PDF Projects and Discussion (Long, but PLEASE read.)

Posted by ThatArtGuy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
PDF Projects and Discussion (Long, but PLEASE read.)
July 17, 2006 02:47AM
I've been receiving messages lately by different people discussing PDF projects. (i.e. do better scans exist, or if they exist at all, where to find them, etc.) I wasn't aware that I was an authority on the subject. ;) I thought it would be a wise idea to start a thread dedicated to the subject of people's attempts and successes to bring more Marvel to the masses.

First, and most importantly, I am only speaking about myself in this post. Other scanners may participate, which is great, but this initial post reflects my opinions only, and should be taken as such.

Secondly, I thought that this post needed to be made and discussion started.

Scanners will benefit from this thread since they hopefully will share their ideas and plans so they won't duplicate other's efforts needlessly. Scanners will also benefit from the downloaders' feedback. Downloaders will also benefit since they will know that they are participating and helping.

Many PDF's, to my current knowledge (July 17th, 2006) plainly do not exist (Thunder Over Jotunheim), need missing parts (Secret Wars), are desperately in need of a better scan (no offense to the original scanners), or need material in better condition to scan (Breeder Bombs).

I have many items still in the shrinkwrap and/or in mint or near mint condition for scanning. However...

This is what I'm working on at the moment:

6906 Lands of Dr.Doom (I'm working on this with Swirler. 80% complete. Sorry to let the cat out of the bag, bdon't worry, it'll be worth the wait, and the humongous download. It's shaping up to be an awesome release. In my humble opinion it's the crown jewel of the Marvel RPG collection. Doom will hopefully be pleased with my presentation. If not, you might not see me for awhile.) ;)

In the future I'd like to work on:

6908 MHR3 Avengers Archives (I'd love to do this one, but don't own it. Anyone want to donate it to me?)

What I'd like to see:

6860 MHSP1 Secret Wars (Needs a NM Scan and current PDF is missing the Map.)
6869 MHSP2 Secret Wars II (Needs a NM Scan and current PDF is missing the Map.)

6892 MLA1 After Midnight
6895 MLA2 Night Moves
6897 MLA3 Night Life (I know one of these has been released. I'd like to see all of them.)

I can make a list of available/unavailable/needed in better condition PDF's later. (Anyone want to post one for me?) First, I would like more input on people's thoughts on quality.

A lot of people like my releases because they contain *everything* and that they are very high res (print quality at 300dpi). Some people don't like my scans for the same reason. The files are too big, and contain "unnecessary information" and take too much space and bandwidth. What are your thoughts?

Some people prefer PDF's that are OCR'd, some don't. (Use wikipedia if you're not sure what OCR is.) Thoughts?

If a mint copy does not exist, would people like PDF's that are "artificially enhanced" (i.e. Photoshopped to look mint if no mint copy exists) or do you prefer PDF's "in the raw?" Straight scan, color corrected, and cropped even though they have rough edges from shelf wear. I know my thoughts, I'd like to hear yours first.

Here's a major question from me... Do you want maps split up into many 8x10 pages or as a single, large map that you can cut up in a program yourself? I know which is easier to provide, and which one is easier to print, but what do you think? (Again, I'm holding my opinion until later.)

What is the public's scanning priority for the following:

1. Material that hasn't been scanned at all.
2. Material that needs a better scan.
3. Material that is missing parts.

Scanners, how do you choose projects, and how does it relate to the above paragraph? I'm very choosy with my projects since Real Life(tm) tends to not allow much time for it. My personal criteria I use to choose is:

1. Has it already been released?
2. Can I do it better? (Better scan, parts missing.)
3. How will it benefit the community?
4. Does it provide a challenge?
4. Is it something people want?
5. Is it something that *I* want?

Jotunheim was on my list to scan since it provides "unique" barriers to it being scanned. I'm still scratching my head on how to do it since I believe it uses non-photo blue ink in the areas that you're supposed to read with the red film. A scanner will have a hard time reading it.

Any other sets provide unique challenges? (Yes, I already know maps are a pain in the.... uh, neck.)

