman who may someday become one of the great legends. Carl having awesome but unrealized power fits his character concept perfectly.

2. I had to drop his 'wind walking' feat to fit him in but he is fair and legal by the rules; though I would have no problem reducing his stats if thats what you want.

3. I don't want to diminish the character unnecessarily (you just might be ok with all this after all).

Here is Carl's point system: (Current Value = Total Value so Far)
Stats: 110 = 110
Resources: 5 = 115
Super Speed (I assumed this was a star power (yeah, no duh, ghost) 170 = 285 (ouch)
Self Revival: 20 = 305
Recovery: 20 = 325
Regeneration: 30 = 355
Super Hearing: 40 = 395

Total: 395/400

'Super Speedster'
Carl Stevens
Mutant, ID publicly known to everyone in his home town population 150 but not to the public at large.
Fighting: Excellent (20)
Agility: Excellent (20)
Strength: Good (10)
Endurance: Excellent (20)
Reason: Good (10)
Intuition: Good (10)
Psyche: Excellent (20)
Health: 70
Resources: Good
Popularity: 10
Powers:

1. Super Speed-Mn (1333 areas/20,000MPH/333MPM/33 miles per 6 sec rd.)
-5 actions per every 1.
-Yellow power feat for 2 (10) actions; Red power feat for 3 (15) actions!
-Escape grapples at -1 cs.
-Catch bullets on a green feat.
-Can move too fast to be seen (actually Red intuition feat to spot him).
-'Feel the Burn': +2 CS to Super Speed power rank (Shift X); must make endurance feat every 3 rounds or become 'winded' and unable to use ANY super speed for 24 hours.
-Safeguard power: A no power that grants Carl invulnerability vs. the negative effects of HIS OWN super speed in place of the invulnerability that most super speedsters have.
2. Self Revival: Good, Carl doesn't know it yet but he can regenerate from any injury in which MOST of his internal organs are still functioning.
3. Recovery: Good, Carl has a strange ability to recover more quickly from any form of attack that is normally recovered from via healing (like poison or disease based attacks). He gets to re-roll a save vs. the attack every 10 minutes until he makes it. Carl doesn't know he has this power either though he suspects he might have the ability to recover more quickly due to his regeneration.
4. Regeneration: Excellent; 2 pts per round. Carl can heal scars, regenerate limbs, and organs in one day. Carl can not die from normal blood loss. Carl's organs will not fail from lack of nutrients or air-they must be damaged to fail. Carl will black out due to lack of oxygen (see Self Revival).
5. Hyper Hearing: Remarkable.

Weakness: Carl lacks the invulnerability of most super speesters having a Safeguard Power that protects him from the negative side effects of his own great speed instead.

Important note: IF you allow quirks, I would LIKE to take the Attractive perk twice (+2 CS bonus to reactions for most people) and balance it out with the alien culture (it may seem weird but Fair Field, Oklahoma is about as alien as a place as you can get next to a big city and Carl may suffer the -2 reaction penalty from some of the locals for not knowing their ways) and the Weirdness Magnet negative quirks (even back in Fair Field Carl kept finding himself in situations that required the use of his super human powers).

If you would allow it I would prefer for my negative quirks to be 'Will take ALWAYS try to protect the innocent regardless of the risks and Will ALWAYS try to protect friends regardless of the risks.' In each case he must make a psyche feat at -1 cs to resist taking his best action to save/protect a friend/innocent even if that means surrendering himself to a super villain.

Carl is a small town hero going big time. He has spent his life in small town in farm country Oklahoma where he used his powers for the well being of the community. He is a good man with good judgement and he has started to attract attention from the rest of the world due to his many successes. The press fell in love with the 'small time hero does good' angle and dubed him 'the super speedster' for lack of a real name (Carl never saw himself as a Super Hero, just an ordinary man who had super powers that he used to help other people just like himself who didn't have super powers).

Carl realized he had to leave his home when his unwanted fame started to attract super villians thinking they could make a name for themselves by doing in a well-liked and isolated hero. Carl beat every villian desively but fears what could happen to his friends because of him and so, following the advise of the town, he left to see if he could cut it in the Avengers.

Carl is applying for Avengers membership the same day he arrived in New York (or where ever the story takes place) having just run into town a few hours before.
October 02, 2006 12:16AM
okay, here goes. Tell me if this works.

