UPB turns 22 today

Posted by DavidEMartin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
UPB turns 22 today
March 01, 2008 01:52PM
Just a quick note.
Today is the 22nd anniversary of the release of The Ultimate Powers Book.....
and that little paragraph about True Invulnerability.

You'd think UPB would take time to write or call but noooooooooo..................

Re: UPB turns 22 today
March 01, 2008 02:03PM
22 years since I first saw the UPB and through it learned about the Classic Marvel RPG and became a diehard fan ever since. Amazing how the years fly by but my copy's still doing well.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 01, 2008 02:42PM
My first UPB wound up dilapidated from over-use, as did my original copy of the Basic and Advanced Sets (me and my friends were kids, and didn't think of RPGs as collectible items back then.. they were just fun), so I now utilize a pdf version, with a printed copy of it for myself and my players who enjoy the hands-on feel of hardcopy...

All in all, one of my favorite RPG items ever... Thanks, David :)

Quack, damn you...
March 02, 2008 12:06AM
One of the most important books (for me) I've owned in my life. Thanks for your efforts.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
March 02, 2008 01:36AM
An indispensible document. Thank you, David.

The Rook
March 04, 2008 09:48AM
Dave;

Isn't that the way for all documents you work hard on? They never call, they never send a card, always costing you money....

My UPB is so beat up, I'm afraid I'll be arrested for book neglect.

Awesome document...very very nice!
FNG
March 05, 2008 12:00PM
22 years and you have still never bleedin finished it.

How does the number of simultaneous targets/actions work?

FNG
March 05, 2008 03:22PM
LOL i remeber seeing this in a Walden's Books one day right before i had my final in German. I remember buying it, blowing off the final and reading it all in that day.

Now my copy is old, the cover has since ripped off and been scotch taped on, and the edges of the pages are yellowed from use.

Still one of my all time favorite RPG books.

just thank god for digital copy that last forever.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
March 05, 2008 04:20PM
I hate to be the only one... But Dave, your book has caused me innumerable headaches and arguments in my 2 plus decades of playing Marvel.

But i do appreciate the effort, longevity, and impact the work had on the game. I also did like how it is arather exhaustive list. I just get that feeling of trying to plug in a european appliance to an american socket at times. It can be shocking.

March 05, 2008 09:40PM
Though David E. Martin is only a fictional character made up by Stan Lee, like Spider-man (who was created to make money) or Joe Quesada (who was made up to scare children), I must still say God bless you, David E. Martin, wherever you are.

If he were real, I'd say, "Thank you for the Ultimate Powers Book, THE best accessory to the Marvel Super Heroes Role Playing Game."

I'd tell him, "When I first bought it 20 years ago, I just sat and read and read and read. Incredible."

And I'd tell him, "Don't worry about that demonic chart to nowhere that everyone else asks about. I don't care. The book is a masterpiece."

Mark Newman
Ottumwa, IA

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.