Unique Powers Anyone?

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Unique Powers Anyone?
January 24, 2008 11:51AM
Considering how there's almost an uncountable number of possible unique and different powers possible what are some that you've seen or created for use in a game? Also what power slot count do you feel the power in question should have? What about just custom versions of what are considered standard powers to give them a more unique or enjoyable feel?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
Re: Unique Powers Anyone?
January 24, 2008 04:11PM
I've done a retooling of chi manipulation to make it more dynamic power stunt wise. I think someone out there has it posted on there site, maybe Tystates of Vlemming's and i developed it way back in the marvel mailing list days.

Basicly it now allows for chi tenchniques as well as finishing moves similar to those seen in fighting games like Street Fighter. It also makes healing and sensory powers possible, as well as temporary stat increases.

I never believed in 'power slots' but if i were forced to categorize it that way i'd make it count as 2. It's kind of the equalizer for those martial arts archetypes to take on more super powered opponents, beyond what powers like martial supremecy can do. it's what seperates really good fighters like Moon Knight or Elektra from fighters that defy the limits of the human body like Ryu or Shang-Chi.

January 24, 2008 04:47PM
Would be interesting to see. Classic Marvel's got a version that looks to be based off of the Ninjas and Superspies RPG system but looks like it could use some cleaning up. I really couldn't get a good feel for it but it has seemed like the more fantastic aspects of Martial Arts has needed some help. Your example of Shang-Chi has like one power stunt listed, when he's close to if not the ultimate Martial Artist for Marvel Comics and one would think he'd have a few more than that. Iron Fist seems to be lacking in more variety as well. Afraid I haven't heard of Ryu or at least don't recognize the name, where exactly are they often featured by Marvel, or is that a character from one of the fighting games?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 24, 2008 05:51PM
Ryu is the main protagonist from the Street Fighter games. Wow, I thought he was very well known.

As for Shang Chi being Marvel's ultimate martial artist, I'd argue that he's only Marvel Earth's ultimate martial artist. As far as the Marvel Universe as a whole goes, I'd say that title goes to either Gamora or the Chapmion of the Universe.

January 24, 2008 05:58PM
Ryu might be well known but not being one who plays the arcade games like Street Fighter he's just not well known to me.

I doubt Champion's the ultimate Martial Artist, while he's devoted eternity to combat and sparring his heavy-hitter cosmic status limits him and I don't think he likely runs across enough challenges to where he'd require the broad range of perks and such a devotee to Martial Arts would have. Gamora might be better in that field, since she started out considerably less powerful and Thanos saw to her training in everything he could. Then again her focus on arts for killing might mean she lacks the diversity that someone like Shang-Chi should have or another devoted to learning the full range of possibilities.

-- Peter David

January 24, 2008 06:12PM
No worries, dude. I figured you weren't the video game type. :)

Well my point is that Gamora is rolling her combat FEATs on a much higher part of the chart than Shang Chi is. His Fighting is Amazing, while her Fighting is essentially Unearthly for the purposes of rolling, and that's with all Martial Arts. Any chick who can paralyze Thanos with two fingers to the throat is one of the universe's baddest fighters in my opinion. (Warlock and the Infinite Watch #8) :D

January 27, 2008 08:39PM
Hmmm...well the most unique power I've seen so far was the power that girl in "Teeth" used. One of her accidental victims was a gyn doctor who called it "vagina dentata". It's a weird from of natural weaponry.
January 27, 2008 09:52PM
Disturbing as hell movie...

March 15, 2008 10:29PM
My character Quietus: [www.classicmarvel.com]

He has a sort of unique power at least in the way of gaming. Wrote it up just for this one character and have never got to play it. Due to the limitations involved it would only take up one power slot in my game. The power stunts that could be developed are cool to think about too.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.