Ulimates animated movie on DVD?

Posted by Generic Avatar 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Ulimates animated movie on DVD?
February 26, 2006 09:39AM

Actually, there is some good reason for that. If one goes back to the late Stone Age/early Bronze Age and ot the region of southern Scandinavia they will encounter ample evidence of the arrival of the Indo-Europeans (cultural fathers of a vast number of Indic, Middle Eastern and European peoples).

One piece of evidence was the appearance of the doubleheaded stone axe. These axes appeared not only in the size to be used for warfare, but also in much smaller sizes that couold be worn around the neck as amulets, even as Thor's hammer later would be. Most of these smaller axes were made of flint, and as such are further connected to the power of the thundering god.

Now, I would tend to think that this axe was the original weapon of Tyr, rather than Thor, but it clearly ends up as Thor's possession (in the slightly altered form of a hammer) by the end of the Migration Age.

Anyway, from the vantage point of geekdom, I thought that it was fairly insightful for someone to make his weapon half hammer, half axe.
Re: Saw it last night.
February 26, 2006 06:03PM
In the Ultimate universe, the Hulk is immensely powerful, more so than Thor or Iron Man or anyone. Though in the movie, they seemed to have removed some of his major weaknesses or given him counters to them (counter Wasp's shrinking into his ear by just slamming the other side of his head, for example).

Ultimate Thor isn't as powerful as 616 Thor; even Ultimate Colossus can give Ultimate Thor a good run for his money. =)
Generic Avatar
Re: Saw it last night.
February 26, 2006 09:13PM
Two things about Ultimate Thor. Thor's hammer is much more powerful in the magic department, with lightning shredding several large alien space ships at once, and it allows for instant transportation of himself and/or over 100 others across the planet, as well as capable of sending a room sized object across the dimensions w/o requiring Thor to tag along.

Furthermore, as of Ultimates Volume 2 #1, they still haven't shown whether or not Ultimate Thor is truly the Thunder God or a delusional mental patient with a "big, scary axe". They showed Thor in a resteraunt talking to Volstagg of Asgard, and at the end of the coversation, Thor finds out that nobody saw Volstagg (or his dinner) but Thor, and Volstagg (and his dinner) vanished at the end of conversation. Again leaving the question, is Thor delusional?

In as much as Ultimate Spider-man has shown that Steven Strange Jr is no one time gag April's Fool edition, it stands to reason that Asgard probably do exist.

More to the point, Ultimate Thor is a bit more entertaining as a "Warrior Hippie" than the traditional Thor.
February 26, 2006 09:51PM
A) Taarna, Thank you for the spoiler warning. I get annoyed when whoever writes the boxcovers doesn't know when to keep quiet about a plot twist! I will avoid reading it thanks to you.
B ) Powersurge. Most of the time I read your posts and nod my head; Powersurge really figure things out, and knows what he's talking about. But sometimes, I have to shake my head and ask, "How does he know this stuff. No, no. WHY does he know this stuff? ;)
QUOTE FROM POWERSURGE ABOUT THOR HAVING AN AXE: Actually, there is some good reason for that. If
> one goes back to the late Stone Age/early Bronze
> Age and the region of southern Scandinavia they
> will encounter ample evidence of the arrival of
> the Indo-Europeans...

No disrespect intended! But, I mean, Whew! B)
C) My take on all good quality animated films: I'd rather see it live action (even if, heaven forbid, it stars Shaq). But if the only way I can see the Avengers or Spawn or The Flash is in animation, I'll take it.
MARK

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 09:54PM by Mark.
February 27, 2006 12:03AM
What irritated me is that one of the 'gags' in Ultimates is that Nick Fury was a Dead ringer for Samuel L Jackson, and yet they didn't bother to have him do the voice. I don't see why they didn't... it's not like the guy doesn't do cartoon voices.

He's hilarious when he's on Boondocks.
February 27, 2006 05:35AM
Maybe Jackson was busy doing Boondocks and Snakes on a Plane at the time.
February 27, 2006 03:12PM
Probably. But it still bugged me. Heh.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.