Online RPG

Posted by wolveswr 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Online RPG
September 20, 2006 10:15AM
One of the reasosn I am on this board is that my regular game group has pretty much dropped to zero due to work/family commitment!!

Does anyone know of, or run, an online Marvel RPG? The few I have found thru google search have minimal, if any, interaction.

Thanks for your time!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2006 10:16AM by wolveswr.
Re: Online RPG
September 20, 2006 12:54PM
Im interested in that also, the sites i've found so far are sporatic at best.
September 20, 2006 01:04PM
Here's a really good site
[www.heroplay.com]

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.
-verb (used without object)

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

3. Computer Slang. to insult or criticize angrily in an electronic message.
-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically
September 20, 2006 04:50PM
I've been a member of rpol.net for 2 years and they'Re fairly good. They have nearly 100 superhero games and at least a couple MSH games at all times.

You also have lots of freeform, MnM, GURPS, etc.

-Whatever is causing the Joan Collins 'tude, deal with it. Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever, but get over it.
September 21, 2006 07:16PM
I'm about to start an online game sometime soon set in an "idealized" Marvel Universe (Think a mish mash of 1960's-early 80's Marvel meets "What if Paul Dini and Co did a series about the Marvel Universe ala Batman: TAS, Justice League, etc?") with all the good stuff and none of the garbled continuity and un-heroic philosophies that plague modern superhero comics. I've been spending a lot of time re-reading the rules and coming up with ideas recently. I've had the game for years but haven't had the opportunity to do anything with it till I got online. I've had a few online friends post similar ideas on here before but we could never get anything in motion. I really want to get a good group together and have some fun.

I haven't settled on a specific theme yet, however I've narrowed it down to:

A. Run the adventure in Avengers Coast-to-Coast, allowing the PC's to start up a new Avenger's franchise, thus kicking off that team's career. The main appeal of this is that the characters would get to rub elbows with a lot of big names, have easier access to cool equipment and vehicles than they otherwise would, and get nifty ID cards. If we go this route I guess the best thing to do would be to include the East/West Coast Avengers set up of yore while letting the new team set-up in a big Mid-West town like Chicago. (the more information the better)

B. Starting up a new team of Defenders brought together and mentored by Doctor Strange. Using the Manuals of Magic plus the Deluxe City Campaign set would offer oodles of possibilities for a team like this. Marvel Manhattan is the place to be, after all. It would also allow for more team freedom and eclecticism overall...though I'd have to do more work and the game would most likely take longer to set up.

I haven't decided on the method of play, however it would be either play-by-post (if all involve doubt regular meeting time availability) or a dirt simple RPG program/messenger called "Gametable" that's free, as easy to use as a standard messenger/message board, but allows for the use of grid maps and graphical playing pieces. (I'm hoping I can find an easy way to use the MSH maps with this. Crosses fingers...)
September 21, 2006 07:37PM
Sounds good to me,Robert. I go to this site everyday when i check my emails. I would be open to a once a week night of gaming. I haven't made up a character in a while. My schedule is pretty flexable, i could game any night after about 8 pm. I like either A or B.
September 21, 2006 07:49PM
Well you're certainly welcome to play. I'm thinking the ideal number of players would be four if the game is played live and no more than six if play-by-post. I'll also set up a yahoo group for easy access to house rules and resources. I would like to play live, so I'm thinking we could at least start the game using a regular messenger and move to Gametable if the group likes it.

Another certain things would be that we would use the character point creation system featured on this site using around 350-400 point characters. (I want the team to be Avengers/FF level in power.)
September 21, 2006 08:15PM
Sounds good to me. I haven't looked at the point based system, so i'll check it out and think about the character i want to play. What are some of your house rules?
September 21, 2006 08:32PM
I can't seem to find the point based rules on here, can you point me in the right direction?
September 22, 2006 12:33AM
I would be interested in joining in as well. Only problem being, im based in the UK, so it would probably be the middle of the night for the live gaming!
September 23, 2006 02:37PM
Storm_Beetle, it's under "House-Rules" and is called "With Great Power."

Well wolveswr, we could still play by post if meeting time is a problem. As a first time GM it would actually help me. It would be slower, but it would be a help to new players no doubt.

As of now I'm leaning towards the Avengers scenario. More to come...
September 24, 2006 01:45AM
I have a rough Character of 400pts for you to look at and tell me what you think.

Titan
Mineral Body(Golem)/Altered Human

F-Ex
A-Gd
S-Mn
E-Mn
R-Gd
I-Gd
P-Rm

H- 180 (360)
K- 50
P- 0
R- ? (teams)

Powers:

1. Body Armor: Am to physical and energy.
2. Hyper Speed: Am
-May substitue his speed rank for fighting and agility.
3. Energy Generation:Electricity- In

Talents:
None

Contacts:
(Team?)