I am using one regular power and two powers from from the Ultimate Power list on this website:

Unmovability Mn75 (Str & Armor of 125)
Ectoplasmic Control In4o(like telekinisis)
Armor Skin In40 (grey, lizardlike metal)

F Ex20 Health 110
A Gd 10
S Am 50
E Rm 30

R Gd10 Karma 70
I Ex20
P In40

Talents:
Mesmerism
Scholar of Antiquites
Linguistics Latin

KING CHROME
His physical appearence is of a large grey muscular humanoid reptile creature with scaley metalic skin, 6" 300lbs.
He wears a trench coat and pork pie hat, is usually reading a book and drinking coffee.
A scholar of the occult, King Chrome professes to have traveled the orient for years, researching some of the more bizarre aspects of the world unseen.
He desires to join a hero organization as a way of protecting Earth from extradimensional threats.
He can cook ridiculously spicy curry and has a somewhat strange sense of humor.

Powers.
KC's primary power is Unmovability. He has the ability to root himself in place with the combined power rank(75) and his strength(50), so he is held in place with 125 strength and possesses equal body armor.

While moving KC has Armored Skin of In40 rank.

From his years of occult studies, KC has learned to summon and control Ectoplasmic energy with In40 rank. This power allows him to do power rank damage from a distance. He will be developing a bucket of power stunts.

The rest of his information is closely guarded (for a judge).
October 02, 2006 06:19PM
King Chrome, great character, very original. I guess he will be the strong man of the group, unless someone makes a Mn strength guy or something. Either way he well be a good asset. And i counted him up and your hidding 30pts of something for the judge only eh. Hmmmmm.....very mysterious. I didn't see a resource rank so im guessing he is loaded.

Well, since resource points cost twice as much that would only give him Gd 15 level. Maybe your hiding something else. I'll have to wait and see. Or maybe your just talking about his background and didn't use all the 400pts. The possibilities are endless,lol.

I will probley wait and see what Joe and Seren will be and just try and fill in a character slot.

And Ghost, good luck on your character. I tell you your over in points and need to drop from Am to IN and then you bump it to Mn.LOL. SuperSpeed is at 3x the cost, not x2 the cost. And you forgot to add 10 pts to each power cost on top of the rank number and resource pts are twice as expensive. Besides that he looks great.LOl.
But hey, the Gm may bless your guy yet.

I was puttering around the idea of an Immortal character but with it costing 120 pts i don't think i can afford it.
Joe
The Avenger
October 02, 2006 06:43PM
Name: The Avenger
Form: Altered Mutant
Height: 6'11"
Weight: 413 lbs.
F: Am (50)
A: Am (50)
S: In (40)/Un (100)
E: Mn (75)
R: Am (50)
I: Ty (6)
P: Ty (6)
H: 215/275
K: 62
R: 0
P: 0
Powers:
1. Enlargement (Atomic Gain): In (40) 69 ft, 4130 lbs.
2. Hyper-Running: Am (50)
3. Body Resistance: Am (50)
4. Hyper-Speed: Rm (30) No resistance to air from this power.
5. Reduction (Atomic Reduction): In (40) 4/10 of an inch tall, 2 lbs.

Limitations:
Enlargement only affects Mutants.

Talents:
None

Quirks:
Positive:
1. Mechanical Aptitude
2. Omni dexterity

Negative:
1. Shyness
2. Nerd
3. Bluntness

History:

The Avenger is a young man with no past and no memory. He was found unconscious at the site of a try out for membership for a new team of Avengers. He awoke with no memory of who he is or where he came from. Surprisingly he knows about his powers and how to use them, but he does not know how he got them. All he knows is that he is a young man in his early twenties who is in the peak of physical condition. He has superhuman strength (about 10 tons), the ability to run at high speeds (375 mph) and also move at super speed. He is very resistant to injury, has the ability to grow to 69 ft tall (increasing his strength to Class 100), as well as being able to shrink to down to 4/10 of an inche in height. The Avenger has unbelievable agility and reflexes including the ability to use all of his limbs with the same level of skill (similar to Beast). His intelligence is super genius level and off the scale intelligence in the area of high tech electronics and devices.

On a personal level he is a total nerd and likes to spend his time on anything to do with computers, electronics or scientific type things. He is incredibly shy when not being a hero, and does not feel comfortable taking command or being the center of attention. He also has an uncontrollable habit of saying whatever is on his mind. Because of his shyness, he most often blurts out his thoughts under his breath. After making it on the new Avengers team, the Avenger was given a complete physical and examination of his powers. This is when the mystery became really interesting. Because of initial results, Hank McCoy, Henry Pym & Reed Richards where called in. They found that the Avenger seemed to be somebody's walking experiment. First he seems to have undergone the same Super Serum process the Captain America has. Secondly he has undergone the same strength augmentation process that the Power Broker offered. Next his body is saturated with Pym particles, thus giving him the ability to control his size slightly less level then Pym and the Wasp. Finally is body has been altered to be able to move at superhumanly fast speeds. All that he can remember is that he is called the Avenger and he is destined to be one!

