Young Avengers

Posted by Lord_Sidious 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Young Avengers
February 19, 2006 12:58PM
ok so i'm all into reading the teen superhero stuff latly. Titans and Young Avengers are must haves for me. so who else has noticed..

Billy Kaplan and Tommy Shepard are twins. one has magic the other is a speedster and their names are the same as Wanda's "fictional" kids?

Apart from that Hulkling the child of a Skrull Princess and a Kree solider? I'm not even going to say Mar-Vell because it would be far to obvious. Yon-Rog would be a nice twist though.

am i the only one that thinks this is one of the more worthy marvel products to be put out as of late? i've been totaly put off by most of their other stuff. Avengers is just crap to me, the new spiderman is an abomination, i haven't been able to read an X-comic since Morrison.

just seems to me that they need to start focusing on the next generation of superheroes and let the older ones take more of a backseat if they truly want to revitalize the company and industry.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
Re: Young Avengers
February 19, 2006 06:22PM
I've not picked up any Young Avengers comics, but lately I've been hearing really good things about it. I may have to start picking it up, and seeing if the local comics shoppes have back issues.
February 19, 2006 07:46PM
While I haven't read the New Avengers word I've gathered is that it's a good thing. It's very existence is a good thing. Next Gen characters are WAY overdue. Marvel has dabbled with it with the Mutant titles. Avengers are way over due. Dc has done well with it.
February 19, 2006 09:59PM
New Avengers is different from Young Avengers, Bill.

And I've gotta say, the Asgardian/Wiccan & Speedster kid being Wanda's twin sons makes absolutely no sense to me -- her kids never really existed in the first place.
February 20, 2006 12:51AM
Right, but she just warped reality on a grand scale in any case. In between depowering ten million mutants and resurrecting Hawkeye, who is to say she didn't take a moment to insert her spawn into reality?

-Wal
February 20, 2006 08:12AM

Asgardian/Wiccan?! ::!o That somewaht like Protestant/Catholic or Catholic/Muslim. SW must have warped reality for that one for sure!!
February 20, 2006 09:54AM
yeah i know it doesn't make sense but it does fit. the powers, the fact they are almost identical twins. it's to big of a coincidence not to have them related to her and her brother.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
February 20, 2006 10:03AM
Damn it all. I meant to type Young friggen avengers. I assume you were refering to me when you addressed it Bill. What can I say, I was tired.
February 20, 2006 01:08PM

Asgardian/Wiccan?! ::!o That somewaht like Protestant/Catholic or Catholic/Muslim. SW must have warped reality for that one for sure!!
Down, boy. I was referring to a character, originally named Asgardian, who later changed his name to Wiccan after he came out of the closet and didn't want all the obvious jokes ("@$$-guardian") made.

And anyway, it's quite possible to combine the two religious beliefs of Norse Gods and Wicca. They're nowhere near as antagonistic as Protestantism & Catholicism or Catholicism & Islam.
February 20, 2006 04:04PM
Dr Archeville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And anyway, it's quite possible to combine the two
> religious beliefs of Norse Gods and Wicca.
> They're nowhere near as antagonistic as
> Protestantism & Catholicism or Catholicism
> & Islam.

And that right there is the major point of contention Doc, between "traditional" Asatruar and practioners of "Norse-Wicca". Modern day Wiccans, as opposed to the PreChristian wicca (masculine) and wicce (feminine) of Anglo-Saxon culture, ie. Nordic culture, operates on a pseudo-Campbellian principle that all beliefs are more or less interchangeable and are merely different expressions of the same underlying mystery.

Of course, if you actually consult what Joseph Campbell said on the matter of eclecticism in the practice of spiritual beliefs, it really isn't that simple and comes across quite differently, ie. with alot of respect paid to culture, tradition, and the underlying integrity of differning components of belief.

In contrast, modern day Asatru has an ever strengthening cultural orientation, believing that elements of belief are best understood within the context of the culture of origin, and letting the essential mystery remain what it fundamentally is ... mysterious and unknowable within the temporal world.

At the very least, Catholicsm, Protestantism, and Islam all spring from the same, cut in stone religious book.

Not that I need anyone to tug on my choker over such matters though.

February 20, 2006 05:19PM
......... buh?

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.