Herculoids?

Posted by swirler 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Herculoids?
January 20, 2008 12:43PM
Has anyone ever worked up stats for any or all of the Herculoids?

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
A third less filling, Green Lantern Lite!"
Re: Herculoids?
January 20, 2008 04:05PM
I've got some stats on my site.

[rivendell.fortunecity.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2008 04:05PM by tystates.
January 20, 2008 06:54PM
tystates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got some stats on my site.
>
>

very cool
thanks!

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
A third less filling, Green Lantern Lite!"
January 21, 2008 06:46AM
"A guy wearing a tiara and a loincloth who protects the planet Quasar with the help of his family and his pets."

Explained that way, it makes SO much sense. As a kid, I found the Herculoids weird and inaccessible.

By the by, who writes crap like the Herculoids? Do they show their face in public? I mean, your write-ups are sweet, Ty, but wow...they were so cheese-tastic.
January 21, 2008 07:25AM
Nothing crappy about The Herculoids, they served a purpose of entertaining kids while trying to instill some values like responsibility and honesty. Better than the stuff that they put out now that pretends that the real world is all friendly and nice and there are no bad people they're just misunderstood and if you're nice they'll be nice too. That has got to have resulted in a lot of screwed up adults when they find out that the world just doesn't work like that fantasy presentation.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 21, 2008 10:29AM
You hit the nail on the head Nightmask. I loved this series as a kid and would not be surprised to see a low-budget ( sort of ) live action film made out of the Herculoids. considering we are seening Hollywood search for any cult t.v. cartoon to adapt. Thudercats, Transformers, Scooby-doo etc. etc.

But i'm not sure i would pay 10 bucks to see it?

Now if they made JOHNNY QUEST from the 60's into a live action movie- I'M THERE DUDE!!!!
January 21, 2008 10:40AM
Oh yes, the original (not that lame 3D version) Johnny Quest was great, and a rarity for the time with how serious it was, complete with deaths that were reasonable given the dangerous nature of their adventures (like against the evil invisible energy creature). A live-action version that was true to the original character concepts would be great, especially if they were to avoid lame Politically Correct rewrites, like screwing with Hadje (sp?) or the rest of the group, like making Lance black or including a woman because 'we have to have at least one black person and one woman so we don't offend anyone'.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 21, 2008 11:21AM
Another great cartoon was Exosquad. I'd love to see a live action version.

January 21, 2008 11:28AM
Which one was that? Afraid I don't recognize that title.

Blackstarr was pretty good (human crosses into an alternate universe after going through a black hole, ends up with half of a powerful artifact the powerstar, each half is a sword that putting the halves together gives near-infinite power to the possessor).

-- Peter David

January 21, 2008 12:09PM
Um...the Herculoids taught values? Wow.

Funny, I never took that away from my experience watching them. I thought they were kinda two-dimensional and criminally predictable. Even as a kid, I thought they were unsophisticated.

I have a Mama, and she taught me values just fine. I look to cartoons to entertain me, not teach me how to act right.

Cartoons today aren't really that interesting to me, sadly. Most of the stuff foisted onto the American market are really just 30-minute commercials for their action figures and play sets. I dig animated stuff like Futurama, Venture Brothers, Lucy, Daughter of the Devil and ATHF, but most of the cartoons geared towards kids today feel like thinly-veiled marketing campaigns.

I was obsessed with Jonny Quest as a kid. I think it had great storytelling, compelling motivation, a decent level of malevolence for young minds to wrap around without it being too dark.

As I got older, I still really liked JQ, but I was also a little bothered by how they handled Hadji Singh. I don't think it's being unfair to say that calling Hadji "that dirty Hindu boy" was a little bit racist--and this happened in two episodes. Also, the many stereotypes that they played upon for Hadji seemed to highlight how ill-informed the writers were to Indian culture. This is forgivable to some degree, considering the time and context. To replicate this today would be unthinkable--the world is a global village, and I hope we're all smarter than that.

I sorta shudder when people use the term "politically correct" as a buzzword to justify cultural biases.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2008 12:15PM by Bobby Zero.
January 21, 2008 12:41PM
*blinks* Since when was that said? Reworking the character into 'how we feel he should look' damages the character, and whatever he might have been called in the series doesn't do anything less than reflect that some people are racist and make comments like that. He was often the voice of wisdom and offered a useful perspective on dealing with a situation the others missed. Certainly he got better respect than in the parody episode of Family Guy where he's hauled off for 'suspicious activity' at the airport because of his race and name. You just can't do a decent retelling of the older series without keeping the cultural elements that they're linked with.

True many of the newer cartoons are to move product (like Yu-Gi-Oh!) or imported from Japan and then butchered enough to be not worth watching by the time that they're done (Cardcaptor Sakura was sliced and diced into half the episodes it originally had and almost nothing of the original rich anime was left by that point). Then again some comics end up that way too (Rom though did fair better than the toy line, and at least one Marvel comic lasted better in animation than it did in comic format).

-- Peter David

January 21, 2008 01:37PM
[en.wikipedia.org]

It was on in the early 90s.

January 21, 2008 01:44PM
Hmmmm, no wonder I've never heard of it, the periods I've had cable/satellite access never included the period that Exosquad ran.

-- Peter David

January 21, 2008 01:57PM
It really was a sweet show. It had a lot of themes that adults could enjoy to this day, as well as solid continuity and character development/death. When a character died, it really meant something. I'd suggest checking it out if you're able to.

January 21, 2008 02:07PM
I'll certainly keep it in mind if the opportunity ever presents itself. Too many good shows like that have suffered bad editorial/management decisions and died before their time.

-- Peter David

January 21, 2008 02:13PM
on the isohunt site i found a torrent which may be this show that you talking about...

it contains 52 episodes in .mov files
January 21, 2008 02:29PM
Of Exosquad?

Re: Johnny and the PC police
January 21, 2008 10:29PM
I beleive Nightmask used the word politically correct as a perjoritive because it usually means to minamize the core aspects of language and idea's and usually( not always ) stands for censorship or even brushing under the rug a sense of realism even if it's ugly. I happen to agree with him on this point. Many new remakes or adaptations are put thru the P-C- machine and much is lost in an attempt to soften what is percieved as rough edges of the original creative art. -like Johnny Quest.

If they ever do a live action film I hope they cast and write a loyal non- PC script to match the magic that was on the 60's cartoon.

Nightmask- you forgot to mention one more kick-@#$%& thing about Johnny- The opening music, percussion/brass jazz piece was the best cartoon instramental i ever heard in a cartoon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2008 10:30PM by G.A.W..
January 21, 2008 10:45PM
That was a **sweet** piece of hard acid jazz goodness. Hoyt Curtin did the score for that track, which is probably his best work ever.

Curtin also did the theme music to the Jetsons and the Superfriends. Go figure.
Re: Johnny and the PC police
January 21, 2008 11:08PM
True that was pretty grand, much better than what you get nowadays except from an anime. Can't even expect an anime to keep any of its original theme music, wouldn't want to drag things out or really stir emotions, just go for a quicky light, tasteless intro because 'well kids are dumb and won't know what they're missing out on'.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.