Hero paralels: Marvel---DC

Posted by G.A.W. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hero paralels: Marvel---DC
November 27, 2007 12:39PM
First thing I want to make clear is I'm not looking for judgement calls on who's better or who was first as far as heroes and villain comparisons.

Just that I'm curious on HOW MANY comic company characters have similarities of style and (powers to a point ) and specific type ( not archetype- there would be too many to list )

As if comic universes ( and there writer- artist creater's ) fill in "a position" that seems successfull to the comic readership.

Keep the list going if possible but try not to make too much of a stretch in the PARALEL comparison!

Special Note: do NOT include the Squadron Supreme universe as that was purposely a Marvel emulation of DC characters.

a quick list to start things off--

Batman-------- Moon Knight

Swamp Thing----- Man-Thing

Deathstroke----- Taskmaster

Red Tornado------- Vision

Black Racer------- Silver Surfer

Darkseid---------- Thanos

Interestingly many of these had the same creator or popularizer of both.

the Red Tornado - Vision one I had read about in an interview of some proffessional artists who worked at both Marvel and DC.
Re: Hero paralels: Marvel---DC
November 27, 2007 01:27PM
well there is a lot of cross pollination in the DC and Marvel U's

Legion of Super Heroes - Shi'Ar Imperial Guard

Superman - Sentry

Green Lantern - Quasar

Hawkeye - Green Arrow

just to name a few...

November 27, 2007 02:46PM
Superman-Gladiator also works, or are you considering Gladiator an analog to Mon-El instead of Kal-El?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
November 27, 2007 03:47PM
Mon-El, Superboy, depending on the incarnation of the legion you're going with.

But if you look at the Imperial Guard as a whole, they almost all have an analog character for character in the Legion.

November 27, 2007 05:07PM
I can't believe you guys forgot Aquaman -- Namor.

November 27, 2007 05:26PM
DC did a pastiche of Marvel's Avengers team with the "Champions of Angar" and are running with it as the heroes of the "Earth-8" of that whole "52 alternate Earths still exist" post-Crisis on Infinite Crises to End all Crises Crisis.

They made the Angar world such a clowning goofy parody of Marvel that I couldn't take it seriously. At least Marvel's Squadron pastiche of the JLA and their Imperial Guard pastiche of the LSH were respectfully done. Serious characters. And the characters have come into their own in their own right.

Marvel does DC better than DC does. I love both, but damn.
November 27, 2007 05:40PM
Kismet and Eternity
November 27, 2007 05:41PM
Strange Visitor power and the Captain Universe power
November 27, 2007 06:02PM
I hadn't really thought about it in the past but now that it's pointed out what little I've seen of the Guard does seem to have someone matching up with the Legion (at least as they were starting out, I've no idea how the last set of retcons left the idea of the classic Legion from the Silver Age). At least the Guard so far as I know hasn't had some kind of wannabe Guard of rejects subbing for them, except in that one Exiles reality where Galactus was the Restorer of Words and a funky stone motif. Then again the Legion was run much like your old-school clubhouse before Political Correctnesss stepped in demanding you had to let in anyone no matter what, which meant they had an elitist attitude ('You aren't good enough to join us go away nyha!') and some malicious hazing rights (Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, and Lightning Lad all engaged in humiliating hazing of Superboy for his initiation before inviting him to join, although being Superboy he naturally turned that around and topped all three in one fell swoop as payback, and they also hazed Jimmy Olsen before he was inducted under his guise as Elasti-Lad), although were 'enlightened' enough not to have a 'No Girls!' sign over the door. Hmmmm, I think the future was all-white though, it was quite some years before anyone ever saw a black person in the Legion comics wasn't it? Ignoring the non-traditional/human-aliens with colors like green and blue.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

November 27, 2007 09:35PM
well i'm expecting a return to the silver age LSH very soon. Jim Shooter takes over LSH starting in december (though with out a reboot, thank god) and we see Superman's Legion in Action Comics until feb.

all in all it sounds like a good time in the 30/31 centuries.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
November 27, 2007 09:52PM
I hope it'll mean an end to all the confusing reboots and retcons that made the series unreadable after a while. Get back to the classic Legion where everyone was lass, lad, boy or girl in their Super-hero ID.

-- Peter David

November 27, 2007 11:04PM
Parallax and the Dweller-in-Darkness

Mongul with WarWorld and Thanos with Sanctuary 2

Imperiex and Galactus / Abraxas

Arion and the Ancient One

Amethyst / Gemworld amd Crystar the Crystal Warrior (toy made into comic book spinoff, like Rom: Spaceknight was)

Rocket Red and Crimson Dynamo
November 27, 2007 11:49PM
I've been trying to find enough material online since I can't get to the comics to do some write-ups on Crystar at some point (he even had a crossover with Shaman and Alpha Flight at one point). I'm not sure about them being a good match-up with Amythyst though, but with regards to Arion how do you line him up with the Ancient One? DC doesn't have any kind of Sorcerer Supreme position and Arion's never operated as a mentor of any value to anyone in magical matters.

-- Peter David

November 28, 2007 12:37AM
I guess I've already kinda let the cat out of the bag as far as my love of all things Alpha Flight.

Shaman's medicine pouch is connected to the wizard Ogeode's magic bag in the Crystallium dimension.

We also know from the Hulk and the Secret Wars 2 series that the dimension inside Shaman's bag is accessible through the Crossroads dimensions that Hulk was banished to by Dr. Strange.

Oh, and I've found I was wrong about the rights to Crystar. They're original Marvel characters shopped out as a toy line, not vice versa as I had it before.
Re: The Doc?
November 28, 2007 12:38AM
Who would DC's version of DR. Strange be?
November 28, 2007 12:43AM
Oh, on Arion, kinda of stretching the parallels here, buy in the DC Universe he's still a big name in the mystical community, millenia after his death. I'd say that qualifies as an Ancient One.
November 28, 2007 12:46AM
If the DC Universe had a Sorcerer Supreme, I'd give it to Zatanna.

"Stnatum erom on!"
November 28, 2007 12:48AM
By "duty" I'd give it to Dr. Fate, though.
November 28, 2007 01:02AM
Arion's an oddity, considering he's been retconned enough himself the limited series that showed him and many other mystical Altantean beings living into the modern age is iffy where or not it's still canon or if he died at some point in the past of DC. Just because we've seen his ancient self for some retarded reason jumping forward millenia to try and knock off Superman because he thinks it'd be better in the long run hurrying the Apocalypse along. A bit like those idiot geniuses on ST: DS9 that wanted to sell out the Federation to the Dominion because their projections were it'd be better in the long run, or that idiot Richards selling out the super-human community because his projections were things would get worse until a conflict between humans and superhumans would devastate the planet.

-- Peter David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2007 01:03AM by Nightmask.
November 28, 2007 01:07AM
Dr. Fate of course, he's someone mystically trained to defend the Earth dimension and earth specifically against all threats mystical, with Nabu in the role of Ancient One. At least as far as the original version, no idea what any of the latest versions are like. Dr. Strange just had the benefit of his father not being killed by his mentor and forcibly indoctrinated into magic and mind-tampered in the bargain. Strange was allowed to choose at every step, both to his original fall and to his later redemption.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.