new GM questions

Posted by FTracer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
new GM questions
October 27, 2004 07:50AM
I was looking to run a pickup game when our GM is gone and thought Marvel would be a great choice. I have a few questions I was wondering if I could get some help with.

1. I don't have the rulers that come with the Advanced Set. Is an area on the ruler about one or two inches? I'd like to use heroclix for our games and thought I could reuse the maps. My guess on how to figure out ranges would be starting start the measuring at it's center or closest edge or a heroclix.

2. Does the newer 91' Basic Set have anything more in it than the old one or just newer pictures?

3. Does the Advanced book have the same typos as the pdf version? There's not alot but some.

4. Does anyone know what is in the Spiderman Webs and Avengers Archives sets? Is it just updated stats or are there some adventures and handouts as well?
Re: new GM questions
October 27, 2004 12:03PM
the avengers one has some updated info, all current members of the avengers are featured, the masters of evil army is featured, and it highlights some of the newer equipment they had.

there is also an adventure supplement that goes along with it.
FOOM
October 28, 2004 04:00PM
The '91 Basic Set is better because it has LESS in it than the Advanced Set.
Grubb took his best ideas from his Advanced Set and kept them for Basic. He cut out the rules and details he wrote in an attempt to compete with games like DCH and Champions back in 1986. Basic is easier to learn and play because Grubb streamlined his game for Marvel fans to make roleplaying in the Marvel Universe more accessible and less complicated.

My advice:

1) Use Basic as your foundation.
2) Get Realms of Magic to complement Basic for your mystics and campaigns involving magic.
3) Get the Ultimate Powers Book but:
(A) only use Standard Rank Values when generating ability ranks, just like in Basic and Realms , and
(B) Modify True Invulnerability as Resistance v. the 13 things it is proof against, then along with all of the other Resistance Powers in the UPB apply the rules for Resistances on pages 28 and 29 of Basic.

4) Get Lands of Doom. The devices and machines of Doom, plus the writeups available for any campaign involving Dr. Doom are priceless additions to the game.
5) When you don't like a rule, overrule with your own.

Using Heroclix maps:

On a Heroclix map, areas are 45 feet , not 44 yards.
One square is 15 by 15 feet.
Each 3 X 3 X 3 "block" on the map is an area.

You can use the movement rating on the character base , or figure that for each area that the character can move in MSH, he can move 3 squares on the Heroclix map.
If you do this, then characters with a Remarkable of higher END could move 9 squares, Poor to Excellent move 6 and Feeble moves 3.

Flying characters with Typical Flight would be moving 18 squares (270 feet per turn).
October 28, 2004 06:32PM
1. Sounds great Foom. I printed out the Advanced book but I thought that would be abit of reading for new players. I have the old basic set but it sounds like the '91 set is what I'm looking for. Now I just got to win one on EBay ;-) I've played Marvel in the past, I'm looking for an easy way to get the rest of the group into it. Found some good GM aides from this forum to help my out. Mostly combat tables and stuff.

2. Yeah I printed out all three, background info alone was worth it. Printed out Weapons Locker as well since I'm an Iron Man fan.

3. Sounds like a plan.

4. Yeah, I should have snagged it on Ebay but I didn't know if there was alot in it worth getting.

5. Yup

Thanks for the breakdown on using Heroclix. I think if I can tie in the clix the others guys will get into it.

Lord_Sidious, thanks for the Avengers info. I tried on Ebay but got shotdown. Like to make a charter Midwest Avengers, I read somewhere it was info on it. I looked thru Avengers Coast to Coast and it has the same stuff but the updates would be nice.

I've found loads of adventures I'd like to run. Gates of What If, Marvel Vs Aliens, Mission to Mars, and Future Past modules.
October 29, 2004 07:44AM
YEESS!! Finally won a copy of 91 Basic Set on EBay

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.