Maximum Human Potential Table

Posted by Fan of your site 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Maximum Human Potential Table
September 22, 2005 09:47PM
thanks it just takes a little initaitive to find the answers to lifes most difficult questions
September 22, 2005 11:47PM

>
> now as for strength in real life the max human str
> should be ranked at Rm (12 June 1957 Paul anderson
> pressed a table weighing just over 3 tons)
>

It wasn't a press, but a back lift, which makes all the difference in the world.

Officially, the 350 lbs. Anderson could only press a little over 400 lbs, with a clean and jerk of 436 lbs. It is claimed, but not official, that he could squat 1,200 lbs.

That was back in 1955.

In 1989, all 275 lbs of Dave Pasanella squated 1,030 lbs, benched 573 lbs, and deadlifted 854 lbs.

In 2004 a 380 lbs. fella by the name of Gene Rychlak Jr. did a shirted bench of 965 lbs (uses a special, stiffened shirt that helps spring the weight back up), but the highest unshirted bench is 713 lbs. by Scot Mendelson.

September 23, 2005 11:18AM
Here is a revamp of my point-by-point Strength table to accomadate the weight spreads given in the Judges Book ...

Fe 1 = up to 25 lbs Fe 2 = 50 lbs
Pr 3 = 75 lbs Pr 4 = 100 lbs
Ty 5 = 133 lbs Ty 6 = 166 lbs
Ty 7 = 200 lbs Gd 8 = 225 lbs
Gd 9 = 250 lbs Gd 10 = 275 lbs
Gd 11 = 300 lbs Gd 12 = 325 lbs
Gd 13 = 350 lbs Gd 14 = 375 lbs
Gd 15 = 400 lbs Ex 16 = 436 lbs
Ex 17 = 472 lbs Ex 18 = 508 lbs
Ex 19 = 544 lbs Ex 20 = 580 lbs
Ex 21 = 616 lbs Ex 22 = 652 lbs
Ex 23 = 688 lbs Ex 23 = 724 lbs
Ex 24 = 760 lbs Ex 25 = 800 lbs
Rm 26 = 920 lbs Rm 27 = 1,040 lbs
Rm 28 = 1,160 lbs Rm 29 = 1,280 lbs
Rm 30 = 1,400 lbs Rm 31 = 1,520 lbs
Rm 32 = 1,640 lbs Rm 33 = 1,760 lbs
Rm 34 = 1,880 lbs Rm 35 = 2,000 lbs

In 1955 Paul Andersen Clean and Jerked, 436 lbs or Excellent (16). His press was just over 400 lbs or Excellent (16) and his rumoured squat was 1,200 lbs or Rm (29). Captain America's lift/press is consistently said to be 800 lbs or Excellent (25), which beats Paul Anderson's press by several hundred pounds, and the unshirted bench press record of 713 lbs or a Ex (23) weight by 87 lbs. Presumably, Cap's bench press would be higher than his military press and his squate would probably be fairly impressive as well ... approaching a ton in my casual estimation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2005 11:28AM by Powersurge.
September 23, 2005 11:20AM
Powersurge
I need the definition you are using for "press"

for general strength wouldnt you want to be considering a total body lift instead of a bench or milatary press
September 23, 2005 12:57PM
Probably more like Rm 27 = 1,040 lbs. Great job.X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(
September 23, 2005 01:07PM
once again i am going to state that i am sorry apparently i was wrong strength is just a measure of arm strength and the rest of your body doesn't matter thanks to all for clarifing this for me
September 23, 2005 02:09PM
Paul Anderson (1932-1994)
Height: 5'9''
Weight: 330-360 pounds
Accomplishments: Paul Anderson broke and re-broke every strength record of his time. His strength is unmatched, even today. He was an Olympic gold medalist, strongman, and philanthropist. While most of records are unofficial, many good sources report of his incredible feats of strength.
He was born on October 17, 1932, in Toccoa, Georgia. He began lifting weights in high school in his backyard. He started out with only two dumbbells and some Strength and Health. He was immediately hooked. He looked through junkyards to find heavier and heavier weights to lift. By the time he went to college at Furman University for a year, his lifts were close to the American records of the time. It was at college the idea of becoming a "strongman" occurred to Paul. He left college after a year and went to live with his parents. He met Bob Peeples, a great lifter of the time, and was trained in the squat and Olympic lifts(clean and jerk). From there his career took off. His best lifts of his career include an amazing 1206 pound squat(still unmatched), a 627 pound bench press, a 380 pound one arm press, a 600 pound push press(pressing the weight overhead),and an incredible 575 pound jerk press(pulling the weight up and pressing it out). He made the Guinness Book of World Records for lifting 6,270 pounds in the backlift. This weight is listed as the most weight ever lifted by a human being. He won the gold medal at the 1957 Melbourne Olympics. In all, he broke 18 American records, 8 world records, and retired unbeaten and unchallenged.

