Spider Man Dissed by the Avengers ?

Posted by Blacklight 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Blacklight
Spider Man Dissed by the Avengers ?
September 01, 2004 09:30PM
Just a quick question...
I read that Spider Man tried to join the Avengers a while back but the federal government turned down his application. This is relevant to a campagn I am currently running. Was a reason ever given as to why they turned him down ? I would think (along with probably every Avengers member) that Spidey would have made a great Avenger.

Re: Spider Man Dissed by the Avengers ?
September 01, 2004 10:49PM
Hmm...I know Spidey was a reserve Avenger for a time, but for some reason I thought that they offered him membership and he turned down the offer for reserve status.

With great power comes great responsibility in a world that fears and hates you, because criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot.
frank sasso
September 02, 2004 05:59AM
i heard some rumore that spidey will be part of the new avengers, after this whole avengers disassembled thing, along with wolverine. funny how the lineup i heard was similar to the secret war roster. by the way, when is the next secret war coming out?
wyvern
September 02, 2004 08:21AM
he wasn't allowed to join originally due to a lack of experience in cosmic affairs and then later let a villian get more powerful but he then later joined for a whilr
September 02, 2004 09:00AM
I thought he went to see the Avengers in the same story he tried to get in with the FF? Maybe not.

Anyway I thought he was a reserve member?

DG X(

Marvel > DC
September 02, 2004 09:13AM
Spider-Man became a Reserve Member of the Avengers in Avengers #316 (1990), but resigned sometime prior to Peter Parker: Sider-Man #1 (1999). I'm fairly certain the reason was that he prefers to operate solo, rather thab as a team.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Johnny1
September 02, 2004 04:11PM
Archeville is correct. In the issue, The Avengers offered Spider-Man membership when he applied, at the end of the issue, he declined and web slinged away!
The Avengers would love to have Spidey as a member.

He is a reservist, but has never been an active card carrying member.
Generic Avatar
September 02, 2004 07:06PM
Spidey would have had to forego his own line of comic books (and the countless Marvel Team-Ups) if he joined, and that would have been a disaster for Marvel. ;-)

Also, there's a distinct lack of sky scrapers and convenient non-panel cielings in many of the places the Avengers go to. Would Peter have had the time to indulge in self pity as an Avenger?
September 02, 2004 08:14PM
And what about the whole scraping to get by thing, if he was making Avenger's money his rent would always be paid. No drama there.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
September 02, 2004 08:56PM

Spidey would have had to forego his own line of comic books (and the countless Marvel Team-Ups) if he joined, and that would have been a disaster for Marvel.

Not really -- Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, and Thor have had their own comics for decades; their solo titles were around before the Avengers.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.