(Titans body is made of an organic metal that is magical in nature. His body is solid and lacks any internal organs thereby making him immune to kill results. He does not need food,water,air or to sleep. He is immune to disease,poisons and toxins.)

I think he will be a good tanker for the team.

I am still working on his background story. But essentially he will be someone who is imprisoned in this magical golem construct. I have a rough idea of his appearance being similar to the Titan Golems in Heroes of Might and Magic V the computer game. Thats what i was basing the character off of loosely, like the idea of shooting lightning bolts.
September 24, 2006 10:44AM
Your character looks good. I really like the concept. He fits the powerhouse archetype and that's one of the archetypes that any super-team needs. A minor quibble (Here it comes! Don't worry, I'm fair and reasonable.) I might have is his hyper-speed. It doesn't seem to fit with a metallic golem type characters (I'm thinking fantasy types like you mentioned) who are usually no faster than a human.

Also, a character can't begin play with all those immunities and such without being purchased as individual powers; each immunity needs a rank, and thus they would cost individually. If you wanted him to not need to eat, breathe, sleep, or drink, he'd need at least Shift Z Life Support (using the Player's Book rules for this, the Ultimate Powers book really doesn't explain the same power very well)...obviously you can't purchase that. (Up to Shift Y Life Support, the character can go without the above items a power rank number or rounds before Feat roles.) As you can see, that character would actually be over 1,000 points using the creation point system. Take a look at the stats for characters like the Thing or Ironclad (similar characters). That's the power level a powerhouse on the team needs to be at.

I understand the creation point rules can be confusing first time, but it's really early so there is plenty of time to refine stats. I'm thinking of limiting stats and powers to no greater than Amazing to start out, however I will be allowing each player to have one stat and one power of Monstrous (If the want, you can always save on powers and stats and create a skillful Batman or Black Panther type.) That being said, since I'm leaning towards the Avengers Franchised adventure, I'll be allowing players to start their characters out at standard ranks (like you listed above) since I doubt the Avengers would consider brand new characters for membership.

I'll go ahead and say to all interested that the game will need at least four players and no more than six. What the team needs is at least some kind of variation on the major character archetypes found in comics; the leader, the scientist, the flyer, the energy wielder, the powerhouse, the speedster etc. I'm not saying that you have to play a generic character (the more original the better) or any one of these specific types (combinations can work), however team balance is very important.
September 24, 2006 07:50PM
As i was creating him, i knew that he looked a bit overpowerd but i was going off the UPB. I liked the idea of a golem and then looked in the character creation section to see what that would take.

I see that mineral body represented most what he would be. Essentially a Golem, made from mystical metals by who knows what. I'm trying not to make to much history to be more mysterious. Though i have some ideas.

I see that Mineral Body has some stated abilities that are inherent to his type like immunity to disease and poisons. And it doubles his health score. I was just elaborating on what else i thought it would give him considering he is an animated object/possesed item and has no internal organs. It said i had the option not need to eat or drink.

The things it didn't say and i just thought where a natural extention would be not needing to breathe or sleep. I thought that it would be hard to kill him on a roll because he has no vital organs to destroy but i guess he could always have his head cut off, it might stop him. And i like the idea of a distance weapon like lightning to hit people with. I was trying to make him be able to go toe to tow with Colossus or Thing but not quite in the Thor,Hulk category. If that's too powerful than i can lower him. I could take away his superspeed and give him better physical stats and help his health.

These are the abilities for a mineral body out of the UPB if you don't want him to be that then just let me know.

No need to eat or drink.
Immune to disease and poisons.
Double health score.

These i added, thinking in line with character but can be taken out.
Immune to kill results.
Does not need to breathe or sleep.
Immune to toxins.

I can also take the hyper speed points and just boost his abilities or lightning. Or maybe add a regenerative ability or something to mimic the ability to heal.
September 25, 2006 06:26PM
Okay, try these stats and see what you think. I going away from the powerhouse and just going to be a secondary fighter/toughguy/ranged, sort of a multi-backup for the main guys.

F-Am
A-Ex
S-Am
E-Am
R-Gd
I-Gd
P-Rm

Health- 170,karma-50

Powers:

1.Immortality
2.Body armor-Rm
3.Electrical Generation-Am
4.Electrical Manipulation-Am
-Healing damage up to power rank of electricity.

Talents:
None

Contacts:
Team

Its up to you what you will allow for the Mineral/Golem body.

