green lantern rebirth

Posted by Stepson_of_Thanos 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
green lantern rebirth
December 29, 2004 09:43AM
is anyone reding this miniseries? it is freakin' awesome! they are really tying the hal jordan story together properly. i never though DC was capable of putting out such a good story.

Buck Fush!
Re: green lantern rebirth
December 29, 2004 06:22PM
Obviously you haven't read much DC.....
The whole idea of Green Lantern Rebirth is causing annoyance in some circles (like mine). It's part of the old double standard for male versus female characters who kill.
In Marvel's case, the genocidal Galactus is given a free ride, while Phoenix was ordered killed by the editor in chief.
In DC's case, Jean Loring, the ex-Mrs Atom killed Elongated Man's wife and she'll be in Arkham forever. Hal Jordan kills nearly all the Green Lantern Corps AND the Guardians and three members of the JSA..... all that happens to him is he becomes the Spectre for a while!

Post Edited (12-29-04 17:42)

December 29, 2004 06:34PM
Yeah, getting what amounted to a promotion (Spectre was a mega stud even compared to being the Green Lantern) for offing your comrades is just a tad wonky isn't it?

Gerrod

If electricity comes from electrons; does that mean that morality comes from morons? G. Carlin
December 29, 2004 07:27PM
I've been reading this and haven't thought it was anything spectacular yet.

MSH Classic RPG System
[rivendell.fortunecity.com]
December 29, 2004 09:19PM
I only have the first issue of it, but I'm loving it already.

Jean Loring and Hal Jordan are on a completely different level, though.

Hal has gotten the shaft repeatedly. Which of us here, given the power of a Green Lantern, wouldn't do what they could to bring back their home, their loved ones, destroyed by a madman?

If you want to talk about a double standard, let's talk about the double standard those smarmy Guardians pulled with Hal.

"OK, so, Hal, you're bad, you used your powers for personal gain - something we've pretty much been doing all along, but it's OK for us to do so, just not you. So, turn it over, or we'll sick the Corps on you."

The biggest problem I had with Hal icing the Corps was that he could have, at the very least, made a bigger effort to save Kilowog and Tomar-Re, even if he had to take their rings.

The bigger problem is that I, not for a freakin' instant, believe that those two would have stood against Hal.

It made for a good story, but ultimately, that bit dissapointed me.
December 29, 2004 11:27PM
here's my problem.....

yet again they are bringing back a dead man.

I could handle the whole Jordan as Spectre thing since it has to be grafted to a soul, but this.... i'm a bit more apprehensive about.

aside fromone other instance (Green Arrow, coincidence?) DC pretty much maintains that dead is dead. I wont even get into the whole Superman thing. I just don't want what's happened at Marvel (no one ever dies there hell NORMAN Osburne is back for godssake) to happen to DC.

As for people sniping at DC, at this point in time i read more DC than anything Marvel puts out (the only titles being Exile and Astonishing X-men). I've found their stories engaging and multi-layered rather than done for sales alone.
EgoOverride
December 30, 2004 01:25AM
I am not one to 'snipe' at DC. I actually got into comics because I fell in love with DC comics. Marvel was my second love, I'm afraid...

That said, I really was liking the fact that (a) in order for Hal Jordan to atone for pulling stunts like butchering the GL Corps and perverting the very essence of the Green Lantern into Parallax, he died and was semi-reborn as Spectre. It was a great way to keep the character in action without letting him get off for being such a despicable figure.

Hal Jordan was a great Gl, true. But his time had come and gone--DC's head honchos seem to forget that they had to introduce other GLs because Hal's stories and books weren't selling, and his stories were becoming pretty damn dull. Characters like John Stewart (whose Mosaic Limited Series was stunningly well-written), Gnort (of the 80s-90s Justice League), Kilowog, and even Guy Gardener were introduced to make the GL an interesting facet of the DCU.

