The Power Cosmic

Posted by Denzil 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The Power Cosmic
February 04, 2006 08:47PM
I was reading the Silver Surfer's bio and wanted to know more about the power cosmic. Is it the same as cosmic energy that Eternals have? What other people can manipulate it strognly? What are it's limits? What are it's weaknesses? I read that Doom devised some kind of device that took away Surfer's access to the power?

And, can the Surfur create non-living(organic I guess) from nothing?

Thanks,
Denzil
Re: The Power Cosmic
February 04, 2006 09:38PM
Essentially.
The Eternals, Galactus, his other Heralds.
Whatever the Writers decide.
Ditto.
Yes, he did.
Probably.
February 04, 2006 09:51PM
Denzil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I was reading the Silver Surfer's bio and wanted
> to know more about the power cosmic. Is it the
> same as cosmic energy that Eternals have?
>

Well, the "power cosmic" has never really been defined. However, it seems to function in much the same way as the power of the Eternals. In the Fantastic Four Compendium a number of Galactus' heralds are described as being able to absorb, alternately, "cosmic radiation" or "cosmic energy", which they are able to convert to various ends. In the Surfer's case it was called "cosmic radiation". Various other beings are said to be able to draw on "cosmic energy" in that same source. It all seems pretty much the same, with "power cosmic", "cosmic radiation" and "cosmic energy" just being different ways to call the same thing.

> What
> other people can manipulate it strognly?
>

As strongly as the Surfer? Galactus. Other cosmic entities. Maybe some Eternals. There are a bunch who draw upon cosmic energy, but they are limited in its application, whereas the Surfer is like a wizard with the energy and able to shape to to a variety of ends ... on an enormous power-scale.

>
> What are
> it's limits? What are it's weaknesses?
>

A superior ability to manipulate the energy. The ability to sponge it up. But its application are potentially vast and it seems to be limited only by imgination and raw power level

>
> I read
> that Doom devised some kind of device that took
> away Surfer's access to the power?
>

Doom once made a gadget that enabled him to STEAL the power of the BEYONDER!! Prior to this he constructed a device that gave Terrax the Tamer a portion of his power cosmic back. So, if Doom hasn't constructed such a device, ain't nothing stopin him.

>
> And, can the Surfur create non-living(organic I
> guess) from nothing?
>

Nope. He needs some raw material to work with, and can rearrange it to his hearts content. He can only effect inorganic/nonliving matter, and can't effect organic/living matter. I'm not sure if the Eternals are so limited in their abilites.
February 04, 2006 10:01PM
Okay, thanks!
Generic Avatar
February 05, 2006 01:31PM
The Power Cosmic is essentially another term for Energy Control (i.e., all forms of energy). Beyond that, the actual usage beyond raw power blasts and raising/lowering energy power ranks is a function of power stunts developed.
February 06, 2006 07:35AM
>Nope. He needs some raw material to work with, and can rearrange it to his hearts content.
>He can only effect inorganic/nonliving matter, and can't effect organic/living matter.
>I'm not sure if the Eternals are so limited in their abilites.

If I remember right, Eternals have to 'level up' in order to use their powers better, and are ranked accordingly by levels, from 1 to 5, lowest to highest.

Sersi, formerly of the Avengers, for example, was able to change humans into pigs using her ability to manipulate the power cosmic. However, she was like a fifth level adept or something in this area of expertise, which is the highest level for a Eternal, I think.
February 06, 2006 09:34AM
I see the Power Cosmic not really as a power per se, but as a power source, same as "Magic" or "Mutancy."

"How does Cyclops shoot energy blasts out of his eyes? Mutancy."
"How does Dr. Strange fire off energy bolts? Magic."
"How does the Silver Surfer unleash phenomenally destructive blasts? The Power Cosmic."
February 08, 2006 07:41AM
I really hate "The Power Cosmic."

Other than that, i have no opinion.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.