Building Weapons

Posted by michael 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
michael
Building Weapons
June 27, 2005 11:43AM
I'd like to build some high tech weapons for my High-Tech hero.

How would I figure the cost to add Scatter, Burst, and Armor Piercing capabilities to my weapons?

Re: Building Weapons
June 28, 2005 12:13AM
Each one of those would be treated as Powers, and depending on their "Rank" would either add a +1CS or +0CS to the invention's "Tech Rank" (phraseology from Machines of Doom) or Applicable Rank. Bear in mind also that there's a Cost/ Tech Cap of Monstrous at the beginning (before modifying things) for anything that could be realisitically produced using modern (real life) technology. The example they use is that of a Fighter Jet which can fly Shift X speeds only having a Monstrous applicable rank.

Armor Piercing is usually a question of the ammo, not the gun itself; Let's see... what kind of applicable Cost rank would AP shot have? That takes a bit of conversion, easily done. Handgun & Rifle AP shot is 5x more expensive than regular shot. That gives you something to work with. Figure out the firepower of the weapon in question, and use that as it's rank; multiply that by 5 for the "power" which the AP shot has, and you have the applicable cost rank of the AP shot.

Example: A standard Handgun does Ty(6) damage. 50 rounds of normal shot has a Fe(2) cost; 10 rounds of AP shot has the same cost. To develop AP rounds at home, you's take the damage times the multiplier, (6x5=30), so you'd have an applicable rank of Remarkable to set up things to make your very own AP rounds. It's actually cheaper and easier just to buy the rounds off the shelf.

Scatter Shot affects everyone within the same area. The only examples I see off-hand for something capable of this sort of devastation are Flamethrowers, grenades, missiles, and Heavy Artillery. The lowest applicable rank I see amongst these is RM (30). That's a good place to start.

Bursts can affect multiple adjacent targets with one shot, kind of the toned-down version of Scatter. Comparing the Assault Rifle to the Automatic Rifle, I see that there's a difference of 5 for the burst-version of the weapon- and that's the lowest. going from 10 to 15 technically falls into the same category, but it's enough of a difference to warrant a +1CS in any case. But looking at the Handgun & the Machine Pistol, which also uses Bursts, the difference is more striking; Ty(6) bumped up to Ex(20). That's a +2CS which is probably more accurate in the long run.

Hope that helps somewhat...

June 30, 2005 05:51PM
Check out the Revamp Forum,
there are some house rules which have also been developed.
They are also worth a look see.
michael
July 06, 2005 06:56PM
Excellently done! Thanks!
michael
July 06, 2005 07:01PM
Will do! Thanks - any particular search words I should use?
July 07, 2005 01:54AM
have a look at the following url:

[www.classicmarvel.com]

revamp > Time to vote for Inventing /Modifying / Kit bashing

Feel free to visit.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.