Spidey and Mary Jane. . . No More??

Posted by Skarlett Spyder 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Spidey and Mary Jane. . . No More??
January 10, 2008 08:14PM
I just found out about this, as it was plastered all over Yahoo. WTF is this all about? Some deal with Mephisto to keep Aunt May alive and POOF, over 20 years of continuity is caput??!!

Skarlett da Pissed Off Spyder

P.S. Oh yeah, I'm back :.D

________________________________________________________________________________
"All who wander are not lost." J.R.R. Tolkein

"History and experience have taught us that the oldest among our kind invariably prove the most formidable." Sage, X-Treme X-Men #43

"You leap like a hyena in heat!!" Conan to Wolverine, What If...? #16

"Useless, all useless...I was once a MAN!!" Cobra Commander, G.I. Joe the Movie
Re: Spidey and Mary Jane. . . No More??
January 10, 2008 08:32PM
Hard to find the words to cover just how much outrage that's triggered in fans of Spider-man, and hopefully from the number of people I've heard saying that they're dropping their subscriptions and buying Spider-man in general that the drop in revenues will generate some quick effort to undo that totally screwed up decision. I know it was too far for me to continue buying another spider-man comic that's for sure.

Welcome back ot the forums, wish your return didn't have to come on such an unhappy discovery.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 10, 2008 08:49PM
From reading the article at Yahoo I have to wonder what they were smoking to think that 'everyone' feels Spider-man being married was a terrible idea. If anything fans were glad to finally see him find someone to love and marry and give him everything to carry on no matter how terrible life got, just like the marriage of Superman and Lois Lane at DC. Would be interesting to hear what DC thinks of things, but doubtful anyone would speak about it or the lack of imagination involved in trying to reset Spider-man to being what he was out of high-school, especially when the entire point of the Ultimates line was to cover him from a modern take on things. What next, to clear up the trouble for Iron Man will we see him rebooted to getting some shrapnel in Iraq and trying on his grey suit of armor for the first time?

The awful idea is that fans like him as a suffering single-guy never able to find love when he's supposed to represent the average man, and the average man wants to have that feeling he could by hard-work and perseverence find love that's true. I don't know what roots they were looking at but my roots from looking back at Spider-man don't see him as just some nerd who'd supposed to endlessly suffer and never succeed. Now though I wonder if the deal with erasing Flash Thompson's memories years ago was a warning of what was to come, as they returned him to being the bully jock he was in High School because someone felt his growing up and showing mature was somehow a bad idea instead of a good ones.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 10, 2008 08:49PM
I suspect, and it's probably just me, that this will lead to a reappearance by Gwen Stacy.

Gwen & Petey will get all married & junk, and Lord knows what they're gonna do to screw up MJ. Maybe she ought to make a deal w/ Mephisto to have Gwen killed off again.

Just sayin'.
January 10, 2008 08:55PM
Wouldn't surprise me, given that they mind-wiped Flash Thompson back to High School having Qwen Stacy inexplicably back from the dead with a 'What are you talking about, she's always been alive.' response to readers wouldn't surprise me. Not like they seem to be actually concerned with how the people who pay their paychecks feel, because clearly the 'well it was awful for him to get married and everyone knows it' declaration is really 'I think it is an awful idea and I will force my viewpoint on everyone no matter how much it offends, and even draw it myself to drive the spike in'.

Same kind of deal you see when someone in management hates a TV series, either one just coming out or a long-running one and does everything he can to get it cancelled, no matter how profitable it is to the network and how well-liked by its fanbase.

-- Peter David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 08:56PM by Nightmask.
January 11, 2008 03:20AM
I would have thought they'd kill off Captain America before doing something this bone-headed.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2008 03:20AM by The Beyonders.
January 11, 2008 07:52AM
Didn't I start another thread with this same topic? (:!D

January 11, 2008 09:28PM
Welcome back Skarlett. Good to see some fellow old timers back. All these whiper snappers around now *pulls out cane and geratol* LOL
January 13, 2008 04:53AM
What's this world coming to when you shoot Captain America in the head, They didn't fix that one yet did they, but I'm getting off topic and then drop 20+ years of accepted comic book history someone at Marvel needs to get their brain checked see if the hamster up there is still alive

Start the day with a smile and get it over with

Money is better than poverty if only for financial reasons

Money can't buy happiness but it does bring a more plesant form of misery
January 13, 2008 10:45AM
i would love to give Joe Q a paper cut for every fact he's retconned .... ever.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
January 13, 2008 03:40PM
Lord_Sidious Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i would love to give Joe Q a paper cut for every
> fact he's retconned .... ever.

At a minimum distance of one Planck length between paper-cuts, he'd still have more tally marks on his body than Mr. Szasz. ;)

Well, not that bad, but Joe Cheesy has quite a rep, don't he?

