Cosmic Entity Rankings

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cosmic Entity Rankings
February 21, 2008 07:22AM
Trying to work out a general ranking on the various Marvel Cosmic Entities, got a rough list in mind but would like to get any contributions to help expand on it. Some I've in mind include:

1) The One Above All - The Living Tribunal's boss (not the one that leads the Celestials), basically God, and clearly in the Beyond rank in everything.

2) The Beyonders - Likely above the Living Tribunal but below The One Above All, creators of the dimension (and perhaps even the actual dimension) that supplies the infinite reality altering energies of the Cosmic Cubes. Unknown if they exist in multidimensional variations associated with each divergent universe or are a singular dimension that touches on every other reality.

3) The Beyonder - Secret Wars version, dismissing all the discontinuity provided by the editorial fiat to eliminate him.

4) Living Tribunal - Servant of The One Above All who works to maintain some kind of balance between all the various multiverses and within the universes, usually associated with mystical imbalances.

5) Eternity, Infinity, Death, Oblivion - the top ranked exemplars of each individual Marvel Universe, embodying various cosmic concepts related to space and time (Eternity exemplifying infinite time, Infinity infinite space, Death the end of time and Oblivion the end of space).

6) The Celestials - Armored cosmic entities that engage in mysterious genetic experiments across each universe, often creating from the base stock a 'normal' race with the potential for benevolant mutation, a very genetically stable and long-lived 'eternal' version, and a genetically unstable 'deviant' branch but not always. NEVER deign to communicate with what they consider lesser beings, which is pretty much everything ranked below them in the cosmic scheme of things. At best might give psychic impressions of their intent or create holographic images to convey information.

7) Galactus - Sole survivor of the previous universe, possessor of the Power Cosmic and oldest being in the universe. Exists in the balance point between Death and Eternity and requires the life energies of living planets or extremely powerful beings in order to survive. Essential to the continued existance of reality.

Who comes next, or is absent off this list? I'd like to come up with as comprehensive a breakdown as possible.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2008 07:27AM by Nightmask.
Re: Cosmic Entity Rankings
February 21, 2008 07:42AM
i would put Lord Order and Master Chaos before Galactus
February 21, 2008 08:00AM
then after galactus

phoenix force

Mistress Love and Sire Hate

Watchers

Elder gods (cthon,set,Gaia, and Atum

Mephisto

gods like the Asgardians and Olympians
February 21, 2008 08:15AM
I really don't see them anywhere close to being more powerful or ranked higher than Galactus is; he lies as the centerpoint between Eternity and Death after all, and their centerpoint the In-Betweener is weaker (he only held his own against Galactus because Galactus was seriously weakened at the time). While they're non-physical cosmic entities that doesn't necessarily place them higher in rank than Galactus as the only physical cosmic entity in the cosmic order.

The ability to rank the lower ones does get more difficult though and one reason I wanted input from as many as possible. Several entities even get forgotten or ignored because we see them so rarely, like where would the Cosmic Axis or Demiurge fit into things? The Cosmic Axis helped to produce Eon I believe, and the Demiurge was what created all the original entities that existed on Earth before most became demons and were destroyed and what mated with Gaia to produce Atum.

I've left out trying to rank most of the demons and entities of magic since they mostly function at roughly the same level and well below the top ten. About the only ones that come close to reaching the top ten of the known mystical entities are Chthon and Set, original products of the Demiurge's influence on Earth's Biosphere (and perhaps one of the reasons why Galactus finds Earth so attractive as a meal). Gods like Odin and Zeus are clearly way below that level as we saw during the time of the Fourth Host of the Celestials.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 21, 2008 08:56AM
it is very hard to rank exspecialy with all the recons Marvel has been doing, i know the Phoenix force has been described as being Galactus's opposite, and then the problem of ranking the evolved cosmic cubes like the Shaper. Maybe some day we will get lucky and Marvel expalin it all out.
Myself i always wondered what would happen if something like Set or Cthon tried to take on Galactus.
another think i always wondered is why the Gods have never came to earths aid when Galactus tried to feed on it, like they did agaisnt the 4th host. How would the Asgardian life force powered Destroyer that fought the Celestials do against Galactus
February 21, 2008 09:14AM
Don't forget Franklin Richards.

February 21, 2008 09:27AM
Well with the evolved Cosmic Cubes they seem to end up with a varying range of power depending on who has used them in up until the point of their evolution into independent life forms. Those with the most imaginative and creative users likely end up more powerful overall than those with lesser minds (much like how cripple the Shaper of Worlds is, lacking in creativity whereas Kubik is the opposite, filled with it and drive to learn and grow).