There is a mystery about the Avenger, which even he does not know? More to be revealed later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2006 06:50PM by Joe.
October 02, 2006 08:58PM
Oh, your kidding me!! I thought I did so well.

I honestly don't know what I can do to salvage the character now. I did add the 10 point base cost to each power: 10 + 10 for each of the two good powers, 10 + 20 for the excellent power, and 10 + 30 for the remarkable power for 20 + 20 + 30 + 40 as listed, did I miss something?

Even if I got it right, I still got the resource point system reversed I guess I'd better hope the Avengers pay a strippened or my hero will be fighting evil in rags (him being dirt poor sort of fits the character though). But no matter how I arrange it I don't know what I can do about the Super Speed. I could switch to Monstrous Hyper-Speed and Amazing Hyper-Running (though I have no clue what the rules for these powers are in the PHB- here it says that someone with Hyper Speed gets one action per point of power, right? Surely that won't be allowed and what can I do for dodging?) but other than that I end up above point value no matter what I do! Perhaps I can get some credit for my weakness (though it won't be a weakness if I go with hyper-speed).

I'll try to figure something out later right now I'm going to go pound my head on the wall unitl I near death.
Re: The Avenger
October 02, 2006 09:44PM
You guys are killing me. Joe, your guy is like 540 points. Am i adding wrong, am i jipping myself somehow? Ya'll did see the 400pt limit.

And Ghost, its easy to have the exact same guy. Just lower his Superspeed to In. You still get 4 attacks. Run really,really fast, catch bullets and all that stuff. And dump revival and just take regeneration. Its the same thing isn't it? Maybe im not understanding revival power or why you think you need it.

Points system is easy. Hears the quick version.

Resources are x2 ,ie. Gd(10)=20pts,Ex(20)=40pts

Powers are 10 pts for a slot, than the rank number of power. Ie. B/A-Rm is 40pts.
Flight-In is 50 pts.

Powers with stars are twice the cost as normal. Ie. Invulnerability-Rm is 80pts.

Superspeed is the only one i know that is 3 times the cost. Ie. Superspeed-Am is 180pts.

Talents are 5 pts unless, fighting,weapon or mental. And those are 10pts each.
October 02, 2006 09:47PM
OK, now that my higher brain funtion has returned I see two possible solutions to my current problem (yes, I am now obsessing):

1. I could just take your original advise and make my Super Speed Increadible. That would be 30 (I'm assuming a power that cost 3 times as much would cost 30 points to start too) + 120 is 150 for a total of 375 points.

2. I could take Good (for 10 actions per round) or Excellent (for 20 actions per round) Hyper-Speed and whatever rank of Hyper-Running that is a little faster than a fast cars top speed. Since people with Hyper-Speed don't get body armor I woundn't need a 'Safe Guard' power/weakness and I could ask for the fighting/agility power that the Super Speesters have as a solo power to cover my dodging problem. This second option may be under value too (depending upon what Robert declairs for the value of the fighting/agility feat/power and both hyper speed and hyper running are single slot powers), has no 'connected' powers to keep track off, AND it represents my character better so I think its the better option! (Adding this one up if I took Excellent Hyper Speed and Hyper Running and got hit for a full 120 points for the feat which I doubt I will get it that bad then I would still make it with 180 points for 400 limit provided I dropped my resources to Shift 0 or 'Setting out without a penny to his name').

Storm Beetle, even though the news you gave me last time came as a bit of a shock, truely THANKS for all the help.

I may to find out what Robert thinks before I rewrite my character again.
October 02, 2006 10:12PM
My mistake Ghost, i read your powers wrong, i was looking at the 20 and 30 and thinking that was your rank number. You added those right.

I looked into the superspeed a little closer and found the original power is Lightning speed. Which was then divided into two seperate powers of Hyper running(essentially lighting speed) and Hyper speed the thing every speedster has but lacks the running.LOL.

I like the title super speed because it basically incorporates these two powers into one, which never should of been divided in the first place. You could argue with the Gm that superspeed is essentially a mixture of 2 powers and should really be only times 2 and then your guy is good and legal again at Mn superspeed.

