Illusion power resistance

Posted by Momboto 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Illusion power resistance
August 07, 2007 09:12PM
Am curious as to how you lot handle resisting Illusion powers. I tend to have Intuition act as the crucial attribute rather than Psyche. I look at it that way as Intuition helps you puzzle out things/notice things where Psyche is great for resisting direct assaults.

Remaining Momboto, as usual.

---------------------------------------------
Sic Biscuitus Disentegrat.
Re: Illusion power resistance
August 07, 2007 09:57PM
I also generally use Intuition for resisting Illusions...

I also generally employ personal guidelines for making the Feat more difficult if the Illusion encompasses multiple senses (as Illusion power rank doesn't always note that the Illusion is more than visual...)

Quack, damn you...
August 07, 2007 10:08PM
Good point. Hallucinations does that, but not Illusion-Casting.

Remaining Momboto, as usual.

---------------------------------------------
Sic Biscuitus Disentegrat.
August 08, 2007 01:34AM
Well if you're talking illusions that have some physical reality (and by physical I mean directly affects one or more senses, the most common being sight) then you'd go by intuition, as that's the attribute one uses to notice among other things discrepancies in their surroundings. Those created purely in the mind (a la Hallucinations), would require a check against the Psyche. I'd say that'd apply even to magical illusions that affect the senses as while they're produced by magic they aren't really affecting the mind of the character so wouldn't in that case do a Psyche check against the magic but use Intuition instead. A good example of that would be Mephisto, as it was established during the Secret Wars II that his influence on the earthly plane is totally illusionary and you'd need an Intuition feat to see through them I'd say in that case.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
August 08, 2007 05:32PM
Yeah, Hallucinations and other forms of illusion planted directly in the opponent's mind are essentially telepathic/direct mental attacks, which Psyche is used to resist...

Illusion Casting and similar stuff manifested in the real world, as opposed to being all in one's mind, are more Intuition-related...

seems we're in general agreement on this one ;)

Quack, damn you...

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.