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2008 03:41PM by The Beyonders.
January 13, 2008 07:02PM
Nutshell, from my friend who's a big Hulk/Spiderman fan, Marvel didn't want to set a bad example to kids by having Spiderman go through a divorce, so they decided to use Aunt May's injury as a means to remove the marriage/not set a bad example for their readers. What I have a problem with, isn't really the whole "wiped out the marriage" bit, but the fact that, rather than set a real world bad example (Spiderman getting a divorce), they rather have him make a deal with a devil to fix his problems.

"Look kids! If things are bad, all you have to do is make a deal with the devil, at the cost of a relationship, and everything'll be ok!"

......some example they're setting. At least with the divorce, it's more realistic/down to earth.
January 13, 2008 09:08PM
A bit retarded to consider having a character get divorced so that they could go back to reusing plot ideas from nearly 30 years ago before he was married and try to repackage them as 'new and refreshing' in any case, and yes it's an even worse example having this heroic icon decide that when things were bad that selling out to evil was the way to go instead of accepting that everyone dies eventually.

At least DC has kept Superman's marriage instead of trying to retcon it away, and they've at least had company-wide events occur that would have been able to do so with more legitimacy than selling out to evil. They've shown the low points, including alternate timelines where Superman's gone if not evil at least selfish enough to abandon his job and let the world go to hell, and the highs and had his character weather it all thanks to his love he shares with Lois Lane. THAT is what should have been shown for Spider-man.

As it goes though the story has more the feel of a badly written game module where the PC is required to make a particular choice so that no matter what reasonable alternatives exist it's impossible for him to find them or make use of them. You see characters all over the place (a lot of them Spider-man's even encountered) getting shot and surviving thanks to magic or technology or a mixture of both and yet Spider-man can't find a single person to save his aunt out of all of them? They can cryogenically store Captain America and others and fix them up once they've got the materials available but can't seem to remember how to do it for Aunt May? Doom's alone has taken people a lot worse off than Aunt May and restored them just fine; heck he's got that Bio-Regenerator device he used on Storm to heal her arm after Johnny Storm burned it.

In the end it was just one guy with too much power and the wrong attitude forcing that opinion on everyone else no matter how much he was told it was the wrong decision and a great character and its fandom suffers as a result.

-- Peter David

January 13, 2008 11:53PM
I'm in complete agreement with Nightmask here. I had initial high hopes for the "Aunt May took a bullet meant for Spider-Man" storyline. Now it seems whack. Played out.

About the only redeeming thing they could do with this cold cut of a plot twist is have Aunt May's previous continuity "death" have been the real deal and have this freshly shot Aunt May die and be revealed as a Skrull.

Even then, I'd probably have to don a gasmask to read it.

-----
January 16, 2008 02:34AM
I'm sure the marriage will be back in about a year or so!
January 16, 2008 03:07AM
But not before the summer House of MJ crossover.

:P

-----
January 16, 2008 09:34AM
Buh-dum-dum-kshh! ;)

January 16, 2008 04:12PM
Man I HATE RECONS these no Talent hacks should have their arses kicked.Man I will not buy Spiderman now this Sucks Marvel comicbooks are going into the Sewer.
January 17, 2008 10:17AM
Glancing at the last issue of Spider-man I'll ever read I just can't believe how much continuity and history for Spider-man that's been wiped, stuff that can't even come close to being justified as spinning off from erasing the marriage and love for MJ he had. He's back to mechanical web-shooters so apparently everything related to The Other never happened even though it wasn't connected to the wedding and looks like they've reverted to a 70s or 80s format for their 'fresh and new' stories. *feh* Talk a finger in the eye for all the writers over the years, especially that well-written story for The Other. I guess they should be getting rid of Venom and Carnage as never happening while they're at it and every other character that his titles have spawned since then.

-- Peter David

January 17, 2008 10:40AM
If this continuity wipe means that the over-done symbiote mess and that the godforsaken clone saga never happened, then I'm okay with it. Keep Venom if ya want...seriously, he isn't *that* grating.

But the other three hundred symbiotes are a bit excessive, and worse, just plain tedious.

I don't want to be the Devil's Advocate, but Golden Age comics have a track record for continuity wipes. Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and even Lex Luthor have known Superman's secret identity, forgotten it, learned it again, then had it removed by exposure to (villain's name here) evil (scientific or mystical adjective) device.

Even Spidey, back in the day, had the same continuity issues. Gwen Stacy would discover Peter was Spider-Man, only to get bonked on the head and have a selective amnesia where she didn't remember this.

This does suck because MJ was such a great character. Considering what's going on in the Marvel Universe, perhaps not being married to Spidey indirectly saves her from all the resulting mess.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.