Jack Black as Green Lantern?

Posted by Tormain 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Jack Black as Green Lantern?
July 23, 2004 10:17AM
[www.cinecon.com] not sure I believe it meself. It sounds too idiotic to be true... even for the DC movie team. Here's what it MIGHT look like tho:

Jesus Saves! The rest of you take damage.
Re: Jack Black as Green Lantern?
July 23, 2004 10:50AM
I've heard it from a number of sources myself. Apparently, it's going to be a comedic farce in the style of The Mask.:-o

"Stand and face your better, lapdog"
July 23, 2004 11:31AM
GL as a farce.. yeah. So why does DC like to torment its fans? Are DC fans masochists, or the DC team just stupid?

They have totally lost it on their movies since Batman returns.

July 23, 2004 11:56AM
Actually, DC has been trying to get this thing stopped for weeks, since they know Jack Black in a farcical Mask-stlye flick is so not what GL is, but they can't do anything, since WB owns DC, and WB ultimately has final say in all DC comics-based flicks.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
FOOM
July 23, 2004 03:16PM
I presume that he will be Kyle Rayner. . .surely not Jordan. WAIT. . .Guy Gardner.
July 23, 2004 03:22PM
He's got the mind to play a Rayner or Gardner, but not the body. Mayhaps a simple brain transplant.....

But, no, it'll likely be someone wholly new (like how the Catwoman in the current flick is Patience Price, not Selina Kyle).

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
July 23, 2004 04:12PM
Dr... No wonder DC films suck so bad. They aren't even written by the company that makes them!

July 23, 2004 05:20PM
"The gossip site says that the film adaptation is being described as a "crazy and zany film" and will be in the realm of Jim Carrey's "The Mask." The site also says that DC Comics is objecting to this approach but that Warner Bros. has the final say."

For all the GL fans out there I hope this is just gossip......and that DC's objection stays strong and gains more momentum.

If anything, maybe they can release it on DVD on a specail edition DC STINKER set that includes, Catowman, Batman sequels, Superman sequels, Swamp Thing 2, Steel, Supergirl, and the not yet released Green Lantern. Let's not get into TV movies or series. Anyone remember 1988's Superboy series?

"To each their own."

www.creationmatrix.com
July 23, 2004 05:33PM
Take it away...TAKE IT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE COME TO REAP THE SOULS OF THE LIVING!!!!!
And perhaps, order a burger.
July 24, 2004 04:52PM
HA HA! One more reason to hate DC. They are gonna screw with one of the few characters I actually like from that horrendous uber fan-boy's wet dream of a universe.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
July 24, 2004 06:07PM
No, it's one more reason to hate the WB, since, as has been said, DC's trying to get this abomination stopped.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
July 24, 2004 08:09PM
Well, given the drubbing that CINO (Catwoman in name only) is getting, WB may have financial reason too come to their senses and stop this monstrosity. Universally the critical response has been "SPIDER-MAN is the right way to do a comic book movie, CATWOMAN is the WRONG way to do a comic book movie."
So far CINO has yet to get a single positive review. Even the whorish Entertainment Tonight seems to be going by the adage "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything." ET has been very silent about the film.

July 24, 2004 09:52PM
I guess there is a moral in this story, you sell out and you pay the price. If they'd have not sold out they would have say over what happens to their characters.

You you don't see Marvel being told what their characters will and will not be like on the silver screen.

Boo DC!

Yay Marvel!

:)

DG X(

Marvel > DC
July 25, 2004 12:18AM
Sell out? DC's been a subsidiary of Time-Warner since 1967 (it was bought by the media corporation Kinney National Services, which changed it's name to Warner Communications a year later when it bought the Warner Bros. movie studio, and later merged with Time Magazine to become Time-Warner, and later became AOL Time-Warner). If DC's a sell-out, so is Hanna-Barbera and MGM (which were also bought by/merged with Warner Communications).

As is Marvel, since it was bought & sold more often than a $5 @#$%& on Saturday night throughout the 70's and 80's, until Ron Perelman got his grubby hands on it & gutted the company to shore up his own shaky finances, and Marvel finally had to declare bankruptcy in 1996.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Henry-Kazaa-Jacobs
July 25, 2004 07:38PM
omg I love jack black, he's one of my favorite entertainers, but I don't want to see this movie made. I don't think I'd like to have it made at all. I'm not sure WB could do it justice. Green Lantern is my favorite DC character, and I am very sad. i'm gonna go see catwoman now, just to remember that I can be more depressed than I am nowDr Archeville wrote:
Henry-Kazaa-Jacobs
July 25, 2004 07:38PM
omg I love jack black, he's one of my favorite entertainers, but I don't want to see this movie made. I don't think I'd like to have it made at all. I'm not sure WB could do it justice. Green Lantern is my favorite DC character, and I am very sad. i'm gonna go see catwoman now, just to remember that I can be more depressed than I am now
Henry-Kazaa-Jacobs
July 25, 2004 07:39PM
sorry bout dem posts
July 26, 2004 11:09AM
How can you say anyone other than the comic fans caused Marvel's bankruptcy? It was no other business move than the over printing of comics (which ALL comic companies where doing in the early/mid-90's) that caused Marvel's downfall. Marvel just didn't have the sugar daddy that DC had to come in and save the day.

And as far as any of the companies being a @#$%&, it isn't Marvel that is being told to put something sleezy on (ie a Green Lantern spoof) and go suck the collective @#$%& of the unwashed masses. And like I said the fact that Marvel can tell someone to go to hell if they don't like a script and DC can't says who the real @#$%& is.

I mean Green Lantern is one of the few redeeming qualities of the whole crappy universe and some ******* who's title is bigger than his brains is gonna screw it up simply cause they can.

Me DC, me love you long time!

DG X(

Marvel > DC
August 30, 2004 01:09PM
Thankfully, this rumor has been squashed as just that -- a dirty, dirty rumor.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Yep, just a rumor
August 30, 2004 05:28PM
Somewhere on the DCComics.com boards is a thread that identified this urban legend.
To use Jan Harald Brunvald's methods of disecting an Urban Legends, the "Jack Black Lantern" story found a ready audience in the comics fans appalled by the increasing bad news about CINO. Seing how little regard filmmakers had for a long-established character like Catwoman, it seemed reasonable that an unreasonable filmmaker could come up with something like this. Jack Black was probably chosen because while he was well-known actor, his somewhat flabby physique is opposite the heroic ideal.
Using the Internet to spread the rumor worked as fans tend to instantly react without doing the minimal research to see if the story is real.
(As in my own part spreading the story of the mega-bear a few months ago.)

Post Edited (08-31-04 14:21)

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.