I, Robot

Posted by Acolyte 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I, Robot
December 17, 2004 10:25PM
So, barring dissimilarity to Asimov's book (and the inevitable whining from his fans), is this flick any good? Based solely on it's merits as a movie, if indeed there are any.

With great power comes great responsibility in a world that fears and hates you, because criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot.
Re: I, Robot
December 17, 2004 10:46PM
I originally did not intend to go anywhere near this flick.
Then I read a review oif it by Janet Asimov who said her father would have approved of the flick, aside from him probably regretting Brigitte Moynihan did not have a nude scene.

So I went to watch the movie.

Dang if they didn't follow the rules of an Asimove robot tale!

Go see it. Or buy it, as the DVD just came out.

December 18, 2004 01:08AM
ok then so they followed the book... I have not read the book... I thought that the movie was quite good.

Does any one remember where this quote came from....

" I have no mouth and I must scream"

:bounce:

Fangs
>>| |-- ::!o --||<<
"Yes it the Game has bugs"
"I like mine squished"
"Bon Appetite!"
December 18, 2004 07:41AM
No, they didn't follow the book. At all. The only similarity between the movie & the book is the Laws of Robotics.

It was a decent flick, though, but I'd disagree with Janet -- I don't think Isaac would approve of his name being slapped on it.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
December 18, 2004 11:22AM
Isn't that the name of a short story by Harlan Ellison short story?
December 18, 2004 12:24PM
Harlan Ellison did a screenplay adaptation of Asimov's I, Robot. It was published (I have a copy, somewhere), but never filmed.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
December 18, 2004 08:58PM
Dr A, much as I respect you, I think I'll take the word of the other Dr A's daughter on the subject of his taste.
The thrust of many of Asimov's robot stories was the intellectual pursuit of a problem caused by a robot apparently disobeying The Three Laws. The intellectual pursuit of the problem leads to dramatic action.
SO in that regard, the fklick followed the rules and format.
I lot of fans were upset that Susan Calvin was a babe.
Oh so what. When Asimov wrote the tales, women characters were a rarity. A woman scientist was even more rare. And unfortunately more unacceptable to male readers of the 40s.
And Asimov, genius that he was, had a real problem writing believable female characters. So he played things safe and made Calvin a sexless, unemotionable spinster.

December 18, 2004 10:07PM
Heh. City on the Edge of Forever.

With great power comes great responsibility in a world that fears and hates you, because criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot.
December 18, 2004 11:29PM
The movie was pretty good I thought. I wouldn't put it on the top of any of my lists, but it was worth the price of admission. But then again I haven't read the book either. I saw an episode of the new Twilight Zone of that name which was rather good and the movie had some aspects of it. Probably more a case of the episode mimicking the book and the movie doing the same though.

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the fly.

A true evil genius will do everything for a specific thought out reason and make it look like there was no reason for it at all.

Alabar
January 19, 2005 02:10PM
There were numerous places in the movie where there were cinematic departures: but I think the flavor of the genius of Asimov was beautifully rendered and well protrayed. The Converse Hightops (circa 2004) were a great touch. The animation was superb and for all the fact that I knew what was coming, the movie was still highly enjoyable. I think they did a wonderful job with it. More than worth te price of a rental or two, this one I'm buying.

Gerrod

If electricity comes from electrons; does that mean that morality comes from morons? G. Carlin

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.