Venom suits.

Posted by Joe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Joe
Venom suits.
May 06, 2007 06:11AM
Is there any stats for just the Symbiote?
Re: Venom suits.
May 06, 2007 09:35AM
this comes up every so often. I keep stats for them in my equipment file.

Venom Symbiotes:

F: +3CS

A: +3CS

S: +4CS

E: +3CS

Powers:

Symbiote: Adjacent characters may try to attack the symbiote itself at -6CS. It has Rm/30 resistance to attacks and has 30 points of health. It recovers 6 points every round. If below 0 it becomes unconscious for 1-10 rounds. The symbiote enhances the hosts physical stats unless the hosts are already higher.

* Webbing: Am/50 strength webbing that sticks to material with In/40 strength, he can manipulate it as if it was his own body. If separated from the symbiote it dissolves in 5-50 minutes. The symbiote can also swing at 3 areas/round.
* Wall Crawling: Am/50
* Fangs/Claws: Ex/20 edged damage
* Combat Sense Negation: In/40 ability to attune itself so it does not register on danger or combat senses.
* Skin Armor: Ty/6 vs. blunt
* Blending: In/40, ability to assume the predominant colors and shapes of the surrounding area. May also alter itself to appear as any kind of clothing the host wishes.

Weakness:

* Sonics do +2CS damage and Fire +1CS.
* Minor Psychological Instability: Increases the host's desire to hunt and kill.
* Minor Rage: Must make a Green FEAT when in combat or begin killing opponents.
* Rage and instability increase as time goes on, Turning the character into a sociopath eventually

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
May 06, 2007 09:49AM
Lord_Sidious Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this comes up every so often. I keep stats for
> them in my equipment file.
>
>
> Venom Symbiotes:
>
> F: +3CS
>
> A: +3CS
>
> S: +4CS
>
> E: +3CS

Just remember that the suit will only give those kinds of bonuses if the host's Abilities were low (read: normal human) to begin with. This is why Spidey didn't end up with a Monstrous Fighting, Shift X Agility and Strength and Unearthly Endurance. Spider-Man can lift 10 tons without the symbiote, and around 11 tons with it. For him, the boosts weren't so drastic.

>
> Powers:
>
> Symbiote: Adjacent characters may try to attack
> the symbiote itself at -6CS. It has Rm/30
> resistance to attacks and has 30 points of health.
> It recovers 6 points every round. If below 0 it
> becomes unconscious for 1-10 rounds. The symbiote
> enhances the hosts physical stats unless the hosts
> are already higher.
>
> * Webbing: Am/50 strength webbing that sticks to
> material with In/40 strength, he can manipulate it
> as if it was his own body. If separated from the
> symbiote it dissolves in 5-50 minutes. The
> symbiote can also swing at 3 areas/round.
> * Wall Crawling: Am/50
> * Fangs/Claws: Ex/20 edged damage
> * Combat Sense Negation: In/40 ability to attune
> itself so it does not register on danger or combat
> senses.
> * Skin Armor: Ty/6 vs. blunt
> * Blending: In/40, ability to assume the
> predominant colors and shapes of the surrounding
> area. May also alter itself to appear as any kind
> of clothing the host wishes.

Remember that most of those powers were patterned after Spider-Man since he was the first host. Theoretically, the symbiote could pattern different powers based on the host.

>
> Weakness:
>
> * Sonics do +2CS damage and Fire +1CS.
> * Minor Psychological Instability: Increases the
> host's desire to hunt and kill.
> * Minor Rage: Must make a Green FEAT when in
> combat or begin killing opponents.
> * Rage and instability increase as time goes on,
> Turning the character into a sociopath eventually

All in all a good writeup. The weaknesses are pretty dead on.

Joe
May 06, 2007 10:06AM
That is what I was wondering, shouldn't the suit have a form of power duplication?
May 06, 2007 10:09AM
Yep, exactly. Though it's limited. I doubt it could do any form of energy manipulation or blasts... Just Body Alteration type powers and maybe some sensory abilities. Also, it likely takes some time, like weeks or months for all of a host's powers to be fully imprinted. The symbiote duplicated Spidey's webbing almost instantly, but the rest of it was fairly gradual.

May 06, 2007 10:26AM
How did the symbiote actually copy Spidey's webbing since it was Peter's invention and not natural? If that is true then the symbiote can copy technology too?
May 06, 2007 11:37AM
see here's my thinking. This symbiote came from a machine on Battleworld. It is quite possible that the machine, when interacting with peter parker, searched for an entity/symbiote/whatever that most closely copied Peters abilities.

Therefore, the Symbiote would naturally have the spider type abilities. I remember several "What if.."'s dealing with what if so-and-so got the symbiote. I think the scariest one was Thor but the most effective was the Punisher.

In all the Symbiote still had it's base abilities (shape change, tendrils, web/solid bullets, enhanced physical abilities) and it developed more based on the imagination of the wearer (Punisher made glider wings out of it and such).

the Webbing and bullets are just small pieces of itself ejected from the main mass, hence why using alot of webbing was shown to tired it out more. If allowed to reabsorb the tendrils/webbing it can have a nigh infinite supply of material.

also, and i HATE to bring another games references into this but if you read the Aberrant game, Eufiber does pretty much the same thing as a symbiote except the ability enhancement.

