Mother Box

Posted by Sp00ksh0w 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Mother Box
November 29, 2007 03:20AM
I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas as to the stats and possibly any powers a Mother Box would have. I know it would have some sort of Gateway power due to the X-Element, but would it have anything else? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

At first you don't succeed...reload
Re: Mother Box
November 29, 2007 05:13AM
[www.angelfire.com]

Hope this helps out!

Ben Riely

"Oh, it's Waffle Time, it's Waffle Time, Won't you have some Waffles of mine!"
November 29, 2007 09:38AM
Same thing I have on my site.
November 29, 2007 01:17PM
Mother Boxes have some defined powers and other vague ones that show up generally as a 'save the day' kind of thing (although might end up resulting in the Mother Box's death as it sacrifices itself for its partner). You can also check the entry for Orion here at Classic Marvel to see one optional power, as his also helps him control his rage and demonstrates Emotional Control. From what I remember of an old Silver Age comic when Orion had been rendered into a coma and grown to giant size in space his mother box maintained a micro-environment close to his body to provide life support in space. An Elseworlds version formed into variation of Superman's S-shield as it helped free him from the control of Darkseid. They also protected anyone with one from the mind control of the Anti-Life equation (although being an Elseworlds that might not be what the Anti-Life equation does in the main DC, if there is one that is).

Their main purpose though seems to be linking one to the Source, opening Boom Tubes, and providing advise that only their chosen partner can hear, to everyone else it just sounds like they're pinging. As a Living Computer though it can substitute when one is in a position to require one, since the mother box can reconfigure itself for universal compatibility to plug into existing technology. The can also manage at least minor feats of molecular manipulation by restructuring clothing so one can go from costume to street clothes and back again with ease.

Since they are alive a hero should lose karma similar to killing any other living being though, although since they are known to make heroic sacrifices the penalties aren't as bad in those cases.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
November 29, 2007 07:29PM
That does help out alot. Everyone that replyed thanks for taking the time to answer my question. It was all helpful. But I guess I have another question. More of a clearification. When you say that Mother Boxs have the power "Duplication" do you mean Self-Duplication, like Multiple Man? Or do you mean Power Duplication, as in the Character 'Mimic'??

At first you don't succeed...reload
November 29, 2007 08:30PM
I don't think I've seen a MB duplicate powers like Mimic, although with no idea how they reproduce and how often I've seen New Gods give a MB to others I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't create copies of themselves similar to how a Green Lantern Power Ring could create functional duplicates to hand on to others back in the Silver Age. Mother Boxes don't seem to have any overt or obvious powers beyond that Boom Tube that they create, but due to their connection to the Source they could have virtually any power a writer wanted to have one display. They probably also have limited Cosmic Awareness (they often display knowledge about events beyond what one would expect) and healing powers. As benevolant sentient machines they seem to go with supportive and beneficial powers that create rather than destroy. The one Orion used to treat Superman when he'd had amnesia and been convinced he was a servant of Darkseid repaired and restored his mind (but the MB pointedly did NOT leave Superman any memory of the lowlies he lead to death at Orion's bidding, for as Orion put it Superman was a hero and heroes should not be burdened with such memories, that they were the domain of warriors like himself). So a MB can engage in mental probes as well as modify or restore lost memories provided it's a beneficial thing in the opinion of the MB.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2007 08:34PM by Nightmask.
November 30, 2007 12:59PM
In official DC Heroes game materials, Mother Boxes are listed with "Omni-Power", which is basically a type of Power Simulation, enabling the Mother Box to produce or mimic the effects of pretty much any other power as needed -- basically, it's pretty much a description for being a plot device, but the Mother Box itself, as a sentient device, would presumably have the final say on what power it opts to simulate. Thus, if a Mother Box is used in a game, the Judge has the last word on which powers can be simulated via the Mother Boxes' Omni-Power / Duplication ability -- typically the simplest, least violent solutions to a problem...

As a further note, in the DC Heroes game system it required Hero Points (DC's equivalent of Karma) for characters to use any such Omni-Power or Power Simulation abilities, so a Judge can easily rule that the Mother Box or the person carrying it must expend Karma equal to the desired Rank of the Power being simulated, up to the limits of the Power Rank of the Omni-Power / Duplication ability itself.

Quack, damn you...

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.