Background Story:

A new archeological site is found in Greece revealing several new artifacts of Ancient times. In those finds is a 10' marble statue labeled simply in ancient greek "Titan". It is shipped to the N.Y. Museum, but during its voyage just before hitting port the ship encounters a terrible storm which strikes lightning into the side of the ship multiple times and hits the marble statue in one of the side holds. The statue is thought destroyed with shattered pieces everywhere. In reality the Titan inside has been awakened after a long slumber and jumped out of the whole in the side of the ship and made it to shore.

He does not know where he is or how he got there and has no recollection of who he is. He stumbles into the city and finds that his 6'6" 600lb steely grey magical body has stopped traffic and caught him in an unwanted conflict with N.Y.'s finest. Soon the (Avengers/Team mates) show up to stop him and a battle insues. Quickly, the misunderstanding is resolved and he is excepted in as an honorary member and being helped to understand who he is and where he's from.

Or something like that. I took one existing power stunt to absorb electricity to heal himself. Kind of goes with the story of his discovery.
September 27, 2006 05:09PM
I apologize for not recognizing some of the traits of the mineral form in the UPB. It's been awhile since I looked at those descriptions. You are free to use any traits listed under the Mineral form that the UPB mentions. Those won't count against your Character Points either. I'll just consider it something like "racial traits" in D&D.

I'm been busy the last few days, but I'm going to be giving some more info on the game soon. When I do decide on the storyline, I'll post a separate thread.

I can tell you that I want it to be an Avengers Franchised type kick-off, but I'm most likely going modify the adventure in Avengers-Coast-to-Coast including key details, villains etc.
September 27, 2006 06:21PM
Sounds good. Is there anyone else onboard with this. I think we might need to start a new thread when you decide the story and try recruiting again. I see the original post has 186 viewers to our now 15 to 20.
September 27, 2006 09:05PM
I'd like to. I'm debating which character to use. I've got a few in my head, but only a couple statted out so far:

1. The Builder, a Biology major who was rooming with a Chemistry major. While both were working in their room, a combination between their respective works created a mist in the air causing them both to lose conciousness. Upon awakening, he found he could move at an enhanced rate and temporarily tap into an intelligence even higher than normal. After reaching his limit a few times, he discovered that he was able to remember (but not always understand) almost everything that happened. He had seen molecules and understood how to connect sets of molecules between objects.

2. Guiding Light, trained in unarmed fighting and meditations. He was born with the ability to generate an aura of light, and has developed the ability to levitate. Since then, he has learned to use his ability to change light, rather than just generate it. He has been developing as a leader as he grew up.

3. Speaker, born a human, had never been that lucky. In fact, his life had led up to him having lived on the streets for years. One day, he was woken up while sleeping in an alley when a mutant who generated large amounts of radiation fell on him. A few days later, he was in the park when a tree began talking with him. A couple more voices joined in, as the squirrels began chiming in. Lately, he finds that while he has many things to talk to, he is doing much better.
However, of course, he has begun fighting his own mind, as he must listen to his food.

A few concerns/questions about each that I'm not sure on, though:
The Builder, I was hoping to have his Am Hyper-Intelligence be linked to his Gd Hyper-speed. Simply put, the higher rank of Hyper-speed he can use, the higher rank of Hyper-Intelligence he can use. My thinking currently is that each CS of Hyper-Speed increases the allowed Hyper-Intelligence by 2CS.
This allows him to use either, but Power Reduction/Negation on his Hyper-Speed has a large effect on Hyper-Intelligence (at the current rank, if his Hyper-Speed was reduced by -1CS, the most effect his Hyper-Intelligence could do is at Rm. At any rank, if it were completely negated, Hyper-Intelligence would be unable to work.)
Or maybe this is too complicated... I only understand it after taking a few trips through it, myself, and may not be explaining it well.

Guiding Light is fairly straightforward, but for Speaker:
Would it be possible and/or problematic to have the Communication Powers activate on their own, rather than just at will, thus allowing things to talk to him without being prompted?
Joe
September 27, 2006 09:11PM
Was the 666 intentional?
Joe
Questions?
September 27, 2006 09:22PM
I may be interested in making a character. Could you give me some more information on limits or what is aloud and not aloud? How do you count powers like total memory, water freedom, water breathing and other powers that don't have ranks? If we choose character types or powers, then we get there benefits without counting towards are point total? Are there any powers that are off limits? What if I wanted to make a character like Mimic? Would I have to take power duplication multiple times? What if I wanted it to work like his, and have it copy powers, talents and abilities? Also are quirks allowed? Sorry about all of the questions, I just wanted some more direction.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.