To many omnipotent beings

Posted by Galactus 1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
To many omnipotent beings
May 20, 2006 10:48AM
It seems that Marvel comics has way to many omnipotent beings.I find it annoying and way over kill that Marvel has a new omnipotent beings every month.And they all seem to be immature egomanicals it would be nice to see a few more benevolent omnipotent beings.DC comics doesnt seem to have such a glutteney of cosmic beings.What are your thoughts on this topic are there to many cosmic beings?.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2006 10:50AM by Galactus 1.
Re: To many omnipotent beings
May 20, 2006 03:56PM
Marvel has always prided itself on its well developed universe and cosmic beings. Everything from death, life, Gods ect. A large reason that you have so many of these beings is because of the silver surfer. A hero who spends a great amount of his time not stopping crimes on earth but in space. DC never really had that. ya the green lantern cor is supposed to be that but most GL comics actually take place on earth. Surfer opened the door and Marvel had a great number of guys follow Quasar, warlock, ect. Even the Fantasic four spends a lot of time in space rather then on earth. These comics really brought into existance some really powerful cosmic beings. I personally like them.

And I am not sure if there are more evil cosmic beings then good. Most of them tend to be above such concepts. Death, Eternity, tribunial, and Galactus the big heavy hitters are neither bad or good.
May 20, 2006 04:31PM
I too kinda like the idea of a well-rounded universe as compared to DC's way of just making up Cosmic Beings to suit a story or crossover (my opinion).
It open's up the storytelling a bit when you have many entities/beings to touch upon in a cosmic level campaign/story.
May 20, 2006 10:29PM
I don't like all the cosmic beings. They should be above and beyond my understanding. So they are.
As for Galactus, he's a bad guy, in my oppinion. Yes, I know, the poor guy's just hungry. So he's not evil. But still. It's not OK to eat my planet. Therefore, when he stops by to eat us, to ME, he's a "bad guy" who needs to be stopped.

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
May 20, 2006 10:52PM

A hero who spends a great amount of his time not stopping crimes on earth but in space. DC never really had that. ya the green lantern cor is supposed to be that but most GL comics actually take place on earth.
That's b/c the GL comics focus on the GL assigned to the Earth sector, a character folks on Earth know as Green Lantern. (The title isn't Green Lantern Corps, so we only see the adventures of one member... though, since that actually is the title of the comic now, maybe we will see more.) The other thousands of members are working all over the rest of the Universe. Just like the majority of Avengers & JL comics take place in America, even though they're both supposed to be a global team -- it's easier to write about folks in a place the writers know than a place the writers don't.

I too kinda like the idea of a well-rounded universe as compared to DC's way of just making up Cosmic Beings to suit a story or crossover (my opinion).
Yeah, it's much better when Marvel takes established characters and tuns them into insane quasi-cosmic beings (Scarlet Witch) :P And, Marvel has done that in the past -- Abraxas and the Beyonder, f'r example.
May 21, 2006 09:50AM
I like the cosmic beings[I dont think very many are omnipotent] The elders, the heralds,the shiar,badoon skrulls,and kree, great fun if they are written in adventures that make sense for someone of there stature.I mean where would the fantastic four be withought there cosmic villians and entities.

I don't feel characters like onslaught or scarlet witch are cosmic entities or omnipotent. They are storyline gimics. now thats not to say I wont enjoy reading about them, I just dont feel they are cosmic characters.
May 21, 2006 10:21AM
There are to many powerful cosmic beings,and they all all seem to be meglomanics.I like just the Aim and hydra and thugs as bad guys
May 21, 2006 11:34AM
I would classify such beigns as Eternity, Death, Law, Chaos, Entropy, In-Between, Living Tribunal, Galactus, the Celestials, and other similar beings as "cosmic". And I might be moved to include such beings as the Elders of the Universe and the Skyfathers of Earth's pantheons, but they're not really in the same "class" for the lack of a better word.