For a battle between Galactus and the Destroyer it depends on if Galactus is well-fed. If he's fully fed and able to operate at his peak he'd likely be able to melt the Destroyer down as easily as the Celestials did. Considering Galactus exceeds the power of beings like Atum (who's birth was such that both Set and Chthon fled to other dimensions certain that they'd be slain) I'd say he'd take out both Set and Chthon unless they were very crafty and didn't let their might fool them into a head-on attack (which of the two Set would be most likely to do).

I haven't seen the references to the Phoenix Force like that but it's been retconned to death and lost much of its individuality and uniqueness due to poor writing (including making it one of practically dozens of things anymore that exist across all the divergent realities).

-- Peter David

February 21, 2008 09:27AM
isnt frankin powerless now
February 21, 2008 09:33AM
I don't tend to think of him as a cosmic entity, they keep jerking his power levels around so much and he's had them burned out 'permanently' so many times I can't count.

-- Peter David

February 21, 2008 09:49AM
For now. Just wait...

February 21, 2008 09:49AM
In the past, he's been said to have power exceeding the Celestials. I'd say that qualifies as cosmic entity...

February 21, 2008 09:51AM
Rachel Summers Phoenix made Galactus back down in an issue of Excalibur.

February 21, 2008 10:01AM
I'm not sure if she really made him back off or if he just felt at his energy levels at the time it wasn't worth the effort to smack her down.

-- Peter David

February 21, 2008 10:13AM
Well if that's the case then the Molecule Man needs to be inserted right below The Beyonder then since he exceeded everyone except The Beyonder.

-- Peter David

February 21, 2008 10:29AM
i dont know if the have redone the origins again but didnt it turn out that the Molecule Man and the Beyonder where part of a cosmic cube...so if that was the case wouldnt they go with where ever Kubik and The Shaper of Worlds go in the rankings.
where does the power of a cosmic cube rank anyways, what cosmic entities could be beaten by somebody like Doom or the Red Skull weilding a single cosmic cube. I know it took 5 cosmic cubes wielded by magnus to match the powers of the infinity gauntlet. but what about 1 vs something of less power than Eternity or Death
February 21, 2008 11:04AM
I specifically reject that retcon, it damages almost as much continuity for the Marvel Universe as the recent Spider-man retcon (and forced for about the same reasons). It was also shown in the Infinity Crusade that Cosmic Cubes function at the Beyond level but self-limit save against a powerful enough will to override that, so there's still justification for The Beyonder even as a damaged cosmic cube being infinity powerful.

Well the Red Skull was for a while actually a part of a cosmic cube, the one that Adolph Hitler transferred his mind into way back in Marvel Super-villains Team-up I think it was, when he along with AIM were trying to make a new cube. After years of dormancy in Marvel time it started to activate. Thankfully he didn't learn to exploit it fully and was thwarted in his attempt to do what Korvac did and drain information from Galactus' worldship and become a god and lost the cube's power but with the cube one can easily dominate a world if not an entire galaxy with relative ease as was learned from the Shaper of Worlds. It's also a good thing that the Supreme Intelligence refused to make a cube for the Kree (that's what he was created for originally). The process of creating one though seems to require a living mind to do the impossible calculations (this is what drove MODOC mad and turned him into MODOK, as he was the organic computer that created the metasingularity grey hole that released the X-element for the cube).

I'm not sure what the upper limit is for who someone could safely challenge when with a cosmic cube, Thanos made him 'one with the universe' using the Earth's Cosmic Cube and was unbeatable until Captain Mar-Vell used the foolishly discarded cube to restore things to normalcy.

-- Peter David

February 21, 2008 12:50PM
Thanos has a mental disorder that causes him to self sabotage himself when it comes to omnipotence, though... so you really can't call him foolish.

February 21, 2008 01:14PM
Not a mental disorder, just something many beings have, a fear of success. He sabotages himself because he feels unworthy of the power he seeks which doesn't rise to the level of a disorder and just a flaw like all of us have.

-- Peter David

February 21, 2008 02:55PM
Still, I wouldn't call him foolish... you see what I'm saying?

February 21, 2008 04:55PM
Can't get anything to load today so I'm going to wait until later to read the responses. So it is possible that Punstarr may have already put this up, but I'm going to drop it in here anyway.

[www.comicvine.com]

While I don't agree with all of it, it does provide us with a solid list to go off of.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.