Palladium Books going under?

Posted by Dr Archeville 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Palladium Books going under?
April 22, 2006 08:24AM
Seems Palladium Books (makers of Rifts and Heroes Unlimited, among other RPGs) may be going under. Read here for details.
Re: Palladium Books going under?
April 22, 2006 08:45AM
I always liked their gun rules. Always hated everything else. Including, not simply the longness of the caracter creation, but the sheer boring-ness of the process.

Champions also took a long time, but was major fun in comparison.

Buh-bye Palladium. Maybe folks'll learn how to properly pronounce paladin now. ;-)
April 22, 2006 11:38AM
i like there stuff but man i do not have the cash to keep up with it all, think i stopped around the time Rifts: mystic Russia came out.

apart from that my absolute favorite has to be the PFG, just seems to make more sense to me is all.

my friend is really taking the news baddly, he buys every book they produce regardless of whether he'll ever get to play it or not.

I'm kinda sad that the MMO deal never went through, it would be definitly more fun (imho) than WoW., but alas no one wants to pick up that torch and run with it.

I am surprised to find that they thought the Nokia deal would go through. i mean honestly, how many people do you know with an N-gage?

ah well. they will soon join the long list of RPGs to have gone bust. sad really.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
April 22, 2006 02:07PM
Yeah, the N-Gage thing struck me as odd when I first heard it, some years back.
FNG
April 23, 2006 03:16AM
never played Rifts or Robotech. The system always struck me as clunky at best.

Played a lot of turtles and heroes, plus nightbane and ninjas and super spies. Again the system is just that bit to clunky.

But we liked the way the group could pick and chose charachter types from most of the universes and through them together for fun.

Intreged about the treachery though. Anyone got any gossip? Must be some as he says it surrounds a court case and costs

FNG
April 23, 2006 08:01AM
I really wanted that game but didn't want to get an N-Gage. I'd still like to play that game just because I have such fond memories of Rifts.
April 23, 2006 08:43AM
RIFTS was one of the first RPGs I played, and I do have some fond memories of it. The setting, for the most part, is fairly cool (at times they did go overboard with the "let's cram everything in here!," and the "power creep" effect was kinda wonky), though their rules system is clunky (at best).

Fond memories aside, I'll not shed a tear if Palladium does go under, mainly b/c of what a jerk the guy running it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 08:44AM by Dr Archeville.
April 25, 2006 08:39PM
I never worked for Palladium, as their turnaround for payment was incredible long. But I admired the wide variety of source boosk they created. Their range was second only to Steve Jackson Games.
And at a time when most "Robotech" books were still in Japanese, their Robotech source book was invaluable!
Well, at least they had a long run. A quarter century is damn good for this fickle field.

April 29, 2006 08:10AM
I like to see the gaming market do well, and was impressed with the array of products they made but didn't see much improvement in the system over time as say D&D, MSH basic to Advanced and so many others did.

The only product that I had most of the books for was Robotech. Ironically, before they ever published their game, I created a Robotech game using the Marvel system that my friends told me they enjoyed more.
May 01, 2006 06:32PM
I have a friend who has most of the Rift's books, he will be heart broken.

I have a couple of the books and while it has some neat idea's, they never spent enough time trying to improve the game mechanics, just keep popping out books with more useless classes.

If they go under, it will be too bad, but as other said they had a good run.
May 02, 2006 02:51PM
Great story lines and worlds...

Lousy game systems.

I used to buy the books just to read the back storys...
May 04, 2006 12:38PM
sounds neat! Can you post this?

michael
May 04, 2006 01:17PM
Post what?

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.