Why play a "normal human?"

Posted by Goldenbane 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Why play a "normal human?"
March 16, 2008 02:09AM
In the Ultimate Powers book, under the different "class" categories, there is like a 25% chance of being a "normal human." I have to ask why on Earth this is included in the book and why does it have such a HUGE percent chance of rolling it?

The "normal human" rolls on column 2...meaning they never start out with stats over excellent. That means that even "normal humans" like Punisher, Batman, Nightwing, and Electra all don't fit this category (most of them have nearly all Remarkable stats, a few Incredible stats, and possibly even an Amazing stat here and there).

Before you jump on me and say "y'know Goldenbane, sometimes people want to play as cops and firemen...REAL heroes...and they don't have these awesome stats like you're whining about, you power gaming MUNCHKIN!" there's no "power limitation" or "all powers much come from devices" limitation for the class. So that means, while the Friends of Humanity are beating the living crap out of some poor schumck who has a feeble prehensile tail and rolled up "Mutant: Random" they completely ignore the idiot "normal human" with excellent friggin molecule control??

Sorry to complain here, but can someone explain all this to me??
Re: Why play a "normal human?"
March 16, 2008 02:55AM
Well I'm not sure why it gets such a high percentage of occurance, have to ask David about that since he set up the percentages. It doesn't limit them to having all their powers be external I do agree they just don't get to have the powers be of a nature to change them genetically (and theoretically could get powers that increase the FASERIP). As far as getting jumped for questioning it well just ignore that, I've had most of my characters flamed for being 'too powerful' by people counting ranks instead of the character and recently just the opposite complaining my character in The_Rook's game looks to 'wimpy' to get in on the action.

Can't please everyone so just be sure to please who counts, i.e. yourself. I think there were some optional rules supplied for dealing with the Normal Human character to give them a table more appropriate to create characters like Black Panther or Captain America or those who focus on training and equipment over powers. You could also just use the High Tech Hero rules from the players book if you can't find those rules and tweak them some when building or just toss it and design to suit within the restrictions for a normal human. If it's not working for you make it work.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 16, 2008 03:19AM
Goldenbane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the Ultimate Powers book, under the different
> "class" categories, there is like a 25% chance of
> being a "normal human." I have to ask why on
> Earth this is included in the book and why does it
> have such a HUGE percent chance of rolling it?
>
> The "normal human" rolls on column 2...meaning
> they never start out with stats over excellent.
> That means that even "normal humans" like
> Punisher, Batman, Nightwing, and Electra all don't
> fit this category (most of them have nearly all
> Remarkable stats, a few Incredible stats, and
> possibly even an Amazing stat here and there).
>
> Before you jump on me and say "y'know Goldenbane,
> sometimes people want to play as cops and
> firemen...REAL heroes...and they don't have these
> awesome stats like you're whining about, you power
> gaming MUNCHKIN!" there's no "power limitation" or
> "all powers much come from devices" limitation for
> the class. So that means, while the Friends of
> Humanity are beating the living crap out of some
> poor schumck who has a feeble prehensile tail and
> rolled up "Mutant: Random" they completely ignore
> the idiot "normal human" with excellent friggin
> molecule control??
>
> Sorry to complain here, but can someone explain
> all this to me??

I find this to be a very valid and fair question.
I myself, personally found it more challenging of a game play as a regular joe. And found it fun to play as well. As for your question in regards to Punisher, Batman, Nightwing, and Electra stats vs. a regular human. Well, think about it. They worked their way up to those stats. I have a regular guy I play every Saturday and I'm fighting along side people with powers, I mean awesome powers and I take my fair share of beatings including my own lol. I also started out with very low stats and now I'm practically maxing the human potential on my FASE which includes the Ranks you've just mentioned. I can honestly say, that my regular human who happens to be a Marine Captain with some interesting talents can most likely go toe to toe with "some" of the regular folks you've mentioned, because I don't hit girls lol.

"Fer the love of my sweet Community...RAGNARöK"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2008 03:26AM by RAGNARoK.
March 16, 2008 03:28AM
I'll agree though that it is strange that the chance of rolling a Normal Human randomly is oddly high. Wonder what the thinking behind that was?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2008 03:29AM by The Last Duskblade.
March 16, 2008 02:07PM
A ‘Normal’ Human has to Grow in an RPG........ For most other RPG systems (D&D / WH40K / FF) many aspects of the game is centered on Character Evolution, and how they grow from Pathetic to ‘BAD-AZZ’

The other thing is the Challenge, and learning how to utilize EVERY aspect of MSH at maximum efficiency.....

As an Example: With the correct Karma ‘Burn’ and utilizing every ‘Talent’ and every conceivable advantage, plus being VERY descriptive about your Character’s Action FEATs You’ll Score Yellows, REDS, Stuns, Slams, and even KILLS with stats at FB:02 | PR:04 | TY:06....

The difficult aspect of playing a ‘Normal’ human is your Character can be ‘KILLED’ or taken out of commission very easily.....

One failed Defense FEAT and your ‘Normal’ human Character is nearly ‘DEAD’....

Also, the Character Creation Table is meant to invite ‘New’ Players to your Game Table..... The Comic Book community is quite small. Most people do not read Comic Books or Play RPGs;....

Most people’s creativity and imagination is strongly based on their perception of realistic physics.....

Just explaining IN:40 FASERIP or ‘True Flight’ or a ‘Hand blasted Photon Beam’ to a new player who has never read a comic book is a battle in itself...

It’s also why Bat-Man, Wolverine, Punisher, Dare Devil, Iron-Man, and Cap’n America are SO popular.... They are ‘Normal’ Humans.... And their concepts and actions are easily understood..........

That’s a few reasons ‘Why’ the Character Creation Table has such a high percentage for ‘Normal’ Human....

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.