New suits for Web Head and Shell Head

Posted by Epyon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Epyon
New suits for Web Head and Shell Head
April 26, 2006 04:15PM
If you check out Spider Man #531, you will see that Spidey's new suit allows him to glide, is equipped with very powerful waldo-type tentacle arms (capable of piercing the Titanium Man's armor), and probably provides some degree of resistance to injury. Anyone know what else Peter's new threads can do? I haven't been reading enough issues of SM to get a sense of its precise capabilities, but color me impressed.

Of course, if you REALLY want to be impressed, check out New Avengers Annual #1. When an adaptoid type being absorbs the powers of the new team (including Sentry, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Iron Man, Wolverine, Ms. Marvel/Binary, and Cage) and starts trashing the Avengers, Iron Man, in full Extremis mode, operates at least two dozen Iron Man armors simultaneously, and starts beating on the adaptoid until Sentry exposes it to the Void aspect of his power, driving it insane. Then, in Iron Man: Inevitable #5, Tony reveals he sent an Iron Man drone to fight the Ghost, and that he could have sent 100 drones if he wanted. I can see now why Marvel is touting this new Extremis Iron Man as Marvel's equivalent of Super Man. Could ANYone in the MU withstand a fight against 100 Iron Men? Sheesh...
Re: New suits for Web Head and Shell Head
April 26, 2006 05:04PM
The tenticle arms are not actually supposed to be used for combat. Tony kind of said this him self when he introduced them. Spidy just used them for a surpirse factor and it looks like he hit the week points in Titanium Man's armor just enough to disrupt the sensors in the helmet.

I have not read the annual yet its sitting on my bed I will get to that before the end of the night.

100 Iron men, who could beat them? A lot of people considering they are all controled by Tony. I would say 1 jaime Madrox trumps them all. 1 million guys running around taking turns sleeping waiting for tony to fall asleep at the controls. He is a full blown army of 1. It was said in a recent X-factor that he is the most powerful mututant alive (though acts like the weakest) I always thought this.
April 26, 2006 09:28PM
I just finished the issue. I dont think in any way marvel is making Iron Man marvels superman. If they are doing that with any character it would be sentry who seems to be unstoppable. All those Iron man armors and all they were doing was slowing Adaptoid down a bit.

Lets face it while Extremis certainly did increase Tonys connections to the armor controlling all those armors can't be easy. In many ways the more armors you add the worse it gets. Tony was calling out shots b12 punch, b15 upper cut, I am not too sure that was really that impressive. And I would have to think that would become very exhausting in a short period of time. How long can he keep that up do you think? At least a army of doom bots can think for them selves and never tire. Don't get me wrong it was cool but I will take one super man over 100 slowing controlled Iron men any day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2006 09:29PM by junderway.
April 26, 2006 10:07PM
I was fairly certain Sentry was supposed to be Marvel's take on Superman.
Well, him, and Hyperion.

Sentry "exposed it to the Void aspect of his power"? I thought the Void was some uncontrollable dark thing that would destroy all Creation if it was unleashed...?

Spidey's new suit (from Wikipedia):

Recently, Spider-Man has received a controversial new suit of armor from Tony Stark that was custom built to enhance his abilities. Supported by a system similar to that of Stark's classic 'Iron Man' design, it features many gadgets, including three mechanical spider-arms to allow him to see around corners (via cameras in the tips) and manipulate objects indirectly - though they are too delicate to use in combat. Other features include, but are not limited to: gliding for short distances, limited bullet-proofing, built in fire, police, and emergency scanner, audio and visual amplification including infrared and ultra-violet, carbon filters in the mouth area to keep out toxins, and a short range GPS microwave communication system. All of these are routed through a computerized control system in the chestpiece. It can also "more or less disappear" when not needed, as it responds to neurochemical pulses. The new costume was also able to conform to other styles Spidey had affected over the years, and even has the ability to camouflage into a variety of backgrounds... the darker the better.
April 27, 2006 12:11AM
I know that A LOT of fans hate Spiderman's new costume...but I actually find the concept really cool. What's so wrong with Spiderman accepting some new enhancements? I thought it was a shame when they made him "forget" impact webbing and stingers because they wanted to "forget" the clone saga.

