Can anyone help me with this

Posted by Fan of your site 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Can anyone help me with this
October 19, 2005 11:23AM
Does anyone out there have this in a PDf, or just want to sell please let me know,
Marvel Super Heroes Basic Set, Revised (Boxed)
(6900)
What Im looking for is the revised edition released in 1991.
A complete set will include:
Rule Book
Campaign Book with over 80 heroes & villains.
Two full-color maps
55 character cards and stand-up playing pieces.

thanks.(I have tryed amazon, and ebay and so far no dice)
X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(
Re: Can anyone help me with this
October 19, 2005 07:41PM
sorry i can't help you, but if you do ever find a pdf of it (or get a copy and make a pdf of it), be sure to let us know here at Auntie P's...i'm sure at least a few folk here would be interested in it...i know i would
October 19, 2005 08:29PM
There is NO PDF of this yet. I just got teh boxed set off of eBay for $7.50 + S/H.
Keep looking! They do come up from time to time. :) I don't have a scanner as it
sits, but that's okay... I'm going to try to get one!

THen I'll see if I can scan the damned thing, and the X-forces boxset I have...

Niniri

October 20, 2005 09:58AM
Yes of course, just got a new scanner but sadly not the boxed set but I would be more than happy to share as soon as it turns up on amazon or ebay or any other way. (got some of my friends also keeping an eye out)
:D
October 20, 2005 04:48PM
Tell ya what--gimme that scanner <wicked grin> and I'll get busy :D

Ninri

October 21, 2005 10:48AM
If it was only that easy :D but as far as the search goes still no dice (or system) :( don't suppose that can offer a dollar amount to take it off of yer hands :D but reguardless I will eventually get it and when I do it will be turned into a PDF for all who would like a copy
X(X(X(X(X(X(
FNG
October 22, 2005 03:14AM
whats so good about this issue of the basic set over the one from the 80's? I have that as PDF

FNG
FOOM
Basic Set v. Advanced Set
October 22, 2005 09:55AM
I learned how to play the game using the Basic Set when it came out in 1991 and it wasn't until 1993 that I got my hands on a copy of the UPB. I never even laid my eyes on the Advanced Set until mid-1995. I did get Lands of Doom when it came out along with Webs and Avengers Archives.
The Advanced Set was not necessary for use with those boxed sets.

So, I went 4 years only knowing Basic and then two years of incorporating UPB. I ignored the non-standard rank numbers in the character generation system because all I had was the basic UT which only presents standard rank values.

When I finally got the Advanced Set I simply did not like it. I did not appreciate the rank number ranges ( example: Uneartlhy 88 to 125 ).
I felt that Grubb was trying to appease experience point lovers from the AD&D crowd or try to make the game fall in line with other superhero games like DCH or Champions.

Nor did I like the rule regarding multiple slugfest or shooting attacks with a Yellow or Red Fighting FEAT. My thoughts were "Holy crap! Thor can deliver up to THREE Shift-X (126 points each in Advanced; the full standard of 150 each in Basic) in a single round!! That is stupid. . . and what is this sudden connection between the Fighting rank and how many shots a hero can get off with his firearm or bow? Because Punisher has Amazing Fighting he has a yellow chance of getting off three Agility based attacks instead of one?"

Maybe my mind is closed, maybe I was just so happy with the game I had come to adore at that time for the past 4 plus years, whatever.

I think that when Grubb came out with Basic, he did a good thing by trimming a lot of fat from the Advanced Set's rules. He also made it so that the owner of the Basic Set could fill in any blanks that he believed needed to be taken care of.

FNG
Re: Basic Set v. Advanced Set
October 22, 2005 02:41PM
As I said, I have the original basic set.

We play a version which is a mixture and basic, advanced and UPB. We have fixed ranks like the basic set and actions is from the UPB. Fighting for slugest and you get up 5 per round dependant upon your rank. Agility for ranged, psyche for mental and intuition for illusions and mind control.

FNG
October 22, 2005 03:06PM
I always looked at it like this: Your rank in Fighting determines the number of attacks (or actions for some) one is capable of performing b/c a higher fighting rank signifies the amount of discipline and control one has when in combat. A RM rank means that you're not as quick a thinker (or in reaction time) as someone with AM rank. You still have to roll for those extra actions, so it didn't bother me much.

Skarlett da Multi-Ranked Spyder

________________________________________________________________________________
"All who wander are not lost." J.R.R. Tolkein

"History and experience have taught us that the oldest among our kind invariably prove the most formidable." Sage, X-Treme X-Men #43

"You leap like a hyena in heat!!" Conan to Wolverine, What If...? #16

"Useless, all useless...I was once a MAN!!" Cobra Commander, G.I. Joe the Movie
FOOM
October 22, 2005 11:27PM
By the time I had read that a combat round in Advanced was 6 seconds I had been running the game for four years where a round was considered a panel on a comic book page. Why? Because that is how the game's designer had described a round in Basic. Obviously if a character has supersonic speed or the mulitple attacks power then they could get off between two to four attacks off in a single panel.
In Basic there isn't a "whoops!" step were one can attempt to change their declared action with a Yellow Agility FEAT. Once more I believe that Grubb took a look at the Advanced Set and trimmed it down in Basic so that he could get back to his original intent of what he wanted all along: A fun and simple role-playing game that was not bogged down in arithmatic and uncaring of real-world comparison.

The bottom line is that the version of MSH that one prefers to run is like one's taste in ice cream; some folks love Rocky Road but don't like Neopolitan and visa-versa.
Basic is perfect for the foundation of what I need to run an interesting and fun game. The UPB opens up the possibilities regarding character and villian generation. One decides what works for them.
ok i'll volunteer
October 24, 2005 09:21AM
I happen to have the revised basic set, and am feeling particulary generous after a weekend at my sisters wedding.

while not wishing to give up one of my preciouses, i will be willing to make a pdf for you. just give me until the end of the week to get it done shouldn't be to hard a bunch of modules on Kythrie's site are mine as well. and i promise this one will be cropped correctly.
Re: ok i'll volunteer
October 25, 2005 10:59AM
Yer awesome, thank you sir
X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(
October 25, 2005 05:53PM
Sidious, your'e the bestest!

I really apprecaite this, too!

Niniri

October 27, 2005 10:27AM
the campaign book is done, i'm working on the rule book this weekend. should be done by saturday night.
October 27, 2005 06:04PM
Woo hoo! :D

Looking forward to it!

Niniri

October 27, 2005 07:24PM
also looking forward to it...:D:.D:D
FNG
October 28, 2005 07:04AM
Ok, I'll get my act togethor and scan New York New York

Anyone know any good free PDF makers?

FNG
October 28, 2005 02:22PM
Again Yer awesome sidious, I thank you sir. :D:D:D:D:D
December 08, 2005 02:42AM
Howdy folks!

I got an email from someone requesting this same bookset (the Revised Basic stuff).

Any word on it's completion? I'd love to put it up on the website.

Thanks!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.