Can Wolverine's Adamantium Claws Cut Mr. Fantastic's Body?

Posted by Epyon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Epyon
Can Wolverine's Adamantium Claws Cut Mr. Fantastic's Body?
July 07, 2005 03:17PM
I would vote No, they cannot--Wolverine faced Dr. Volkh (a Russian version of Mr. Fantastic) in the pages of the West Coast Avengers and was unable to cut him with his adamantium claws. Anyone know if the two have ever tangled?
Re: Can Wolverine's Adamantium Claws Cut Mr. Fantastic's Body?
July 07, 2005 04:46PM
I don't think they have. I'd have to say it depends on who's writing the book.;)
July 07, 2005 09:09PM
Well, Wolvie'd have to reach him first -- I believe Red & Wolvie recently fouht Logan was mind-controlled at the time), and Reed basically formed himself into a giant sphere around the berserker, and just kept pulling and retracting his body out of the path of Wolvie's claws.
July 08, 2005 04:05AM
If he could somehow grab hold of Reed and slash at him, I think he could do it. Think of Reed as a Hefty Garbage Bag. He can stretch and twist and contort like nobody's business, but if you can get a firm grip of anything, you can drag the cutting edge of the blades across whatever you grabbed. It won't be Wolvie's usual power-slash style, but it should work. All the stretchiness in the world won't help if Wolvie's claws are sharp enough. Think surgical scalpel sharp. Just lightly drawing them across a surface should be sufficient to lightly score it. Another possibility would be for Wolvie to hold off popping the claws and punch Reed. Yes, punch him. But don't settle for simple punching, follow through and keep punching and advancing until Reed is at the limit of his stretching ability. Wolvie would know this when his punches started to encounter significant resistance. At that point, on the next punch, Wolvie should pop his claws just as he makes contact so Reed can't shift any further away. Wolvie isn't stupid. He should not be played as being stupid. He's a very experienced and creative fighter with an instinctive gift for hand-to-hand mayhem. If there is a way to hurt Reed with the claws, and I believe I just showed that there is, Wolverine will find it.
July 08, 2005 07:48AM
Wolvie isn't stupid

Actually, Wolverine is consistently shown to be stupid, and an exceptionally poor fighter given the claim he is "the best there is". Somehow every Marvel character out there is intelligent enough to regularly avoid life threatening injury -except Wolverine. Even given regeneration jumping directly onto someone's weapon is not the best tactic for every situation. "Embrace the Blade" is not meant to be a daily tactic.

As far as cutting Reed, yes, it is possible, but it wouldn't be by the normal slashing he usually does unless Reed had already been strecthed extremely far. Rather he would probably have to hold a section down and saw which isn't really going to be very helpful in combat.
Epyon
July 08, 2005 09:55AM
I don't think Wolverine could cut Reed's body unless Reed was taken completely by surprise (and therefore didn't have the opportunity to "plasticize" his body). Reed's body is so pliant he can basically turn himself into a viscous fluid. He once "flowed" out of a containment tube which had only the tiniest holes in the bottom (to circulate air into the tube) by totally relaxing the molecular cohesion of his body. Cutting Reed's body is like trying cut silly putty with a knife. The putty would simply reform around the blade. In fact, it seems to me that it would be extremely difficult for any physical attack to seriously injure Reed. Even a blow from the Hulk would just harmlessly stretch his body. Of course, energy attacks are a different matter entirely. Also, I imagine sustained physical attacks that stretched his body beyond its limits could cause Reed injury; Dr. Doom once stunned Reed using a spinning grappler device which caused Reed's body to stretch too far, too fast. In the same way, I suspect a powerful concussion blaster which fires a sustained beam of force could stretch Reed past his tolerances, causing him to pass out. But a simple punch, no matter how powerful, would probably cause Reed minimal discomfort.
July 08, 2005 02:19PM

I would say that it depends. If a katana can cut a silk scarf that is left to float and flutter down across the blade than Wolvie's claws, which can shred with CL1000 ability, has a good chance to cut Reed regardless of his plasticity, IMO.

Judging strictly by the MSHRPG stats, Wolvie would have to be able to generate over and above Remarkable (30) damage to be able to harm Reed with his claws. He could do this with a charge, or with fastball special if he has a strong person to throw him.

July 08, 2005 02:49PM
If a katana can cut a silk scarf that is left to float and flutter down across the blade than Wolvie's claws, which can shred with CL1000 ability, has a good chance to cut Reed regardless of his plasticity, IMO.

A silk scarf still has rigidity... Reed doesn't unless he chooses to. That is the difference.
July 08, 2005 03:19PM
Mr. Fantastic has control of his body's solid structure down to the molecular level. He can literally pour himself through small pourous surfaces like a fluid. He requires a specially-designed laser scalpel to cut into his skin, and even then, only when he relaxed. Reed has taken missiles to the gut, enveloped them and rode out the explosion to mitigate damage to those around him.

