House of M

Posted by Dr Archeville 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: House of M
December 08, 2005 04:19PM
Dr Archeville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Um... not really the same thing.

Indeed.

Skarlett da Agreeable Spyder

________________________________________________________________________________
"All who wander are not lost." J.R.R. Tolkein

"History and experience have taught us that the oldest among our kind invariably prove the most formidable." Sage, X-Treme X-Men #43

"You leap like a hyena in heat!!" Conan to Wolverine, What If...? #16

"Useless, all useless...I was once a MAN!!" Cobra Commander, G.I. Joe the Movie
December 08, 2005 06:39PM
Well Iceman never really lost his powers to begin with if we read this month's x-books. And as far as 'takebacks' From what i understand, there being around 200 or so mutants is going to be the way of things for the forseeable future, except for a few things that were in the pipe pre House of M.

You can review this in many threads on www.newsarama.com, check out Joe Quesada's column, a few months ago, we get some House of M insights.
December 09, 2005 09:55AM
It's another reality warp some how and an apparent change from it gets switched back. The point I was making was a drastic change of some kind and now Iceman apparently didn't lose his powers. It's just as lame as people supposedly dying, yet they come back.

'See, I didn't die. I opened the sewer cover just in the nick of time, so I didn't get fried crispy.'

Along with the 'I didn't really lose my powers, it's a psychological handicap from my childhood that was never ever triggered until this completely 100% unrelated event happened'.

I hate to see the explanation for Bobby. Marvel has done so many 'hiding the real cause of changes amongst other things' so much, it's pathetic.
December 09, 2005 10:07AM
Well, it's not the same b/c the changes in AoA were never supposed to last long -- the only things that stuck were Nate Grey/X-Man, Dark Best, SugarMan, Holocaust, and Dark Beast when they all hopped over to the 616 MU. Plus, AoA was an alternate universe, whereas HoM was a change to the 616 Universe itself.
Generic Avatar
December 09, 2005 03:41PM
Are you sure HoM didn't create "617"? All changes in existing history are supposed to spawn new alternate, divergent realities, last I saw in the rules. Which would be the case given that the events of HoM were "retroactive" in effect from what was posted on this board.
December 09, 2005 05:16PM
Joe Quesada and Brian Michael Bendis have been very forthright that this is all taking place in mainstream or the goofy Alan Davis Label of the 616 Universe.
December 10, 2005 08:28AM
Yup, they've been telling us, over and over, the HoM Reality was not a divergent one, it's an alteration made to the 616 Universe. This was most prominently seen in Exiles, when they went to return Beak to his native 616 reality, and found it all changed.

One theory: Since Wanda was altering/restructuring reality, she was truly able to alter what was there without making a new reality.
Another theory: Wana's powers weren't so much her changing reality as it was her generating Universe-spanning illusions and mind control, making everyone simply think things were changed.
December 10, 2005 11:31AM
Dr Archeville Wrote:
> Well, it's not the same b/c the changes in AoA
> were never supposed to last long -- the only
> things that stuck were Nate Grey/X-Man, Dark Best,
> SugarMan, Holocaust, and Dark Beast when they all
> hopped over to the 616 MU. Plus, AoA was an
> alternate universe, whereas HoM was a change to
> the 616 Universe itself.

I'm not talking about the difference between changing past events and changing the current nature of people. I'm talking of a huge event that affects a large number of people and then, without letting the new situtaion sink in with readers for a while, let them get used to it, they're already reversing "changes" by saying, 'oh, there was this totally unrelated event that just happened to occur at the exact same time for this one guy here', like they've often done. That is what's bugging me. It's the latest cop out to get certain characters out of the situtaions they put them in. It's a style issue they keep beating to death. If they are only barely gonna be without their powers, there's no reason to have them loose them in the first place. It makes stupid plot points.
Generic Avatar
December 10, 2005 12:17PM
My head is starting to hurt just trying to follow the HoM contortions.
December 12, 2005 12:53AM
Lord_Sidious Wrote:
> I'm in denial that most marvel since the end of
> Fatal Attractions in X-men ever happened.

Fatal Attractions? Like, the X-Men 25/Wolverine 75 stuff, the hologram-cards-on-the-cover issues?

What do you mean it never happened?!
December 12, 2005 02:56PM
Kythri Wrote:
> Lord_Sidious Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm in denial that most marvel since the end
> of
> > Fatal Attractions in X-men ever happened.
>
>
> Fatal Attractions? Like, the X-Men 25/Wolverine
> 75 stuff, the hologram-cards-on-the-cover issues?
>
> What do you mean it never happened?!

I think he said EVER happened.

Skarlett da Clarifyin' Spyder

________________________________________________________________________________
"All who wander are not lost." J.R.R. Tolkein

"History and experience have taught us that the oldest among our kind invariably prove the most formidable." Sage, X-Treme X-Men #43

"You leap like a hyena in heat!!" Conan to Wolverine, What If...? #16

"Useless, all useless...I was once a MAN!!" Cobra Commander, G.I. Joe the Movie
December 12, 2005 03:53PM
it's gone does not exist in my reality. i deny it's very existance. i refuse to acquiess {sp} to it's demand for recignition.

sorry but i can draw a difinitive line to when the marvel world went to crap and it runs right through there.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.