Iron Man movie

Posted by Taarna 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Iron Man movie
January 28, 2008 06:01PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Iron Man movie might be something extra special? Even though Iron Man was never as popular as Spiderman, Batman, The Hulk or Superman, I think this movie will shine.

Why?

1 ) The best Marvel Movies are the ones who have had quality actors in them, period end of paragraphs, and end of sentence! Iron Man will have Robert Downey jr ( Who I think will do very well as Tony Stark ), Gwyneth Paltrow, and Samuel L Jackson. That’s some serious star power

2 ) Iron Man as a hero is perhaps more believable in terms of his powers. A battle suit like Iron man is plausible in the future. Its not pure science fiction.
Re: Iron Man movie
January 28, 2008 07:47PM
I'm hoping the Iron Man movie will prove entertaining, even if it's just as a good action flick. I personally wouldn't rate Downey or Paltrow as quality actors, but that's just my personal bias (though I have enjoyed some of Downey's work).

I do wonder, however, how much or how little of Stark's addictions (alcohol, the suit, etc.) they'll bother to portray in the movie, or if they'll forgo such for the overall story.

Quack, damn you...
January 28, 2008 08:18PM
Probably a fairly low likelihood, it's not as key to portraying him as say the arrogance and fall from grace that Dr. Strange required for the animated movie to portray his change in personality. If the movie were popular enough they might include that in the sequel but starting out they'd likely try to get it as a blockbuster and focus more on the basic storyline adjusted for modern audiences, namely the military involvement, injury, forced to help terrorists create a deadly battlesuit, etc. That's if they do it all and don't leave that as backstory.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 28, 2008 08:22PM
I think Iron Man has a lot of potential. I'm looking forward to it. I would say that the quality actors theory doesn't really hold up when including Hulk. Great actors in that movie, but the movie itself wasn't all it should have been.

TAG
January 29, 2008 05:48AM
ThatArtGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Iron Man has a lot of potential. I'm
> looking forward to it. I would say that the
> quality actors theory doesn't really hold up when
> including Hulk. Great actors in that movie, but
> the movie itself wasn't all it should have been.
>
> TAG

I thought the Banna ( spelling ) did just an ok job as Bruce Banner. I had some problems with the Hulk movie. A major story change on how Bruce Banner became the Hulk irked me a bit. And the Hulk himself was digital hulk, and seemed to lack the right mix of CGI that the the Lord of the Rings and King Kong had. I don't think the acting in the Hulk movie was great, except for Nick Nolte.

I disagree. The quality of actors matters a lot. See the Batman movies.

PS: I hope Iron Man has some problems with drugs. It is his other demon he must defeat.
January 29, 2008 09:13AM
The problem with the Hulk movie was how it dragged on. He didn't even become the Hulk until the movie was halfway over! I was literally bored to freaking tears in that theater for the first half of the movie. I also didn't like that he grew as he got angrier/stronger. Let me guess... that's a trait of Ultimate Hulk.

January 29, 2008 01:23PM
Actually, the whole "anger turns to strength" thing was considered canon in the comics for the Hulk. That has probably changed now, since it seems that every writer seems to have a different take on Big Green.

As far as the Hulk movie goes, I thought it suffered from a form of cinematic schizophrenia. The first part of the movie was actually my favorite, as it set this moody, struggling tone of Banner's self-repression and the relationship between him and Betty Ross. Even the hokey relationship/amnesia regarding his father was handled better than it could have been. Director Ang Lee wanted to create a mythic Jekyll & Hyde story along the same vein as Greek tragedies, and I think in the first part, he built up what amounts to a great first act.

The problem for me is the second part, which quickly devolved into a rock-em-sock-em exercise in CGI-masturbation. The Hulk looked hokey, the conflict between Banner and his father took a total nosedive, and pretty much every character became sad parodies of themselves. All of the brooding tension and interpersonal relationships seemed to cheapen and fall flat once the Hulk actually went on a rampage.

So yeah. That was disappointing.

I don't have high hopes for the Iron Man movie, fyi. I think it'll be fun, and safe, but it won't be anything remarkable.

For my money, the new Hellboy movie looks pretty promising.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.