Then DC opts to wipe the breadth of that history away to make way for a new GL, and thoug I was initially reluctant, Kyle Rayner proved to be my utter favorite GL ever. He even surpassed Hal in that he was a less plastic, multidimensional character. From his girlfriend being murdered early on, to opposing Parallax/Hal Jordan himself (without the benefit of the GL ring, even!), to joining the Justice League, to having a great run in the GL book, Kyle (and his primary writer, Judd Winnick) proved that the GL legacy was not only upheld, but that he was a hero in his own right worthy of the mantle.

It's the most powerful weapon in the universe, and Hal Jordan liked to use it to fly and make big @#$%& boxing gloves. Kyle built solid-energy manga-esque battle robots, freaky short-lived cartoon figures, menacing WMD-spewing assault cannons and other fun implements to make the GL ring reach its potential. Even during his change into 'Ion', Kyle worked hard to balance his near-infinite power with doing the right thing. When he learned he could reshape the very universe with Oa's emerald energies, could read minds and make shifts in the omniversal fabric, Ion/Kyle/GL sought to understand the nature of his power and learned to respect it enough to let is go and refuel Oa and ressurect the little blue-skinned Oans...

I won't pan Hal Jordan as being a bad GL--far from it. He's a cornerstone figure, and his role in the DCU is pivotal. But I do think bringing him back is just a nod to fanboy nostalgia and really neither doing the legacy nor the hero involved justice.

I've not even picked up Rebirth as it largely doesn't interest me. How are they writing Kyle Rayner out of being GL?

Thanks in advance for reading and enlightening me.
December 30, 2004 06:43AM

Author: Gerrod_2002
Date: 12-29-04 17:34

Yeah, getting what amounted to a promotion (Spectre was a mega stud even compared to being the Green Lantern) for offing your comrades is just a tad wonky isn't it?

normally i would agree with you, but the way the story is being explained in issue 3, it makes it clear and understandable why this happened.

it's actually a very nice twist to the storyline.

and no david, i don't read much dc, that's why i was so pleasantly pleased with the writing if this miniseries.

Buck Fush!
December 30, 2004 09:43AM
To each their own. I remember thinking back when it happened that if it were my decision he'd have died in the final story arc, period. irregardless of his supposed rationale, he went rogue and needed to be put down.

I've gotta agree with David here. DC is a dead is dead zone, with few exceptions and the fewer of those there are, the better I like it.

Gerrod

If electricity comes from electrons; does that mean that morality comes from morons? G. Carlin
December 30, 2004 10:59AM
I've been reading since i'm buying the books as a gift for a friend of mine, whos a gl freak, but i certainly wouldn't characterize it as awesome. It makes sense, but still seems to be a generally bad idea. Rebirth initself just seems to be trying to forget about everything thats happened in the gl books since hal became parralax (was the story titled emerald dawn maybe or am i wrong)

For, believe me, the secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment is: to live dangerously!
December 30, 2004 04:56PM
You get caught trying to hack into the FBI's e-mail: you get arrested. You seamlessly take over and pwn their e-mail without getting caught: they offer you a job. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
January 01, 2005 11:17AM
readin' it, lovin it, hope it keeps on track and gatherin' steam :hot:

Winning isn't everything.. It's the only thing... - Vince Lombardi
January 01, 2005 11:21AM
I agree with you, Kythri, but given his state of mind it is not surprising that he plowed through both of his closet friends in the core. Coast City was his life before the core, and the lose of everthing held dear has to have a devestating affect on a guy.

Dx

January 01, 2005 11:25AM
Correction - The Gardians drained themselves into a single ring, which Ganthet bestowed opon Kyle. While Hal's rampage did bring this about, he did not actually kill them. They saw this as a last ditch effort.

:)

Dx

January 01, 2005 12:01PM
Well if they kill off Superman, and bring him back. Paralyze Batman, and bring him back, Do what ever has been done to Green Arrow (i dont follow that character but seem to recall him being killed, crippled, or something), then why cant they bring back Hal? I wouldnt mind seeing Barry Allen come back as flash either (if he hasnt all ready).