I had toyed with adding ability min / max's into the write-up, i guess i just keep things like that as mental notes.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
May 06, 2007 12:07PM
I honestly don't see the symbiote doing much to enhance Thor's stats. His power is already far beyond what the symbiote is capable of.

I dig what you're saying about the machine and matching up a symbiote to Peter, but remember, the machine didn't create the symbiote, nor did it choose it. The symbiote was hiding in the machine... all the machine did was make normal costumes. So when Peter asked for a costume, the symbiote oozed out instead, attracted to Parker for some reason.

May 06, 2007 01:26PM
no actually that's a common mistake. Peter used a different machine than the costume maker. The machine Peter used had some kind of helmet gizmo the costume machine looked like a large mainframe with a replicator shelf.

May 06, 2007 01:34PM
Are you sure? What comic verified that, cuz I don't think it was the actual Secret Wars issue.

May 06, 2007 02:46PM
Well as a reminder they did have a Spider-man storyarc covering the symbiotes backstory, and showing that it was a prisoner in that machine, rather than created by it. The symbiote Spider-man released is actually a mutation compared to the rest of its race, and not sociopathic like the rest.

It's rage and murderous lashing out comes from being rejected by Peter after attempting to completely bond with him. Coming from the race it does it lacks a full understanding of the positive emotions like compassion and love and therefor expresses them wrong.

Many of its offspring have proven to be even less dangerous and more heroic (even some of the children of the Carnage symbiote have bonded and acted in a more heroic manner). It's really a matter of the host and how well they and the symbiote bond. The total acceptance by the humans we've seen seems to help mitigate any racially-inherited evil, so I don't see there being a guaranteed transformation of the human host into a bloodthirsty killer.
May 06, 2007 02:50PM
Well in the only what-if? I know of where the creature he brought back from the Secret Wars attempted to bond with Thor the diverence was that instead of being a symbiote like on Earth-616 it was a parasite, draining the life and powers out of its host. As such by the time it encountered Thor it has completely drained Spider-man and managed to acquire the mindless Hulk before it could be exiled by Dr. Strange and completely drained it to the point it reverted to a completely cured Banner, and THEN attempted to bond with Thor. That would mean it had the combined power templates of Spider-man and the Hulk empowering it.
May 06, 2007 03:13PM
I still don't think it's powers are far enough reaching that it could absorb the Hulk's vast power and replicate it.

May 06, 2007 03:36PM
I believe you misread, I said that the version that did that was a parasite, not a symbiote. The parasite was more than capable of consuming the Hulk's power, particularly since the mindless version lacked the capacity to effectively fight back or generate rage-specific compensation for the drain as we've often seen when someone's tried to absorb his powers. Both varieties seem capable of mimicking the inherent powers of a host after sufficient time to study it, likely several months, and passing that information down to their children.
May 06, 2007 03:41PM
You speak as though the symbiote-parasite's ability to mimic power is limitless. Based on that theory, it could absorb and mimic power on Galactus' scale. What oh what are it's limits? Because it does have them.

May 06, 2007 03:46PM
We've never seen any examples of the upper limits, but really it's not that much different from Mimic or the Super-Adaptoid, so why must the Symbiote's power duplication/absorption ability be so much more limited? Every other example of a power-copier only takes seconds, for a symbiote it requires a month or more, likely copying a point a day up to the maximum in a power someone has. It probably can't mimic mental powers or magical ones but powers like spider-man's physical template or the hulk's shouldn't be a problem, but it does seem able to create defenses against at least some mental powers if it has time to study them.
Joe
May 06, 2007 05:48PM
Does anyone feel comfortable whipping up some updated stats for the Symbiote? Maybe something with AM to UN power duplication, with the limitation of only copying FE to PR amounts per day?
May 06, 2007 07:56PM
well he got it in 8 not sure when they took over doom base and started repairing their costumes. So safe bet sometime after 8, hope that vagues things up.

Yes it IS quite possible that the symbiote was a prisoner in A machine for study or something. The two machines just were not the SAME machine.

to be honest i always found that keeping the Symbiote limited to In/40 for Agility and Am/50 for strength would be right. But i went with just the +cs stats instead. Yeah i'm not a fan of the symbiote gaining more powers from the likes of thor and the hulk. Call me a survivalist.

May 06, 2007 08:07PM
My main point is that if a character is already superhuman, the symbiote can't do as much for them. It's why Spidey really didn't get that much more powerful when he had it.

May 06, 2007 08:16PM
Well as we've seen all the symbiotes spawned from the original aberrant one formerly bonded to Spider-man they all carry approximations of his powers and the ability to hide from his Danger Sense, and no desire to run around acquiring/copying more or different powers from others.

It's possible (although unlikely) that those on Earth can't acquire more powers, being so templated off of Spider-man, or else unlike the rest of their kind they exist far more symbiotically with their host (On an earlier thread on this same topic I compared them to the Stargate SG-1 symbiotes and how the one group function more as parasites and the others more symbiotically) and refuse to go out 'power hunting'.

Something that seems to have gone unnoticed or uncommented upon is the fact that the original Scorpion, who's now bonded with the Venom Symbiote, was already superhumanly powerful, exceeding Spider-man in Strength and Endurance. But from what I've seen of his appearances since then it's as if he's been retconned into being a normal human being, as we've certainly not seen him display any kind of combined super-human potential.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.