The colors and design of Spidey's threads are rather undesirable, but I like everything else (maybe not the extra legs...)
April 27, 2006 06:19AM
Soo... you like the built-in police scanners and IR vision?

What's so wrong with Spidey accepting new enhancements? He's not Iron Man, that's what. He's been doing just fine for four decades without any real addition of ability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2006 06:21AM by Dr Archeville.
Epyon
April 27, 2006 07:22AM
I can't say I'm a fan of the new color scheme for Spidey. It looks very minor league. I agree with Doc in a sense... my thought is, if Spidey was going to get some enhancements, it would have been much cooler if he came up with them himself. Peter isn't Tony Stark or Reed Richards, but he's no slouch in the electronics department. Didn't he come up with some hi-tech gear when he took on four alternate identities? Why does Peter need Tony for his stuff? With the possible exception of those robot arms, Peter could have come up with the stuff his new costume has on his own, couldn't he?

As for Iron Man, sure there are ways to beat him, especially when he's not in the armor. He's pretty much a normal guy without it. But in a straight-up fight? You're talking 24, heck, 100 suits of armor, each of which can press 85 tons. That's pretty impressive. I don't care if you have a million Jamie Madroxes. They all have only human strength, no energy projection powers, etc. Madrox wouldn't stand a chance against the likes of the Hulk or Thor, who would mow through his duplicates like they were made of wheat. On the other hand, when you consider ONE Iron Man can give the Hulk a very hard time, a HUNDRED Iron Men would almost certainly beat the Hulk.

Junderway, I know you like to rag on IM, but are you looking at what I'm looking at? In Avengers Annual #1, the adaptoid is down (if not out) when Sentry intervenes. You're talking about a character that had thrown Sentry around like a rag doll. I guess we'll learn more in the upcoming Iron Man #10, when Sentry takes on Iron Man.
April 27, 2006 08:08AM
Why does Parker need Tony for this?
So he can suck up to him during Civil War.
April 27, 2006 08:27AM
Apparently, Spidey is top on the list of rogue spb's during Civil War, and is going to be subject to some very nasty nastiness.

His relationship with Stark would thus seem to be coming to an end, and one would think with the armour as well.

Hey, I got an idea. After Spidey abandons the armour, we could say that it had slowly been evolving A.I. and is now jealous and wants to kill Spidey? So it goes after him. Yeah... YEAH!!!!

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
April 27, 2006 09:37AM
Epyon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't say I'm a fan of the new color scheme for
> Spidey.

Nice thing about it though is it can change color and appearance. If he gets tired of looking like spidy IM he can make it look like his old costume.

I agree with
> Doc in a sense... my thought is, if Spidey was going
> to get some enhancements, it would have been much
> cooler if he came up with them himself. Peter
> isn't Tony Stark or Reed Richards, but he's no
> slouch in the electronics department.
didn't he
> come up with some hi-tech gear when he took on
> four alternate identities? Why does Peter need
> Tony for his stuff? With the possible exception
> of those robot arms, Peter could have come up with
> the stuff his new costume has on his own, couldn't
> he?

You guys are right Parker is a brilliant guy and could likly build some of the stuff Stark did in his costume. Though i am not sure how familar Peter is with Nano technology but certainly some of the stuff is he smart enough to build. However, can he offord to build that stuff even if he knows how. A teachers salary does not usually pay enough to pay the bills and make experimental armors. Plus regular people network and help each other out its naive to think super heros wouldn't.

> As for Iron Man, sure there are ways to beat him,
> especially when he's not in the armor. He's
> pretty much a normal guy without it. But in a
> straight-up fight? You're talking 24, heck, 100
> suits of armor, each of which can press 85 tons.
> That's pretty impressive.

Its very impressive I just don't think it is superman level. Mostly because all the armors are going to have a pretty slow reaction time being controlled by one guy. Even if he is nero linked to them.

