Thank you all and good night

Posted by aunt_petunia 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Thank you all and good night
March 04, 2008 03:05PM
Well folks, that's it. I'm calling it a day. I have too much on in real life to devote any time to the site unfortunately. The yearly subscription is about over and i dont have the cash or inclination to renew. It has been a great deal of fun and i have learned alot from creating and maintaining this site.

Yes, i am saddened by the loss, i have invested a great deal of time and money into classicmarvel.com however i cannot keep up any longer. Work and family commitments are just too demanding these days. Folks have been complaining a bit about my lack of attention and updates and this is why. To all the guests and members of classicmarvel, I'm sorry, i just cannot give anymore.

I'll be checking in over the next week or so and then signing off.

'Fer the love of my sweet Aunt Petunia' - Ben Grimm
Pass the Torch....?
March 04, 2008 03:27PM
Aunt Petunia,

Thank you for your efforts over the last several years. Since I know many of the people here will be sad to see the website and forum go...I'd be more than happy to host it myself. I've got a couple of my own website's that I host with Host Monster. I believe it would be a pretty simple matter of moving the data you have over to my host site. Also, I'm more than happy to renew the URL for this site seeing as it is the one we call home. Losing these forums would be like losing a large amount of information on the game. I'll to what I can to jump in and keep that from happening. You can e-mail me at thelastduskblade@yahoo.com to discuss details if you like. I definitely understand when life is too busy to continue on with projects such as these. A few years ago I would have been in the same position. Now, however I have the time for such a venture.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
Re: Thank you all and good night
March 04, 2008 03:44PM
Is there another alternative?

I remember the last time the site was in financial straits, we were able to chip in... is that still an option?

i don't really care one way or the other about updates, but i do use this site as a resource, and it'd be a shame to lose it, even if nothing was ever added to it again. Is there a buy option that we could donate dough, and you just keep the lights on?

March 04, 2008 04:02PM
It'd be a shame to lose this site completely. Perhaps Aunt P can take up TLD's offer and pass the torch on to someone who has the RL freedom at this time to keep it going... This site has always been, for me at least, far more than just the sum of the information and resources it's provided.

No matter what happens, Aunt P, you'll be fondly remembered for having provided us such a wonderful place to hang out for so long. Thank you for everything. All the best wishes from the entire Redman family to you and yours.

P.S. to TLD: If Aunt P does opt to pass the torch, let me know, and I'll see what I can scrape up to help out a bit on the hosting costs...

Quack, damn you...
March 04, 2008 04:23PM
It's a depressing thought that after loving this site and enjoying the discussions and the people I've met here that it could go away so abruptly. I hope you take someone up on the offer of taking over the site and the hosting of it so that this great creation of yours can continue on Aunt_Petunia even if you can no longer afford to maintain it. Either way you brought us all a wonderful site that enriched many a game and just enriched things in general and you'll be missed and I hope life treats you well.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 04, 2008 05:23PM
The various stats and updates provded by the sight are good, but the mix of different people, their opinions and our discussions are the true value of this sight.... all courtesy of Aunt Petunia of course.

It would be a real shame to lose this site... to lose this group of folks. I sure hope someone can take over.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
March 04, 2008 06:12PM
Aunt_Petunia,

Skycutter is very much interested in taking over the site wholeheartedly to keep it alive. I sent a PM from him via proxy regarding the issue.

Again, your work here has been very much appreciated. Thank you for your hard work over the years. You have my respect.

TAG
March 04, 2008 10:50PM
Im sorry to here that aunt_petunia, your site helped me get started into the game also helped in finding several hard to find resources. It was also the insperation for me to make my own MSH site. It would be a shame to see this site completely gone.
I also offer my hand into take the site on, I know you dont know me but I am completely Capable to continueing the site, as I am currently handling my site, I would hate to see it go overboardr. If the site is unable to continue and you cannot find an ultimatum, I would like to reffer some of the veteran members to visit my sites forums, and you can progress the patrionage with the other members.

please take a visit
www.marvelsanctuary.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 10:57PM by HotIce.
March 04, 2008 11:39PM
Aunt P,

You don't have to apologize to anybody. What you've done is offer the MSH Community a wonderful place to gather, trade stories and ideas during the time the site was running. You offered downloads for difficult-to-get game supplements and a vast amount of information and resources for it without asking for a thing in return. Moreover, I personally believe that you, single-handedly, did the most out of any single one of us to keep the MSH Community alive as a whole. You helped a dying game keep its breath. For that, we all thank you.

You shouldn't have to apologize to anybody for that.

The Rook
(who is also offering to host the site, should you desire to turn it over to new hands)
March 05, 2008 03:08AM
Oh.......

This is horrible news...... I had recently found this Site doing a Google Search on the Iron-Man Movie....... And I was like “Holy Cow, I used to play this Game” and ALL these other people play it too.......

What a resource of Knowledge and Opinions...... Anyway, It really brought back a little bit of my childhood.......... Even though I’ve only been a member for a few months, I’m gonna miss these Forums and the Site.......