Ok this is what I have on Mr. Anderson (not neo just kidding) according to this example he benched 627 and a 600-pound military press (pressing the weight overhead). That's a 27 pound difference so here's some examples for the comics world Cap states " I have the strength and agility of half a platoon of fighting men" Which could be anywhere from 12.5 to 25 men, give or take in either direction Issue Invaders #5 1976. Another example Cap curls, in repetion 500lbs. After a prior work out in the gym Avengers #170 1978. Another example the Gray Gargoyle turns his victims into stone with one touch. He did this to Sharon Carter (at 5'11") and Nick Fury (at least 6'). Cap scooped them one under each arm and started running with them effortlessly!!!!! Now that's two indivules at around 6' PURE STONE then throws them to safety. Captain America #141 1971. Another example Cap is able to brace himself and not only catch but throw the massive (at least 750lbs. Big Bertha) Avengers West Coast #64 1990. Another example THE BENCH PRESS !!!!!!!!!!! Captain America # 402 Cap bench presses IN A NON MAX !!!! While having a conversation with D-Man asking him if he wanted him (CAP) to add more weight while Benching 1100lbs and D-Man was pressing 8900lbs. here's another point in later issues when Titana and Mr. Hyde broke out of confinement when Cap had the black uniform on, D-Man didn't know who Titana was without her uniform on and he grabbed her and said careful lady the last time I was tested I pressed 15 tons then she said the last I was tested I pressed 85 then she threw him off the side of the mountain (poor D-Man). But my point if D-Man was benching 8900 and last tested at 15 tons, Cap was benching 1100 in a non max, which I believe he can probably Bench in a max of at least 2500 to maybe 3000 lbs. Another example Cap throws the well over 1000 lb. Hulk several feet out of Rick's house (Door way to be exact) IM sure that Martial Arts disaplens and momentum plays a part but Cap threw him on his A$$ none the less. Incredible Hulk # 406 1993. Ps again proven Cap has 30 intensity strength. Thank you all again and god bless.
X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(
September 23, 2005 02:54PM
No sir (Boats) that's not what I meant and I apologize if you were offended in any way. I feel that the whole body is used the Cap examples was meant more so for Powersurge. Technically I feel if the whole body is structurally sound enough to support the weight that should determine overall strength purposes. Poweresurge was using the MHS 86 rules example for a military press but as you will probably find out he has great ideas but you might fall short in trying to prove anything to him. So again If anyone was offended I apologize and like always Thank you and God bless.
X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(
September 23, 2005 03:12PM

Its comicbooks Fan. Trying to prove fine points is an effort in futility, though you clearly believe its all objectively verifiable ... which once again is fine, sport. Its all good.
September 23, 2005 08:41PM
Boats, even in your first example, i would say it would be more of a result of a Red feat than just normal strength. Prolly if put in game terms, woulda been with the use of Karma
September 23, 2005 09:24PM
im not saying that it is not a red feat i am just trying to state that i think that it is very limited and have always thought a max human could have Rm strength i am not in an arguement about Cap for one dont know enough about him to argue
September 24, 2005 11:46AM
Hey my friend in my opinion your right and here's some proof for the sake of debate I have a copy of The Gamers Handbook of the Marvel Universe volume # 5 page 27 A man named Bullet. He has worked for the Kingpin and fought with Dare Devil and has 30 strength but listed as having no superhuman powers, another example The Gamers Handbook of the Marvel Universe volume # 2 page 13, Ox of the Enforcers it has him listed as having no known powers but yet he's listed at 30 strength. So with that there are cases for a debate but overall I agree in certain cases max human can be 30.
X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(X(
September 26, 2005 02:47AM
September 27, 2005 12:42AM
Um, there are plenty of heroes who have elevated stats yet are listed as not having any superhuman powers. Since your so fond of Cap he's the perfect example. In no writeup I've seen has he been listed as having enahnced abilities, but everyone knows that his physical stats come from his having ingested the Super Soldier Serum. What I'm saying is that even though it may not state it in black and white, doesn't mean that those abilities weren't recieved from something other than normal "human potential."

The Bullet if I remember correct was surgically altered to give him his physical abilities, just as Cap was in a fashion. So just because Bullet has no listed super powers doesn't mean that he hasn't been enhanced in some way.

The vast majority of the stats were written before the UPB was published, before we had powers like Hyper Strength to give us a guideline as to how we can represent in-game the gains one gets to their normal stats by outside means. So if you want to be that technical about it then Cap (as well as many other characters) should have the abilities Hyper Strength, Hyper Endurance and Hyper Agility listed as powers, since it was an outside stimulus (the Super Soldier Serum), and not normal physical means that gave him these abilities.

The point I'm attempting to make is that one shouldn't take these things at face value, or believe what it is you read to be the Gospel according to the MU rules set. As far as I've seen, Cap has exhibited nothing that would warrant a RM rank strength right off the bat. There have been plenty of red FEATs along the way (if anyone has the karma to spare, Cap does) as well as the rare comic story that has Cap depicted as pulling of super human feats of strength, but for the most part Cap has exhibited perhaps the upper limits of EX strength, but still EX strength nonetheless.

Skarlett da Upper Limited Spyder

________________________________________________________________________________
"All who wander are not lost." J.R.R. Tolkein

"History and experience have taught us that the oldest among our kind invariably prove the most formidable." Sage, X-Treme X-Men #43

"You leap like a hyena in heat!!" Conan to Wolverine, What If...? #16

"Useless, all useless...I was once a MAN!!" Cobra Commander, G.I. Joe the Movie
September 28, 2005 04:20PM
Seeing as the rules and such were based somewhat on the official handbook to the marvel universe for reference material, the handbook defines (well, in the back of the book, the author defines it) lift/press as "picking a weight off the ground, and lifting it above your head with arms and legs straight for at least one second". It's not very technicial, but at least it's descriptive. :)

Captain America is described as being able to lift/press 800lb with supreme effort. Having Cap at Excellent Strength is fine enough. :D

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.