I liked the old lightning speed power and just used the flight speed to determine movement. I would also let people use their lightning speed for multiple attacks and dodging and evading.
October 02, 2006 10:25PM
Sorry, Storm Beetle. As you can see, I was writing a post with exacltly the same idea as you have here at the same time you wrote your post. Though I now understand the reason you suggested Incredible Super Speed in the first place. I want Self Revival because though I agree with you that Wolverine comes back from the dead almost every other issue due to his regeneration their is no rule for surviving killing injuries in the Marvel game without Self Revival or a power much more serious in the same direction (like immortality). I don't want Carl to be immortal but he isn't just a super speedster-he is a character who's ability to heal will bring him back even from normally leathal wounds (with in the limitations I've written on his character sheet).

Your help has been tremendous in helping me write an almost perfect example of the idea of what I was after in the character I've made (again and again). We have done so much more than just play with numbers on this guy.

Joe and I are new to this system and I guess we are not picking up on it as fast as most.

I've never seen the super speed is three times the cost rule so I didn't know about it (as a joke I should try for reality manipulation to save points).

I've just about got my character together (I think) so I can wrap him up with Robert.

Once again, thanks for your help.
October 02, 2006 10:27PM
Guiding Light
Richard Livermore - Publicly known Mutant

Fighting - Excellent (20)
Agility - Remarkable (30)
Strength - Excellent (20)
Endurance - Incredible (40)
Reason - Good (10)
Intuition - Amazing (50)
Psyche - Remarkable (30)

Health - 110
Karma - 90
Resources - Poor (4)
Popularity - 10

Powers:
1. Light Emission - Monstrous (75)
-Generates light from any body part or entire body
2. Light Control - Amazing (50)
-Can manipulate light into solid shapes at pwoer rank strength
3. Flight - Remarkable (30)
-Allows for a maximum of 225mph in air

Talents:
Leadership

Quirks:
(positive)
Acceleration Tolerance
(negative)
Honesty (2)

Richard was born in a small southern Minnesotan town. Around the time he was 13, it became obvious that something was different about the small child when he began glowing. He was finally able to control it, although occassionally he'd gain a slight glow based on what emotion he was feeling.

It was in his junior year that he got his first taste at leading a group, when a blizzard snowed in the town. Although he always said that he didn't want the attention, he did find some enjoyment out of it.

Once he graduated, however, he knew it was time to go from the town. After a few years of moderate success as a beginning superhero, he heard that the Avengers were looking for some new members and decided to apply as soon as he got there.
October 03, 2006 12:07AM
Ah! I see we've finally stopped playing post tag, Storm Beetle.

Your right about what I'm looking for in Super Speed and I'll consider 'Lighting Speed' when I write up my character next time.

I am conserned from your earlier post (below) that we might be over working you a bit. I think I can handle finish this character though if you want any advise you'd like to give is always welcome.

I look forward to gaming with you, SB.
To my fellow noobs
October 03, 2006 12:24AM
The (400) point system for making characters is on this very site under House Rules (on the red bar above) then 'with great power'.

You can see if powers are have a star (noting powers that cost double) under 'Creation' on the same bar and then 'Ultimate Powers List'.

I just found the UPH everyone is always talking about as the 'Ultimate Powers Handbook'. It is downloadable go to 'Other Stuff' then Downloads then Advanced Game.

I think the advanced game rules might also be usable as a source of definition though Robert has said in his post above that we are to make clear which source we are using for the definitions of our powers. All the advanced game books are also available for download in the same section as the UPH.

I hope this helps.
October 03, 2006 01:47AM
Hey, ghost, don't worry too much. I'm also new at this, so I'm learning too.

I've just been statting up characters (usually of my own make) for a while.

And Storm_Beetle, I'll second the thanks for the help.
Joe
400 points.
October 03, 2006 04:24AM
No SB, my character only adds up to 400 points. I was just very creative and smart in picking his abilities and powers. I will try to explain real fast, because I am leaving for work and have two college classes right after work tonight. I gave him 0 for endurance, because Hyper-Running raises your endurance by its own power rank. I raised Hyper-Speed two ranks by taking away the protection is affords, because I already get that protection from Hyper-Running + I have Amazing Body Resistance. I took a limitation on my enlargment power (mutants only) and got myself 75 or 50 extra character points, I don't remember how many off the top of my head. Being a mutant gives me the bonus of a + 1 cs to my endurance (any extra bump). I choose 0 pop because he is unkown and a mutant. I choose 0 reasources and talents, because he has no memory only has the clothing on his back. I figure with Amazing reason and the quirk, I don't need to worry about talents. When the Avenger grows to max height (69 ft) that gives him the +3cs bump in the strength area. I am not sure if growing gives you a boast in endurance or body resistance, but I could not find it any where so I did nothing in that area?