THANK YOU for hosting it for so long.......

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
March 05, 2008 03:11AM
Thnx for the memories Aunt P. I'll chip in for hosting if someone wants to take over.
March 05, 2008 03:34AM
Thanks to Aunt Petunia, and this site I was able to revive my old Marval game amonst old friends who used to play and missed this game. I was the only one with any resources left from those bygone days, but without this site playing would have been nearly impossible, as ebay was my only way to track down core books and game modules. And that was only piecemeal, the materials are long out o print and hard to come by, So thank you Aunt Petunia, for reviving my old game and allowing me to pass it down to a new generation!
March 05, 2008 09:29AM
Thanks for the good memories... regardless of what happens next, I'm glad you hosted this wonderful site as long as you did.

March 05, 2008 01:39PM
I'm sorry to see this happening, but I can't say that I've not seen it coming.
I know how Aunty P feels. I've been suffering from burnout and other things
being a bit more of a priority of late.

I would like to suggest Aunty P consider what TheLastDuskblade is offering.
I've not seen "all" the other options that may have been posted here, but I
have become acquainted with him in Rook's game over the past couple of
weeks and find him to be a senisble person, who would be a worthy successor.

Skycutter, TAG and others who have a deep passion for the game are also
food for thought, when it comes to strong creative forces in the community.

This community is something that I have been a part of for the better part of
15+ years...as the webmaster and creative force behind a site some of you
might remember, which I ran for nearly 8 years before I called it quits...

Arakne's Web was something I put a lot of time and work into, back in the
day. And some of that material I wrote wound up here, with my permission.

If somebody takes over this site, see me in regards to my works...

If any of you wondered why I seemingly dropped off the face of the earth, it
was due to some rather unpleasant people around the internet who were not
exactly people I care to associate with or discuss. That's all I shall say, but
suffice to say, I've been here all along...in spite of keeping a lower profile and
a "secret identity" for a while.

I've seen this community rebound from things in the past, and I chipped in a
chunk of change when Aunty P last had financial difficulties with the costs
of maintaining this site. I've shared alot of my creative self with the online MSH
community, and depending on the circumstances, I might continue to be able
to do so--but there are limits to my patience and my tolerence--which has been
sorely tested in the past few months.

That being said, I do wish Aunty P all the best and I *have* enjoyed the majority
of the run of this site. It outlasted mine, and Vlemming's...absorbing some of the
good things that he and I had been able to offer in the past. It would be very good
to see this site/domain take on new life in a veritbale third generation of hands...

And I wouldn't mind being a part of that, as I said, depending on the circumstances
and what options are available...

Best regards,

Niniri

(aka Lady Arakne and DarquePhoenyx in the past)

March 05, 2008 02:02PM
If its mostly host issues, I can easily have you covered. Im not sure how many of you are anime fans and know of large anime sites but, one of my friends own NarutoFOB.com it is a very very large anime site and he has trillabytes of of media so he has the room to host. He is currently hosting my site for free. I and I am willing to hosting this site since it will cost no one anything.

aunt_petunia please think about passing it on to someone else, it appears that members would greatly be disappointed if it where to see its final farewell.
March 05, 2008 02:18PM
thanks for the words. it's nice. the problem really is priorities and family and work come first. This leaves me with no time for the site. I am considering the offers to "hand over the reins", however this site has been a big part of my life for many years and I really need to know my baby is going into good hands that will advance the classicmarvel game and not destroy the classicmarvel.com name/brand/site (whatever, you get the gist).

'Fer the love of my sweet Aunt Petunia' - Ben Grimm
Re: Hey Aunt Petunia
March 05, 2008 03:06PM
Thanks for being the admin on a fine web site. Perhaps you could be like Willie Wanka and test the waters with some golden tickets. You might find someone to take care of your work. The Encyclopedia part of the board is great. I would hate to lose it.

However, I also prefer the board and the regular posters. If the board is going to shut down, perhaps one of us can create a free ezbaord comics web site for future posts?
March 05, 2008 03:16PM
well Auntie, let me throw my hat into the ring for taking over the reigns. While i may not have the following some of the others do, I have enjoyed this site and greatly value the resource it brings to the community.

Plus i have a friend that does hosting so, for me at least, it would be a small matter to transfer it all.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
March 05, 2008 09:08PM
Aunt Petunia,

I completely understand your attachment to the site. If you choose not to "turn over the reigns" to somebody else, no one could fault you for that decision. Just come to a decision that you're at peace with and know that there are many who'd consider it a privledge to take it over in your absence.

The Rook
March 06, 2008 02:46PM
To Auntie P,

While I do not have the time to do so myself, and can totally understand your hesitance to allow others to take over something you have put forth so much love and effort into, please consider allowing someone else to take over the reins. This site has given me, and many others, not only information but a plethora of good memories and connections over the years.

But whatever your decision, many kudos to you for your years of service.

Your Humble Servant,

Gene,

genek5@yahoo.com

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.