I love Wolverine as much as the next fanboy, but there's no way he's able to carve Reed Richards up. Sure, his claws are indestructible, but that doesn't factor into whether or not he can hurt someone with a near-liquid body and astonishing malleability.
July 08, 2005 03:41PM
So imagine if Reed ever hits a real mean streak. He could Kill Wolverine any time he wanted to. What's to stop him from just flowing into someone's nostrils grabbing his lungs and ripping them out? Other than he's a really nice man, I mean.
Epyon
July 08, 2005 03:57PM
Well, funny that you mention that. That's exactly what Hydro Man did when Immortus temporarily gave him Dr. Doom type intellect. He flowed his liquid body into Wonder Man's nostrils and then exerted pressure from inside Wondy's body, knocking him out cold in about 2 seconds.

Reed is one of the seriously underrated characters in the MU (in terms of his power, not his intellect--everyone knows he's the smartest man in the MU).
July 08, 2005 04:00PM
Not exactly the smartest. Doom is just as intelligent and doesnt get it from a mutation brought on by cosmic rays. So when Doom says he was smarter then Reed in college, he is telling the truthe. It wasnt that Reed was smarter, Dooms ego allowed him to miss something that someone of inferior intellect caught.
Epyon
July 08, 2005 04:11PM
I didn't know Reed's intellect was increased by the cosmic rays... is that a recent retcon?

In any event, at this point, most folks (with the notable exception of Doom) believe Reed is slightly smarter...
July 08, 2005 04:18PM
Epyon,

Actually no. At the time of the FF Compendium and the OHMU it stated that his intellect had been increased 1cs
due to the mutation that gave him his powers and that if they were removed he would go back down 1cs. It is even
listed at this very site.

Your Humble Servant,
Gene
July 09, 2005 07:45AM
They're both mental midgets next to the High Evolutionary.
FOOM
July 09, 2005 09:05AM
Yes. Mr. F's body gives him Remarkable protection v. edged attacks. Logan's claws cut through up to Monstrous material.
July 09, 2005 10:32AM
Water is Feeble material strength, but I'd like to see Wolverine cut it.
July 09, 2005 11:54AM
Cutting water is easy. Boats do it all the time by the simple act of passing through it. The thing is, water is a liquid, not a solid. Mr. Fantastic, for all his stretchiness, is a solid being, NOT a liquid being. And like all solids, he has a finite limit to his elasticity. At the limits of that elasticity, a point is reached at which the raw material strength of Mr. Fantastic's body comes into play and can be cut by something capable of piercing that level of material strength. In Mr. Fantastic's case, that material strength is Remarkable, and Wolverine can cut through Remarkable materials. This isn't a matter of me being a fanboy, I think Wolvie is severely overrated, this is simply a matter of game rules and simple physics.
July 09, 2005 01:53PM
Boats don't cut water. They displace the water that's there.

Reed has been seen about eleventy bajillion times taking all sorts of impact from sharp spiky objects and simply contorting around them harmlessly. I would posit there's no way Logan could pierce his skin, because Reed's body would simply wrap around the blade and disperse the energy of the attack.

Sure, Wolverine's blades could theoretically cut into Mr. Fantastic's skin, if he was stretched to his max and incapable of moving. But I hardly think Reed would be dumb enough to get himself in that position, and I can't think that Wolverine would be clever enough to try it in the first place.

And I actually like Wolverine.
July 18, 2005 02:37PM
Not just to play the devil's advocate here but we are speaking of very special cases (look out, I'm getting all fanboy as heck).
Sure Mr. Fantastic can ooze through pores in limestone or moleculare sized holes in a holding cell, but these actions require amazing amounts of concentration (ie: power FEATS to achieve) so getting out of a trap, sure, using the same method in a split second reflex fight, no way.
Ofcourse he can scoot under doors and through the mesh of a screen door without checking a FEAT, but becoming fluid takes all his will power for a moment.

Sharp things do not cut his plastic and flexible body....true enough. Regular machine sharpened steel blades would have no effect, like trying to cut through stretchy bread dough with a round plastic spoon handle, the dough just keeps stretching. And bullets of course have zero effect becuase the force is absorbed.

But Wolverine's claws are the hardest metal created by man and they are sharp as a razor.

In gaming terms you would roll Mr. F's power rank as defense vs wolverine's attempt to cut and if W makes the FEAT he succeeds, but his damage is reduced appropriately (to just a couple of points, scratches instead of gashes). On a different note, if Wolverine some how became really strong (look out, it's the WolverJuggerHulk!) he would cut him to pieces. W's lack of superhuman strength is what holds him back, you would never see Richards surviving multiple sword blows from an Asgardian wielding a Class 1000 Uru blade, like Baldar the Brave.

In the FF/Xmen cross over Wolverine doesn't cut Mr.F but actually bruises him by kicking him in the face so quickly Richards doesn't have time to go all gooey.

I mention this because when your fighting the Super Skrull (which is much more likely than Mr. Fantastic) it makes sense to direct physical attacks at the parts of him that are not orange and rocky, since you might actually do some damage.

So my answer would be: Claws hurt? Maybe a little, might even stun.
I'd bet on Mr. F to win the fight though, he'd just coil all around Wolverine in the second round and squeeze him out cold.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.