What do you think of my character?
Re: 400 points.
October 03, 2006 07:43AM
I do like doing the math games like this. He doesn't seem too bad, but unless I'm either reading it or thinking incorrectly, would this mean that if his mutant powers are suppressed/nullified, he would go unconsious with Shift-0 Endurance (and unable to revive) until his powers returned?
Although, if you get the +1CS to Endurance for being a mutant... I need to factor that into my character as well.
October 03, 2006 12:07PM
I'm going to try to help here, forgive me if I offend you, I don't want too.

I would repost your character with your expination of every angle in with the stats to help Robert look them up.

I would double check all your angles to make sure every rule you used is fully and accurately represented (because Robert will) and I would list the page number and book title for each angle and each power with the angle or power you used for the fastest possible reference because I doubt Robert is going to want to search for each and every angle (he's going to be researching 5 characters for four slots). I don't envy the GM's their burden its like researching a paper in college only it never stops.

A pair of friendly warnings, I pretty sure that having the ability to increase your strength to Unearthly through your increadible growth violates Roberts rule of having a maximium stat/power of Monstrous. You also need to write on your character page which book you used for your power definitions as per Robert's request.

You have some clever powers there (I love the idea of being able to make other people grow).

Good Luck. :)
October 03, 2006 02:42PM
ghost160 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A pair of friendly warnings, I pretty sure that
> having the ability to increase your strength to
> Unearthly through your increadible growth violates
> Roberts rule of having a maximium stat/power of
> Monstrous.
> ...
> You have some clever powers there (I love the idea
> of being able to make other people grow).

While I agree with you on most parts, I'd disagree about it breaking that rule - however, if he were to use his Enlargement power (on himself or another), and roll a red result for duration, it would be stuck at that size (barring use of the reduction power), and unable to grow further without an Amazing or better enlargement.

Obviously, of course, it's up to Robert. :)

Good luck to all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2006 02:43PM by Seren.
Re: To my fellow noobs
October 03, 2006 08:48PM
Nice character Seren. So thats two who are ready. Looks like Seren has Guiding Light ranged/flyer and Za Zen has King Chrome one of if not the Muscle Man.

Here are some thoughts on the points system. First you can't take the Marvel system of rolling characters and apply its boosts to overshadow having to spend points. Kinda like Immortaliy, it would really only cost 20 pts but Robert is going to have it cost 120 because of its strength.

So there are a lot of powers that give you column shift boosts in the rolling a character system that don't transfer to the point system. Like everything Joe said,LOL. Essentially, you are creating a 540 point character by trying to use a hybrid of the standard marvel system and the points based system.

But, as always it's the Gm's call. But it would be nice for everyone to have an even playing ground for their characters.

Also, i think Enlargement is only for targeting others and you would need Growth to use on yourself. Growth or Enlargement only give you the strength to support your new weight which would leave you with In strength still, not Un. And it would reduce the damage done to you by about -3cs or -4 cs but you would also be +3 cs to be hit at about 60'tall.

I couldn't find reduction, their is a dimunitive power that you can use on others but the shrinking would work on you.

Considering we have several new players and a new GM to the Marvel Game it may be prudent to abandon the UPB and just try to focus on the original Marvel Advanced Players book for powers. May help save us some confusion. What do you all think?

I guess we will have to wait to hear from Robert on whether he will allow free points boosts based on the original game design or require us to pay for each and everything based on the point system.
Re: To my fellow noobs
October 03, 2006 09:15PM
Here's a thought on the points system. Since we can't roll the characters up based on the original system and their is some confusion of points maybe we could try this out.

Here are the ranks everyone has to chose from.
Mn(1)
Am(2)
In(2)
Rm(2)
Ex(3)
Gd(3)

So you can only have one power or ability at Mn rank, two at Am and so fourth. This allows for the 7 ability scores,1 resource score and up to 5 powers. You get to start with 2 free talents and additional talents cost you 10 pts each, so 2 additional talents would take away 2 of your Gd ranks or one Ex. Giving you only 3 or 4 powers.
This system would give you more overall points than 400. If you get a power that is double the cost normally than simply reduce the rank of it by -1cs. So if you wanted SuperSpeed you could put your Mn rank on it and have it at Am.

Example character.

F-In
A-Rm
S-Gd
E-Am
R-Ex
I-Gd
P-Rm

Resources- Ex

I now have 1 Am,1 In,1 Ex,1 Mn and 1Gd left.

B/A-In
Laser Vision-Am
SuperSpeed-Am (used my Mn which gets -1cs for the 2 slot rule)
Regeneration-Ex
Enhanced Senses-Gd

Talents:
1.wrestling
2.Physics

I could get rid of Enhanced Senses and get another talent or get rid of Regeneration for 2 more or both for 3. Try it on your characters and tell me what you think. GMs finally say of course.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.