Now if they had left Supes dead, left Bats crippled , ect., then I could agree with people who are upset that they are brining back Hal. I am just happy that they are bringing Hal back, and seem to be doing it in a why that doesnt have Franklin Richard shunting the whole DC uniiverse into a re-born scenario, having Carol Ferris walk out of her shower into Hal' arms and writing off the whole thing as a dream, or rebooting the series with a whole new hal with a modified origin.

That all being said I must applaude how DC normally works out a logical (if not sometimes fantastic) ways to bring their core characters back from death or inactive statis. I can folow the logic of Super man the soler duracell still living because his reserves were not totally tapped, or having Batman who is probably the Captian America of DC as far as physical discipline is concerened, rehabilittae himself. So why cant Hal, the greatest green lantern the Core ahd ever seen since Sinestro, fight the Specter and return.

As for the double standard that Mr. Martin and others have mentioned ,Hal took the power of the central battery to "make things right" Insanely misguided perhaps, but still his intentions were good. did the character menitoned in mr. maritns quote murder that character "to set things right?" no, i am betting not.

Feel free to debate this, as this is only my opinon of a character that helped me appreciate DC comics, and also helped restore my love of comic collecting

"Talk amongst yerselves. I'm so verklempt"

Dx

January 04, 2005 09:59AM
I disagree that DC is a dead is dead place. Aside from the obvious Superman coming back there is the previously mentioned Green Arrow, Plastic Man has recently seemingly died a few times only to come back the next issue. Let's see who else can we add to the list? Well we can add Wally West's girl (Linda I think) granted she turned out to have been taken out of that reality instead. I can't remember if Jay Garrick was dead, but he certainly should be by now. I'm sure if you think a little harder you'll come up with some more soon enough. I haven't read a whole bunch of D.C. titles but it seems like they're bringing someone back every so often. Of course if we go into villians (someone mentioned Osborne so I'll go here) then you got Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Hank Shaw and Doomsday, etc. Not that I have a problem with heroes or villains coming back from the dead. I'm a big fan of it. I'm just saying that D.C. has it's share too. Sure what Hal did was a very bad thing, but if the Justice League can forgive Major Disaster.... It's not like there aren't villians that have done all sorts of dispicable things that become good guys. Hal's only different because he's a good guy that went bad and is going back. And there's an unwritten rule somewhere that it's wrong to do that. Screw it. Give him a warm welcome back.

Once last thing. I see your point Dave and normally I would agree with you. I'll even give you that there is an unproportionate amount of Superheroines that kill and come back, but there are a few flaws in said complaint. 1) Both Jean Grey and the Phoenix Force came back and were heroes when they did. 2) Galactus pretty much can't be stopped except by Death or some one on her power scale or higher. And none of them would kill him just for doing what is natural for him to survive. Of course I've probably just screwed up that whole disagreement as I'm not used to finding myself at the opposite side of an issue with ya! It was meant as a friendly disagreement by the way.

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the fly.

A true evil genius will do everything for a specific thought out reason and make it look like there was no reason for it at all.

Alabar
January 04, 2005 10:38AM
SInce Warlock is AWOL, let me just say for him, as he would be upset were it not mentioned:

"Who Cares it's DC"

(Incidentally, GL, Hal in particular, is his fave DC title... not that i told you that.. as we all no Warlock NEVER reads DC ;) )

Jesus Saves! The rest of you take damage.
January 04, 2005 12:29PM
I just have one really minor opinion to add.... Thay are giving Guy back a Power Ring!

sorry but most of my enjoyment of the character was when he had a ring and played off of Hal and the others.
January 04, 2005 12:58PM
Isn't Guy a Demon now?

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
January 04, 2005 08:30PM
some sort of alien human hybrid that can morph into bodily weapons.

this is getting burned out of his system so now he's just human again and now has a spare power ring that Hal gave to Ollie way back in the day.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.