Are there too many? Well, no, I don't think so. Especally not those represnting the basic, fundamanetal foces of the cosmos, eg. Death, Entropy, Tribunal.

I don't get how Galactus has come to be placed on par with Death and Eternity. I mean, I understand that Big G surivived the death and rebirth of the cosmos, but he seems to occupy a place I once thought belonged to the Tribunal.

Anyway, I don't like Galactus being so high on the scale. I do like Galactus, but pre90's Galactus... more of an advanced Elder of the Universe than a fundamental force.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
May 21, 2006 12:06PM
I don't buy into the idea that Marvel has more Cosmic bings than DC. Take a look at DC and you'll see half of them are gods in power if not in name anyway. And one major thing DC does that Marvel does not is make Juedo-Chrisitian beliefs an actually reality in their Universe. In DC God does exist and is the master of all. In Marvel there are many different levels of power and they all acknolwedge levels of power beyond themselves. Beyond the Galactus's and such there is Eternity who bows before the might of the Living Tribunal who he himself has said represents a power much greater than himself.

As a matter of fact the only reference I ever remember reading in a Marvel comic about a supreme being is during the Infinity Abyss (or whichever the last of the Infinity series was called anyway) Thanos refers to a beaing who allowed him to gain absolute control of the universe so that he might right the wrong that had been done to the fabric of the universe when Wonder Man died and came back to the land of the living (which is when they started the dead is dead policy that lasted about 2 minutes). Thanos came to realize that Whoever/whatever this being is it allowed him to get the power so he could make the ultimate sacrifice and stop the unraveling that began when people started beng brought back from the grave.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
May 21, 2006 04:49PM
Its true God does exist in DC its one of the things I like about DC.I guess political correctness is in Marvel.I guess they are afraid to offend people with that terrible word God.But there seems to be far more cosmic beings in Marvel and they almost all seem to be power Hungry immature idiots.It would be nice to have some mention of Jesus or God in Marvel some.They have all the other Gods in their comics Thor and zeus.But no Jesus or God talk about unopened mindedness
May 21, 2006 06:10PM
Well, the religions of the Book have, historically, been very bigoted and condescending toward both other non-Bible/Koran/Old Testament/Judaic religions and all of the various offshoots of it's own vine.

How do you include something so rabidly unaccepting of difference and so full of itself? And in a heroic world at that? Save perhpas as a villain. And then you have to dress it up in various costums to avoid offending.

But in fact, there is plenty of talk about God and gods in Marvel -- God being a native Teutonic and Indo-Germanic word --just not plenty of talk of the Biblical God/s.

There has even been talk of the Christian deity in the Thor comicbook, in which te writer expressed the lack of acceptence of the Christian deity for Thor, and presumably any other.

Also, there is that little bit about idolatry in the OT that might make characatures of a Biblical deity highly offensive... and to a rather large body of folk at that.

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

May 21, 2006 06:12PM
If you wanna see religion in comics thats your thing, but I like that Marvel lets its readers decide if there is a god or not and doesn't force anyone version of religion on its readers. I don't need my comics telling me what is and is not when it comes o faith. Hell if anything Marvel has more of a mid-easern feel to its comics than western.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
May 21, 2006 06:57PM
Warlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you wanna see religion in comics thats your
> thing, but I like that Marvel lets its readers
> decide if there is a god or not and doesn't force
> anyone version of religion on its readers. I don't
> need my comics telling me what is and is not when
> it comes o faith. Hell if anything Marvel has more
> of a mid-easern feel to its comics than western.

No way. As you jut wrote, Marvel is inclined to let it's readers decide. It is also morally complex, expansive in it's perception of reality, and accepting of difference, very far from the dualistic absolutes spawned out of the Middle East... and carried into Greece, and later Rome, following Alexander the Great's Imperialistic conquests.

Marvel is very Western, and particularly Celto-Teutonic in it's tone.