I don't care if you
> have a million Jamie Madroxes. They all have only
> human strength, no energy projection powers, etc.

However 1000 million Madroxs is an army. That doesnt need to sleep and keep be every where. They also share intelligence. Whats this mean? It means waiting for Stark to have to sleep, keeping him off balance till he can't function anymore. Madrox's power is okay in a straight fight but his real power lies in being everywhere. I don't want to get on madrox just yet though. I am waiting for the new x-factor to really start showing him off. I had jus tread the recent issue when i wrote my last thread and had him on my mind.

> Madrox wouldn't stand a chance against the likes
> of the Hulk or Thor, who would mow through his
> duplicates like they were made of wheat.

Madrox didnt do too bad against the hulk actually. But ya he likly could not ever take the hulk or thor. At least not in a fight.

On the
> other hand, when you consider ONE Iron Man can
> give the Hulk a very hard time, a HUNDRED Iron Men
> would almost certainly beat the Hulk.

I not sure if I am too sold on this yet. It seemed like a nice trick to add extra oppents but I dont think each armor is the equal to one iron man. Too much too control. Its impressive but we did not see it long enough to see how impressive.

>
> Junderway, I know you like to rag on IM, but are
> you looking at what I'm looking at? In Avengers
> Annual #1, the adaptoid is down (if not out) when
> Sentry intervenes.

Adaptoid is knocked down, doesnt look all that hurt and is boasting how IM can't beat him. In the panel before that i see a lot of IM armors destroyed and the other ones are trying to hold him down. As he boasts he starts to push them off to destroy more. He is more or less laughing at him. Didn't look to me like he was down and out. Maybe down but no way out.

You're talking about a
> character that had thrown Sentry around like a rag
> doll.

He did absorb the sentrys powers and the other avengers so he was sentry plus the rest. This would likly drop Thor.

I guess we'll learn more in the upcoming
> Iron Man #10, when Sentry takes on Iron Man.

Bet we dont see a clear winner.
April 27, 2006 11:21AM
Dr Archeville Wrote:
> Soo... you like the built-in police scanners and
> IR vision?
>
> What's so wrong with Spidey accepting new
> enhancements? He's not Iron Man, that's what.
> He's been doing just fine for four decades without
> any real addition of ability.

He's been doing just fine??? If memory serves me correctly he got the living piss beaten out of him by ROCKET RACER, a Z-list hero/villain/hero/villain from like the 70's...who's powers involve a rocket powered skateboard and the power to skate on rocket powered skateboard. If Spiderman's natural powers can't beat that pathetic worthless loser, than he needs all the help he can get.
Epyon
Re: New suits for Web Head and Shell Head (SPOILER alert)
April 27, 2006 11:36AM
Junderway, your point about Peter's finances is a good one, but I should point out he never lacked for $$$ to keep making his web fluid. Besides, he's on good terms with Reed Richards. Why couldn't he just ask Reed for use of his lab? Finally, now that Pete's an Avenger and has Tony Stark as a mentor, he could easily make use of Tony's billions, not to mention Tony's labs.
You are correct that all of the Iron Men's reaction times may be slow because they are all controlled by one guy. But remember, that one guy simultaneously beat up on the Crimson Dynamo, oversaw the hostile takeover of a rival company, helped designed a railgun system, and was bidding (through proxy) on a relic. So he certainly has multi-processing abilities, probably due to the Extremis virus in his system.
SPOILER ALERT: Spidey is going to be on Iron Man's side during the Civil War, at least to start. I have a feeling Peter will feel very torn about which side to take. It will be interesting to see what happens--I have a feeling Peter may switch sides at some point, particularly if he finds out Tony lied to him about the Titanium Man...
April 28, 2006 08:02PM
Didn't Ben Reilly, when he was Spider-Man, make a batch of web fluid using a $15 chemistry kit, and random items from a supermarket?