Downloaders, what do you want to see next? Is there something we can do to improve things? Is there something missing? How do you use these PDF's? (i.e Print them out, just read onscreen, at your game, just for reference, just adding to your PDF collection?)

I look forward to your responses.

ThatArtGuy
Dr. Cripple again
Re: PDF Projects and Discussion (Long, but PLEASE read.)
July 17, 2006 08:11PM
Art Guy, I prefer OCRs because I like to "listen" to the pdfs, but I know that isn't always practical because of the condition of the originals, so as long as the scan is clearly readable, its OK by me.
July 21, 2006 02:04PM
It is possible to have the best of both worlds!

If you use a professional piece of OCR software such as Abbyy FineReader Professional it will achieve near perfect results (assuming the initial scan is good). It allows you to specify the resolution of the final images to be included in the PDF AND it auto-calculates how they should be cropped to fit into the page layout - if the result is not correct the software will allow you to alter the cropping boundaries.

I could go on and on about the versatility of this software but I'd suggest picking up the New York, New York pdf to see the results of a file generated by this software.

Afadhali kufa kuliko kuaibika
(Better dead than ashamed)
July 21, 2006 03:09PM
> If you use a professional piece of OCR software
> such as Abbyy FineReader Professional it will
> achieve near perfect results (assuming the initial
> scan is good).

I have used Abbyy, and the results don't look the same to me. My preference is something that looks exactly the same, not a close approximation. Fitting the pdf onto a floppy isn't as much as a concern for me than putting out a PDF the replicates exactly what I see on the page. This is why I have my slogan on my logo.

It's similar to comparing a compressed mp3 with an uncompressed wav file. Sure, it might be great for demoing a song, but I wouldn't want it for archival purposes. Especially when a trained ear can easily tell the difference.

If people want to OCR it for themselves, that's fine. If they want to redistribute it, I'd like to see it first, since my name is on it. However, since I know that this is the internet, people will probably do it anyway, in a way that I will or won't approve, with or without my name on it.

I know that I do this for the community, and not everyone sees things the way I do. It is just sometimes difficult to see people haphazardly (not meaning you, Silverback) do what they want with something you put so much time and thought into.

C'est la vie. I'm fine with the whole thing, *as long as the originals are availabe along with the low res versions.* Of course, I still have my originals.

I did my best work on the best product (in my opinion) for the system. I deserve a rest now. ;)

edit: adding my thought on the originals being available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2006 03:19PM by ThatArtGuy.
Attn: Silverback
July 21, 2006 09:28PM
I'm sorry if it seemed that I flew off the handle. I looked at the above post and it seemed kind of snobbish to me. I apologize.

I *had* meant to make a low resolution version available as well. If you would like to OCR it, and pass it to me for inspection ;) , I'd like it to be available as well. (Alongside the originals of course.)
July 22, 2006 02:51AM
To me, the ideal PDF is an extremely high-resolution (print resolution) book that's been OCR'd.

Obviously, it takes a bit of work - work that I'm not really interested in doing myself, so I'm more than happy with what people provide me.

When presented with two options, however, I'll take the better resolution - but when both print and screen res books have been available, I've put both on my website.

Now then, with that said, I'd like to make an offer:

As far as I know, there's still quite a few books that haven't been converted to PDF, yes?

I believe that I have at least one copy of every book out there, if not multiples.

I'm not presently looking to sell any of them, but I'd be willing to ship them to a trusted source for scanning, with the guarantee that I get them back.

The majority of my source material is "fine" to "near-mint", so it should make great scans.

Let me know.
July 22, 2006 07:26AM
Well I would volunteer but, being unemployed, I can't afford the shipping fees from the UK. Maybe if I find myself in employment the situation may change - probably to having the money but not the time!

Afadhali kufa kuliko kuaibika
(Better dead than ashamed)
July 22, 2006 10:54AM
Hold that thought, Kythri.

I'm picking up a scanner on Momday!!!

I'll have to see how it scans and how well before I step up and
take you up on that!

Niniri

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.