One could say that the dominant pantheons in both Marvel and DC reflect the general atmosphere of belief.

May 21, 2006 09:22PM
Marvel has on many occasions hinted at God being above all. when the living tribunal has made reference to a higher being that he answers to. It is generially belieave he is referring to god. Also Jesus Christ him self appeared in a comic I remember about 12 years ago expressing the very same ideas. Relgion deservers to be in comic books. Look comics like all forms of media and writing are a reflection of the society that creates them. The comics are created in america by american writers and read by Americas (predominatly. So the comics are going to reflect those values. As America is a predominately christian country you can expect Christianity to appear in comics, an it should. Especially when you think the comics take place in America with American characters. Those characters should also reflect the views, values and traditions of Americans and the west at least.
May 22, 2006 05:18AM
I've always been under the impression that te "higher being" LT was referring to was Stan Lee, i.e. he was meta-gaming/breaking the Fourth Wall.
May 22, 2006 06:18AM
no offense to Stan, but wouldn't that be a let down, getting to the Pearly Gates and you hear "Excelsior!"
The Supreme Being with goofy glasses, that are one shade below Harry Carry's, and white-walls. (sigh)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2006 06:18AM by davidrpaige.
May 22, 2006 08:02AM
Eh, when the F4 went to Heaven, G'd looked an awfullot like Jack Kirby.
May 22, 2006 09:06AM
The intrusion of "literalistic" Christian concepts in the Marvel Universe misses the point. Marvel, at its best, was an "all inclusive" universe. As far as the MU is concerned, Big Bang theory and biological evolution exists right along-side gods and magic. I LOVE that all-inclusiveness.

Christian myth is often portrayed as being superior to others simply because it is still literally believed (unfortunately) in the 21st century. Of course some creators think more scientifically than others.
May 22, 2006 10:04AM
Seems now might be an apporpriate time to put back up the link to The Religious Affiliation of Comic Book Characters.
May 22, 2006 10:16AM
Of course, at the same time as we recognize that comics are a product of American culture, which is predominantly Christian, at least in name, it is also a Teutonic culture founded on Teutonic values and speaking a Teutonic language. In fact, the popular Christianity of the States, and in fact the West itself, is rife with holdovers from the ancient Heathenisms of Western Europe.

Try it out. Look in the Bible. Where is there a beleif in Heaven, Hell or an immortal soul? There is plenty of talk of Judgement Day, the resurrection of the dead, the casting of the greater part of humanity into a lake of fire (Gehenna) resulting in their compleyte destruction, and the recreation of the Garden of Eden, but no Heaven, Hell, or immortality of soul.

How about Easter? Christmas? The belief that good works, and not faith alone, brings one closer to the divine.

I've been studying this stuff for over a decade with the aid of all kinds of folks with PhD's, Master degreesa nd Bachelors. Serious folk who have worked hard to establish a good reputation, and who aren't inclined to fabricate the past just to sell a few books. The list goes on.

Hell, we even regularly refer to a deity that for all intents and purposes in Middle Eastern, like he is one of our native pantheon -- the term Almighty God, and even just plain God for that matter, was well worn with use before the Christians ever started using it. It refers to Thunor, aka Thor.

Anyway, not to slight JC... despite what homicidal, hypocritical whack jobs his followers, or at least their leaders have traditionally been. I'd take JC over Caesar anyday. But I'd take the real JC, not the blonde haired, blue-eyed, ever changing flavour of the decade JC that is regualrly used to denigrate others and justify someone or antohers prejudice and hatreds. Oh, and that would be "take him" as a hero, amongst many other heroes equally worthy, and NEVER as a lord and savior.

Anyway, we've recently been debating the "Cry-Heretic" mentality that is so ingrained in the Western psyche, and how it has no place in our Teutonic faith community (even as strong respect for the lore and ancestors does) on another list, so hopefully this will be the last post I make of a strongly religious natuer here.

Sorry folks.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.