Marvel's Illuminati

Posted by Dr Archeville 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Marvel's Illuminati
March 13, 2006 05:17AM
From Wikipedia:

The Illuminati are a group of superheroes who joined forces and secretly work behind the scenes in the Marvel Universe. The group was formed after the Kree-Skrull War. Though they were around a long time beforehand, they first appeared in New Avengers #7, written by Brian Michael Bendis. Their history will be discussed in the upcoming special New Avengers: Illuminati, out 29th March 2006.

The members include Professor X, Doctor Strange, Mister Fantastic, Namor, Iron Man, and Black Bolt.

Creator Bendis says on the group's members; "They each represent a certain something that is very special to the Marvel Universe - Namor, of course, is the king of 75% of the planet and represents a certain mindset; Tony Stark represents a certain type of hero - the Avenger type of hero, one who understands and appreciates that heroes can work with the government, rather than outside of it; Reed is the 'science' side of the heroes; Black Bolt represents the Inhumans, who are an important part of Marvel history and an important part of things that are to come, as was hinted at in House of M [Black Bolt secretly worked with the rulers of several other countries to oppose Magneto; as part of this cooperation, he defeated Apocalypse who, under orders from Magneto, was invading the Black Panther's nation of Wakanda]; Dr. Strange speaks for the mystical side of the Marvel universe, and Professor Xavier is there for the mutants. They all bring with them a unique viewpoint and perspective that isn't shared by the others."

In January of 2006 the Illuminati were responsible for sending the Hulk into space. This, coupled with events elsewhere, appears to be a trigger for the upcoming Marvel crossover "Civil War"

Anyone else think this group smacks a bit of the Authority?
Re: Marvel's Illuminati
March 13, 2006 07:04AM
Only in the very vague conceptual stage. The Authority were all about the widescreen action and big fight scenes. The Illuminati are a subtle influence. They don't get together and beat up bad guys, they get together and talk. And then they go away and beat up bad guys separately, often with their own teams.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
March 13, 2006 07:23AM
Dr Archeville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tony Stark represents a certain
> type of hero - the Avenger type of hero, one who
> understands and appreciates that heroes can work
> with the government, rather than outside of it;

Really?! Is this a relatviely recent developement, because the last time I checked Iron Man (which admittedly was a very long time ago) he was going after all kinds of different armoured heroes and villians, in the service of his own ends and to hell with the government.

Or is it as Tony Stark, genius weapons contractor, that he works within the government? Or as Iron Man, but in contrast to Prof.X or Dr.Strange who either often oppose or have nothing at all to do with the government?

I always saw Cap as the Avenger-type most willing to work with the government, the chosen system and representation of a free and democractic people ... knowing at the same time that Cap has had his own conscientious objections about his own goverement in the past.

Anyway ...

March 13, 2006 08:19AM
When he discovered that the United States military was still using his technology, rather than confront them as he did before, he accepted a Presidential appointment to act as Secretary of Defense (his predecessor, Dell Rusk, had actually been the Red Skull in disguise). In this way, he hoped to be able to monitor and direct how his designs were being used. Stark continued to act as Iron Man while carrying out his government duties, until being forced to resign after a seemingly drunken tirade against the Latverian Ambassador at the United Nations. The tirade had actually been induced by the Scarlet Witch, who had gone insane (as seen in Avengers: Disassembled).
March 13, 2006 04:57PM
I don't think they're executed in the same way as the Authority. But I can see where the connections are made.
March 13, 2006 07:10PM
Oh, I'm not saying they are like the Authority, or even that they automatically will become so... but I can easily see 'em becoming as such. Yes, the Authority were about big widescren battles, but they were also about "do what we say b/c we're right, and we're right b/c we're powerful, and might makes right."
April 23, 2006 12:34PM
Iron Man and Mister Fantastic are all for the Superhuman Reguistration Act (see: Civil War).

Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, and Namor are all against it.

No word on Xavier's stance, since he's been MiA since House of M started.

Thus, Marvel's retconned something into existence so they can take it apart, and then expect us to care about it as though it had been something we'd known about all along....
Epyon
April 24, 2006 03:36PM
I know the writers wanted Cap and Iron Man to be on opposite sides of this war, but to me it doesn't make sense that Iron Man would side with the government. His dalliance with the federal government aside, IM has always been the one to go on his own, laws and regulations be @#$%ed. He broke a litany of federal and international laws in the "Armor Wars" to recover his stolen technology. He defied a direct order from a U.S. Senator to stop a madman who had gotten ahold of some nuclear missiles, etc. His willingness to work as the Secretary of Defense was not predicated on a willingness to work with the government, but his desire to monitor the U.S.' use of his Iron Man armor technology.

I just don't think it's consistent for this character to be siding against Cap on this one.

A more likely mainstream Marvel character to have gone along with the registration act? Thor.
April 25, 2006 05:12AM
I wouldn't really credit the Authority for this.
After all, Marvel did pretty much the exact same thing before with the Squadron Supreme- they pretty much took over the world, mentally forced villains to be productive citizens, etc.
April 25, 2006 08:07AM
A very good point.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.