If Ben can do it, I don't see why Peter can't make any web fluid using cheap off-the-shelf items...
April 28, 2006 09:25PM
Much like everything else Ben reily did in that awful story line that was crap. Its hard enough for me to buy into the idea that peter can afford expensive chemicals for his web fluid that no one else can figure out how to make. I can turn a blind eye to that but not to him affording to make high tech suits.
April 29, 2006 06:26AM

He's been doing just fine??? If memory serves me correctly he got the living piss beaten out of him by ROCKET RACER, a Z-list hero/villain/hero/villain from like the 70's... who's powers involve a rocket powered skateboard and the power to skate on rocket powered skateboard. If Spiderman's natural powers can't beat that pathetic worthless loser, than he needs all the help he can get.
And Doom's been beat by Squirrel Girl. Point is, Parker has done fine, he's carried his own title for many decades with only his Spidey-powers (save for the rare times he had other powers, like six arms), [and he did eventually bear Rocket Racer, too], he has no real need (at least, not from a "core character concept" standpoint) for a suit of power armor, anymore than Robin does.

If Ben can do it, I don't see why Peter can't make any web fluid using cheap off-the-shelf items...
That probably is exactly what Pete's been doing all these decades.
April 29, 2006 07:47AM
Dr Archeville Wrote:
> He's been doing just fine??? If memory serves me
> correctly he got the living piss beaten out of him
> by ROCKET RACER, a Z-list
> hero/villain/hero/villain from like the 70's...
> who's powers involve a rocket powered skateboard
> and the power to skate on rocket powered
> skateboard. If Spiderman's natural powers can't
> beat that pathetic worthless loser, than he needs
> all the help he can get.
> And Doom's been beat by Squirrel Girl. Point is,
> Parker has done fine, he's carried his own title
> for many decades with only his Spidey-powers (save
> for the rare times he had other powers, like six
> arms), , he has no real need (at least, not from a
> "core character concept" standpoint) for a suit of
> power armor, anymore than Robin does.
>
> If Ben can do it, I don't see why Peter can't make
> any web fluid using cheap off-the-shelf items...
> That probably is exactly what Pete's been doing
> all these decades.

He may not need the suit of armor but would it help? Most certainly. Would it make sense for him to turn it down. Likly not.
April 29, 2006 10:11AM
I disagree, spidey's been a stand alone guy for a long time and being in the avengers is new enough but a suit of armour that slows him down as well I personally do't see it.
April 29, 2006 11:59AM
Serafita Wrote:
> Didn't Ben Reilly, when he was Spider-Man, make a
> batch of web fluid using a $15 chemistry kit, and
> random items from a supermarket?

Indeed, in Sensational Spiderman #0

> If Ben can do it, I don't see why Peter can't make
> any web fluid using cheap off-the-shelf items...

How do you guys think he made is first batch? Makes sense to me.

Skarlett da Sensational Spyder

________________________________________________________________________________
"All who wander are not lost." J.R.R. Tolkein

"History and experience have taught us that the oldest among our kind invariably prove the most formidable." Sage, X-Treme X-Men #43

"You leap like a hyena in heat!!" Conan to Wolverine, What If...? #16

"Useless, all useless...I was once a MAN!!" Cobra Commander, G.I. Joe the Movie
April 29, 2006 02:17PM

He may not need the suit of armor but would it help? Most certainly.
It doesn't seem to be helping him that much. And it still looks horrid on him.

Would it make sense for him to turn it down. Likly not.
Bah, what does "sense" have to do with comics? Narrative and character conept rule the day, not logic and expediency. It makes just as much "sense" for Stark to make custom armors for all the Avengers so as to increase their capabilities, or for Ultron to take a cue from Cassandra Nova and introduce nanorobots into the ecosphere to infect & wipe out all organic life, or for all those countles other supervillains to actually kill the heroes instead of putting them in unneccessarily slow and overly elaborate 'death traps.'
April 29, 2006 04:31PM
Speaking of the colour scheme, I've always thought it made Spider-Man and Spider-Woman match up in colour scheme a little more (coincedence, by the way, she has the same red and yellow/gold colour scheme). :D

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.