For the folks who don't actually read comics

Posted by Dr Archeville 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
For the folks who don't actually read comics
May 11, 2006 05:54AM
What's Going On In Marvel Comics
First, there was Avengers: Disassembled. Then, House of M. Which then lead to Decimation (which is closely tied to Son of M and The 198).

And while Decimation's going on, there's also Deadly Genesis and Civil War.

(Civil War broke apart the Illuminati. The Illuminati was a secretive group made up of Black Bolt of the Inhumans, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Namor the Sub-Mariner, and Professor X. Iron Man & Mr. Fantastic are both for the Superhuman Registration Act, while Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, and Namor are against it; Xavier's not voted since he's been MiA since before House of M. Thus, Marvel's retconned something into existence so they can take it apart, and then expect us to care about it as though it had been something we'd known about all along....)
Re: For the folks who don't actually read comics
May 12, 2006 08:32AM
Thanks, Doc.

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
May 12, 2006 11:45AM
This nonsense is exactly why I personally mandated my "continuity that counts" cut off limited to 1991. (or the end of the first Infinity Gauntlet affair)
May 12, 2006 06:08PM
Why is this non sense I think its a pretty good story line.
May 12, 2006 07:49PM
I am enjoying the present Civil War crossover. I think that it has been along time coming, and if nothing else will come to bring real meaning back to the idea of secret identities... for some.

Another thing that I like about it is that we are see people who are *supposed* to be heroes actually acting that way. Afterall, it really easy to project all one's own immoraltiy off on the otherside and to beleive onbe's own side is the paragon of virtue. So, whats even better is that these people behaving thusly are... on BOTH sides.

:-o

Can't say that I like the art, for all that it meets quality specifications. However, in superhero comicbooks men DON'T have *upper lips*. It goes against convention. The only time men in superhero comics are permitted to have upper-lips is if it is to accentuate some form of eccentricity or personal flaw.

In Heavy Metal Magazine art, man upper-lips are fine. Not so in superhero comics, but I've coped with worse back in the 90's, so I'll hang in there for now.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
May 12, 2006 08:12PM
I like uppper lips.

I mean spidy is going to be going through a tough time in this series.

How do you expect him to keep a stiff upper lip if he does't have one?
May 12, 2006 08:41PM
junderway Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I mean spidy is going to be going through a tough
> time in this series.
>
> How do you expect him to keep a stiff upper lip if
> he does't have one?

LOL!!
May 23, 2006 06:54PM
So, it seems Powersurge and I are the only ones here who actually read Marvel's comics.

This can't be true... can it?
May 23, 2006 07:28PM
No I read them regularly. ABout $20 a week in comics
May 23, 2006 07:31PM
Yeah. And I've only recently returned to comicbook reading after nearly a 10 year abscence.

Things is differnt. Cyke is, like, in a relastionship with, like, Emma Frost.

Brrrr...
May 23, 2006 09:05PM
Dr Archeville Wrote:
> So, it seems Powersurge and I are the only ones
> here who actually read Marvel's comics.
>
> This can't be true... can it?

What's a comic?

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
May 23, 2006 10:26PM
*beats Mark with a folding chair*
May 24, 2006 08:58AM
Nah, I read Comics too- I'm always just about a month behind everyone else getting them.

I decided to go the TPB route with the whole Civil War thing; had to draw the line somewhere, what with the comics I get monthly.

In my game, we started up pretty much at the end of Avengers: Disassembled. Big differences in our campaign world: Avengers (to date) have never re-assembled, so no "New Avengers" or "Young Avengers"; The whole House of M thing never happened, so Mutant Town (District X) is alive & well; A lot of those related events never transpired.

Dr Archeville Wrote:
> So, it seems Powersurge and I are the only ones
> here who actually read Marvel's comics.
>
> This can't be true... can it?
May 24, 2006 10:09AM
Damn straight. Beat Mark one for me too!! Afterall, everyone knows that a comic is a person who gets up in font of an audience and says funny things. Pffft. Some people. ;-)
May 24, 2006 10:59AM
*beats Powersurge with a folding chair*
May 24, 2006 03:07PM
I only pick up 3 books a month... Runaways, Young Avengers and Thunderbolts... I'll be adding the Runaways & Young Avengers miniseries when it comes out, but the Y.A. regualr will be on hiatus anyway...

I try to follow everything else from afar... New Avengers is a total piece of BS. I've never cared much for the FF and the X-Men are too over the place and Wolverine-centric for my taste.

And I can't really afford much else anyway.

-Whatever is causing the Joan Collins 'tude, deal with it. Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever, but get over it.
May 24, 2006 04:03PM
I'm mostly just "browsing" right now, and haven't committed to any titles.

I'm reading "the Collective" arc in the New Avengers... drawn in by some fond Avengers memories and the Alpha Flight connection. I probably won't keep at the title though, no matter what it calls itself.

I've read the entire Sentinels O*N*E mini-series. I liked the idea, if not the entire Giant Robots vs. Giant Dinosaurs, and have heard talk that soon the Sentinel O*N*E folks are going to come to a head in their relationship with the X-Men. Who woulda thunk it?

Nevertheless, as whacked out and mind boggling as the various X-Men titles seem these days -- Cyke is, ummm, "involved" with, like Emma Frost ( I can't get over hte fact) -- I might pick up this story arc just to see how it plays out.

I recently picked up a copy of Ms. Marvel, in which the Brood reappear on Earth fleeing and even greater predator, but I probably won't follw the rest of the arc, let alone the title.

I've gotten the first issue of the FF with the return of Thor's hammer in it. 2nd printing, lame cover. :-( Obviously, I'll be following the rest of this arc.

Mostly I'm focusing on the Civil War crossover, which will reintroduce me to alot of various heroes, span multiple titles, and give me a really good idea if I want to start "collecting" by title again. Maybe I'll just stick with collecting various story-arcs.

I'm particularly curious as to what a particular title that is launchiung out of Civil War is going to be. Word is that it is not a *new* Alpha Flight title, but that AF fans are going to love it.

Can you say, evasive...

Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
May 24, 2006 07:02PM
Having Sentinels protect the Xavier mansion is like having Panzerkampfwagenss (German WW II tanks) guard Israel. Doesn't matter who's piloting 'em, it just looks wrong.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.