ClassicMarvel.com Presents...

Posted by Paragon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
ClassicMarvel.com Presents...
July 26, 2005 10:44AM
At the suggestion of Jugger_Nut, I've decided to start a monthly (or bi-monthly... we'll see) e-zine for MSH. Anyone who would like to contribute to the e-zine is more than welcome. We'll cover everything from adventures to character stats to articles on roleplaying or judging.

Here is a cover mockup...
Re: ClassicMarvel.com Presents...
July 26, 2005 11:29AM
That's awesome! I want it!
If you could provide up to date pics of various heroes that'd be wonderful.
July 26, 2005 11:47AM
Paragon,

How would one subscribe?
July 26, 2005 12:16PM
No subscription necessary. Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. :D

I'm just planning on putting it together and offering it where I can. Maybe our gracious hosts at classicmarvel.com would like to host the files when they come out? ;)

Here's a few details. The e-zine will be offered in PDF format and I'm planning on each issue being somewhere between 24 and 32 pages long, depending on what people would like to contribute.

As far as contributing to the e-zine, here's what I'm looking for:
ADVENTURES: This is pretty obvious. It should be a complete adventure with all applicable character stats and the like.
HOOKS: Please do not just offer a list of random adventure hooks. Try to have all of your hooks revolve around a specific theme. For example, come up with some hooks on how to get Hydra involved in an established campaign or hooks involving cosmic entities.
CHARACTER STATS: Again, please do not contribute "random" stats. Try offering a set of stats with a common theme, like all of the different Iron Man armors or stats for a team like the New Avengers.
ARTICLES: This includes background information (the Updated History of S.H.I.E.L.D.), house rules (new powers), articles on "Judging" (How to Deal with Over-Powered Characters), and anything else that seems interesting.

If you've got an idea for any of these, drop me a Private Message with your idea and I'll provide you with details on how to send it to me.
July 26, 2005 01:08PM
Beautiful cover!

Paragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HOOKS: Please do not just offer a list of random
> adventure hooks. Try to have all of your hooks
> revolve around a specific theme. For example, come
> up with some hooks on how to get Hydra involved in
> an established campaign or hooks involving cosmic
> entities.

I vote for leaving out "hooks" altogether. Hooks are a dime a dozen. Anyone can come up with an idea. It's only when its written into an adventure is it immediately useable.

July 26, 2005 01:22PM
michael Wrote:
> I vote for leaving out "hooks" altogether. Hooks
> are a dime a dozen. Anyone can come up with an
> idea. It's only when its written into an adventure
> is it immediately useable.

I think you are right to an extent. Hooks can also be used along with background information. For example, if I were to do an article on the Spider-man Clones (yuck!:(), I'd like to see some hooks on how to include them in adventures (or how to completely disavow all knowledge of the incident. :D)
Epyon
July 26, 2005 03:48PM
Paragon, I've been meaning to compile a pretty comprehensive list of all significant Iron Man armors from the late 1970s through the Mike Grell era of a few years ago (I am not going to bother with the armors he has used after that, because it seems his armor changes every three to five issues, and I no longer read Iron Man). It would be a pretty long list:

Iron Man Mark V (his classic red and gold unit)
Iron Man Mark VI (his silver and red unit)
Iron Man Mark VII (his neo-classic post "armor wars" unit)
Iron Man Mark VIII (his "modular" unit)
Iron Man Mark IX (his proto classic "heroes return" unit)
Iron Man Mark X (his SKIN unit--the most powerful, non-magical unit to date)
Iron Man Mark XI (his "Mike Grell" unit--which is several steps back in technology)

Iron Man Stealth Armor Mark I
Iron Man Stealth Armor Mark II
Iron Man Stealth Armor Mark III

Iron Man Space Armor Mark I
Iron Man Space Armor Mark II
Iron Man Space Armor Mark III

Iron Man Deep Sea Armor

Iron Man Hyper-Gravity Armor

Iron Man War Machine Armor Mark I (the original model)
Iron Man War Machine Armor Mark II (the custom model used by James Rhodes)

Iron Man Telepresence Unit (the old shell game--an empty suit of armor, remote controlled)
Iron Man Hulkbuster Armor (enabled Shell Head to lift 175 tons--more twice as much as the Thing!)
Iron Man Thorbuster Armor (powered by an Asgardian power gem, this armor allowed Shell Head to go toe to toe with an Odin-powered Thor...!)

