A discussion? on realism

Posted by Warlock 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
SmartBomb
Re: A discussion? on realism
June 06, 2005 02:07PM
Actually, it might be technically possible to have 'liquid metal skin' without any noticeable weight gain.

A lot of that can be determined from the type of metals used in the skin's compostion. There are metals and alloys that are indeed light, and if only replacing the skin, wouldn't represent a huge weight increase. I'm not a scientist, but titanium comes to mind as being durable and featherweight.

Another thing to consider is the nature of the power. Is the character's body so-called 'organic steel'? Technically, to be considered organic, the object--in this case, the person's flesh--must contain carbon.

Carbon in steel is nothing new--some of the strongest alloys available are tempered with carbon. Indeed, if you factor in nanotechnologies that we're developing in current science and extrapolate it to the Nth (aka comic science) degree, it's definitely possible. Carbon rods are being strung together in threads which have the tensile strength of steel many times over, while being a fraction of the weight. Partner that with a particularly light and durable metal--titanium, for instance, and you've got your 'organic steel'--which is both lightweight AND resilient.

I'm not arguing against injecting realism into games, and indeed I hope that provokes further discussion into putting bleeding edge science and philospohy to work in your games.
June 07, 2005 07:52AM
So I looked it up in my handy dandy Pocket Ref.

Let's use me for example.

I'm over 6 feet in height, we'll round up to 2 feet in width, multiply that by two for front, back, and side.

A 1/4 inch 1 x 1 steel plate (what it would take to stop a 357 or 44 magnum slug) weighs in at 10.21 lbs.

That would be 6x2x2=24 x 10.21 would average around 240lbs of metallic skin. I normally weigh around 190 lbs . Adding 240+190=430lbs.

Now, if we go with something lighter, like Titanium, which is 60% less weight than Steel, we'd get 96lbs of skin + my base of 190 = 286 lbs of armored hero.

That's really not so bad if you consider the average human male is around 200-240. Sure, he would clunk when he walked.

Brelas
June 07, 2005 02:26PM
Think of the sound his metal nads would make when banging together. Stealth? I think not. :D

DG X(

Marvel > DC
SmartBomb
June 07, 2005 03:41PM
This is where we all type in our collective "EEEEWWWW", huh?

Um...please tell me Piotr Rasputin and Ben Grimm wear cups. All that heavy lifting can be dangerous.

June 08, 2005 08:04AM
Since Grimm doesn't have external ears when he's Thing, he might not have external genitalia, either.
June 08, 2005 09:51AM
Dr., given his compostion, how could you tell if he did?
June 09, 2005 05:57AM
Exactly.
June 09, 2005 07:00AM
*Ben Grimm enters Dr. Archvilles office*

Ok, Mr. Grimm, I need you to drop your trousers... ok... uhmm... uhh.... :S ok just lift those back up and let me get the miner's stethascope so we can check that heartbeat, k?
June 09, 2005 07:37AM
As we have dropped to the 12 year old boy level with higher vocalublary.... Next we'll be giggling about She-Hulk's boobies.

All in fun:
Brelas
June 09, 2005 08:21AM
giggling about She-Hulk's breasts? never....that sort of thing could never happen around here. We're all MUCH too mature for that......;)
June 09, 2005 10:32AM
*snicker*
June 10, 2005 08:16PM
I like boobies! :D

DG X(

Marvel > DC
June 16, 2005 12:19AM
*Puts up green colored lenses that he was looking at Chyna's Playboy spread with* What? Huh? Ohh of course we are too mature for that. *Hides magazine behind back*

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.