Is it Omnium or Osmium?

Posted by Powersurge 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is it Omnium or Osmium?
August 31, 2005 11:16AM

I recall reading in the Official Handbook of the MU way back when that there was a material called Omnium that was stronger than titanium, but weaker than adamantium, but I have come across at least one other source, the Marvel RPGs Players Book, that lists no material called Omnium, only one called Osmium.

Was this a typo? Are there two different materials with similar names? And on the off chance that they are different, does anyone have any idea on what the material strength of Omnium is?

:S
Re: Is it Omnium or Osmium?
August 31, 2005 11:26AM
As far as I know its Osmium.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
August 31, 2005 01:01PM
Osmium.
August 31, 2005 02:37PM
I use AM material strength for Osmium. Honestly though, you could probably justify it being at MN. In real life it is quite a bit stronger than titanium.

Titanium:
Density: 4.54 g/cc
Rigidity/GPa: 44
Hardness: 6 Mohs, 716 Brinell's
Melting Point: 3034 deg F

Osmium:
Density: 22.6 g/cc
Rigidity/GPa: 222
Hardness: 7 Mohs, 3920 Brinell's
Melting Point: 5491 deg F.

I think there was a reason I left it at AM for my material's chart, but I don't remember what it was. Maybe I'll bump it up to MN now. Hrm.
September 03, 2005 12:44PM
I vaguely recall an article saying that osmium is the most pressure resistant substance in the world, even more so than diamond, and may well lead to new super hard alloys.
September 04, 2005 10:58PM
so is this a real metal or just in the comic books?
September 05, 2005 07:21AM
Osmium is a real metal. Here's some info on it: [en.wikipedia.org]

Omnium is not. However, Omnium steel is mentioned in The Algernon Files, a campaign/setting/NPC book for M&M. There, Omnium steel is unbelievably strong & practically indestructible, possessing (in MSH terms) a material strength of ShZ/750 (halfway between ShZ/500 and C1000), and C5000 Resistance to Fire/Heat and Radiation.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.