I refuse to come up with stats for the armor used by the "evil Iron Man" and "teen Iron Man", as I found those story-lines abhorrent.

No idea when I'll actually finish this project. I only have stats for a little over half of the armors listed.

This compilation would only be for die-hards...

If you're interested, let me know and I'll try to crank out the stats and send them to you.
July 26, 2005 04:22PM
definately happy to host it. hope it goes well. really great idea.

'Fer the love of my sweet Aunt Petunia' - Ben Grimm
July 26, 2005 05:52PM
only one thing,
we have to be careful of copyright. Using the image of serveral major marvel characters could cause difficulties.
The pic is great. Is it fan art or poached ?

If it is Fan Art then you should be fine. If it is poached then be careful.
July 27, 2005 07:47AM
As someone who deals with copyright material on a (almost) daily basis, I can tell you that certain aspects of using said material is covered under "Fair Use" laws.

1. If I use images from Marvel (yes, the cover is a Bryan Hitch (of Ultimates) illustration), the image cannot be altered in any way with the exception of adding text or scaling.
2. The e-zine cannot be sold under any circumstances.
3. Somewhere on the cover or first 5 pages, I have to include the following text:
All characters, their likenesses, and/or any identifying attributes are copyright
of Marvel Enterprises, Inc. 2005. Use of Marvel Enterprises, Inc material is not
meant to imply any copyright infringement. This E-Zine is for fan use only and cannot
be sold, in part or whole. Marvel Enterprises, Inc. is not affiliated with
classicmarvel.com or this E-Zine in any official capacity.
G.AW.
July 27, 2005 12:35PM
Would this project include articles and essay's on comic book topics or only that which pertains to the RPG game?
July 27, 2005 01:34PM
G.AW. Wrote:
> Would this project include articles and essay's on
> comic book topics or only that which pertains to
> the RPG game?

Please make it only pertaining the RPG!

There are plenty of other outlets for "comic book topics" and they would be of very little use to the reader if they haven't read the pertinent topics!

Maybe some articles comparing the way things work in the comic compared to the way they work in the game would be interesting, but I'd prefer it be narrowing focused.

July 27, 2005 02:19PM
G.AW. Wrote:
> Would this project include articles and essay's on
> comic book topics or only that which pertains to
> the RPG game?

Marvel Super Heroes Adventures is dedicated to the Marvel Super Heroes Roleplaying Game. As such, all articles should, at least in part, have some use in the game. We won't be doing any reviews of comics or editorials on why the Vulture sucks so much. The aim of this E-Zine is to offer things that are useful in MSH.

Now, I understand that some ideas fall into a grey area. For instance, stats for non-Marvel characters. That could be useful. Heck, it would be pretty cool but things like this need to be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Basically, just ask yourself: "Would this be useful to MSH players?"
G.A.W.
July 27, 2005 09:59PM
Sounds good.

I hope there is also some complete adventures to be included instead of the usual plot outlines one normally gets.
July 28, 2005 08:05AM
I've just received the first article and it is great! I've started the basic layout of PDF file and it's shaping up to be a pretty polished piece (that's a lot of "P's"). Again, if you've got a great idea for rules, stats, or just about anything else for MSH, send me a private message. I haven't set up a deadline yet so don't worry about having to get something to me by tomorrow.
July 29, 2005 01:30AM
Well I have an adventure and a 3 part adventure in the back of my head, but with work and such I am not sure I will get it done before the first ish.
July 29, 2005 07:22AM
Again, just send it when you can. There's no rush right now.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.