Power levels and the Superhuman Registration Act

Posted by Swordman2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Power levels and the Superhuman Registration Act
April 24, 2006 08:19AM
Hi, All:

Just how does the government propose to make the more powerful superhuman beings register themselves? I can't see people like Professor X, The Molecule Man, Magneto et al forced to do anything they don't want to.

Mike Garrity
Re: Power levels and the Superhuman Registration Act
April 24, 2006 08:28AM
How did any number of alternate futures where government action lead to the deaths of such characters come to be?

They'll find a way. If nothing else, there'll likely be enough high-powered characters who are for Registration (Sentry is, as are Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic) that they could bring in the ones who are against it (either with their own powers [Sentry, IM] or with some device they make [IM, Reed]). Baron Zemo & the Thunderbolts are already slated to be "Hero Hunters."

Magneto's powerless, so he's a non-issue. And Xavier's been MiA for months. Not sure of Molecule Man's status.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2006 08:30AM by Dr Archeville.
April 24, 2006 10:27AM
I agree with Doc. That is what Civil War is basically going to be about... Registered Superheroes fighting non-Registered Superheroes.

What I'm curious about, and what I oppose about the Act as a person who supports it's basic spirit, is the matter of all registered superhumans being drafted into SHIELD service.

Now, on THAT point, and THAT point alone I would have to oppose the Act... as a supporter of it's spirit. Afterall, econmically, it simply makes no sense to intend to employee EVERY superbeing in the USA... and apparently the solar system, ie. Black Bolt and the Inhumans.

Secondly, not all superhumans have powers or the inclination to act as supered powered police/emergency personel.

I still think that superpowered beings should be registered. If nothing else, this would lead to national programs to help mutants or their ilk deal with powers, and once tested and certified as being whatever one is, YOU COULD PUT IT ON YOUR RESUME.

I mean, who do you want working in your convenince store on the graveyear shift? Or at the door of your nightclub? Or, more poignantly, performing heart surgery on you or a loved one?

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2006 10:27AM by Powersurge.
April 24, 2006 07:15PM
Professor X is supposed to be powerless and able to walk again as per the LS: X-men Deadly Genesis

Niniri

April 24, 2006 09:55PM
Ton'y snot really in-league with the government on this. He just sees this Registration Act as an inevtiability, and is trying to get it to go as smoothly as possible, and come out on top. He doesn't seem to like it any more than most, but he is trying to do some damage control (since, as Secretary of Defense, it's something he can do).
Ajax
April 24, 2006 11:33PM
I find this whole cross-over event unrealistic, inconsistant and contrived more than the usual story line.

It's almost as if they have to forget 100's of issues of character trait personalities to get these heroes to fight between each other.

All those Marvel team-ups ( pun intended ) all those years of many heroes working together ignored. They should just promise super villains amnesty and let them go after the heroes.

PS: I realize over the years stupid misunderstandings have led to hero against hero but this plot device to me seems inconsistant to the kinds of people( heroes) I've read about and got to know.
April 25, 2006 02:43AM
who says that the super powered have a choice...
hey look Jean Gray just stopped a 10 ton bolder from making her look like a pressed daisy. Lets report her to the Registration Board.

Next thing you know ... hey presto... Jean Grays house is ransacked while she is not there.

not that hard to register someone as a super powered individual
April 25, 2006 08:09AM
No, it's not just a "we're going to register you," Fangs, it's "you're going to register yourself with us and allow us to keep tabs on you."
April 25, 2006 08:23AM
Doc:

Granted. I can however see the 'Villains' just lining up around the block to register...:-)
"Gee, Mr. Juggernaut Sir. you're a superhuman being and you have to register yourself.."
"Make me, wimp"

MIke Garrity
April 25, 2006 10:27AM
*"Wimp" presses button, opening trap-door under Juggy that leads to a pocket dimension resembling the featureless void of Family Circus*

"All ya gotta do is register, and we'll let ya out."

Besides, anyone who's ever been incarcerated likely already is registered.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 10:28AM by Dr Archeville.
April 25, 2006 11:21AM
I"ve also heard tell that Juggs is now working for the British government as a member of the New Excaliber.

It actually kind of makes sense and has been done before wih Mystiques Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. It makes the most sense for thugs that just want to beat people up. Governemtn sanction enalbes to flex their muscle, and get paid and applauded for it.
April 25, 2006 01:11PM
That, too.

"You mean, I can stay unregistered and have y'all hunt me down (which is kinda annoying)... or sign up and y'all'll pay me to beat things up? Sounds good!"
April 25, 2006 01:50PM
Read the Brave New World RPG for answers to this.

michael
April 26, 2006 09:35PM
Of course keep in mind guys like Magneto who is in control of his own government, and Doom, black Pantha are not subject to these laws as they are no U.S citizens. I would think many of the villians that have ever been arrested are already registered on some level. When they went to prison there identies were made public.
April 26, 2006 10:09PM
And some, like Doom, never really made an effort to hide their identity in the first place.

And while it's true this Registration Act is only taking place in America, it is supposed to be spreading to other UN nations (which, I suppose, is why Namor even cares about it, since Atlantis is a UN member nation).
April 27, 2006 09:39AM
it may eventually spread but that was Starks arguement in spiderman. That his will force amercca to losers heros but other nations wont have such laws and will not lose heros.
April 27, 2006 10:46AM
Really? Interesting....

So, it's back to Cold War tactics again? A superhuman arms race?
April 27, 2006 11:05AM
more or less what tony was argueing
April 28, 2006 07:55PM
Heh, just imagine if every superhero not willing to register immigrates to Canada or Mexico or something. The US government would be feeling a bit silly for losing half of it's superhero population. o_o
November 04, 2006 05:19PM
From the look at the Civil War series I think Iron Man's displaying his mental illness that has shown up in the past, only instead of hunting down people with his tech or drinking himself into a stupor he's seeking to try and control everyone without any thought to the immorality of his actions. Indefinite imprisonment because one exists is no more right than the 'relocation camps' of WWII that the Japanese had to suffer in the US. It's unfortunate Marvel forgot about a little-remembered super-character Spider-man once met, who'd been bitten by a radioactive jackrabbit and had superspeed and a danger sense. He refused to use his powers even if it meant others would die. Having him in one of those cells and going 'Spider-man, help me! This is a mistake, I don't belong here!' would have been perfect.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.