Second Season 'Heroes' Thread

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Second Season 'Heroes' Thread
October 09, 2007 03:24PM
The current Heroes thread from the first season's getting so long and hard to sort through (plus it's got so many individual posts it's causing my browser problems), I thought I'd try and start up a thread focused on this season, and tidy things up at the same time by keeping the focus on what's current and making finding the talk easier to find.

That being said the season does seem to be starting off with less serious material than last season did, and is a bit of a turn off. I mean the deal with Hiro's iconic character was way too predictable, with him having to build his hero into the hero he's read about all his life (and also creating a predestination paradox). Peter being left naked in a dock-side transport was exceptionally odd too. The illegals trying to get across the boarder into the US are on the odd side, with the one giving off some kind of killer energy field and the other necessary to drain it off and keep it under control.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
Re: Second Season 'Heroes' Thread
October 11, 2007 08:49AM
Thanks for starting the new thread. I agree the old one was so good, it was actually getting hard to find anything, or even keep up.

I'm not sure I agree on why this season seems crapier than the first season. I love the Hiro story arc, for example. I am tired of the runaways already. Repetative and I haven't been made to care about them that much, feel no ownership. So it's like, "Who cares?" except for the fact that they're human beings. BUT both my wife (Mrs. Mark) and I agree that this season just hasn't 'wowed' us like the first season did.

It seemed like after some of the First Season shows, you'd just be stunned, like, "Holyyy crap...." and you'd just sit there for a moment. Season Two shows aren't terrible. But they certainly haven't been stunning.

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
October 11, 2007 01:06PM
Good idear starting this "new"/sequel thread Nightmask!

I agree with both you and Mark in that this seasons has lacked the "wow" factor, but I can't say that I'm not enjoying it.

I think that it is mostly a matter of novelty. The first season was the FIRST season, when none of us had any idea of how good or bad this show was going to be or how, exactly, it was going to play out.

I like the idea of Hiro being his own hero. Its neat, if mindboggling.

The brother and sister? Meh........ but then, what have they done so far? Who are they? How do they figure into it all, beyond having superpowers.

Presuambly those questions will answer themselves, with class, in due time and give us a reason to care.

I think that was has being evolving with Claire is pretty interesting. Chopping off her toe?!?!? That was just nuts. In the freakin *living room*????? Pretty stupid for such a bright girl. Windows aside, I woulda at least gone into the bathroom, into the tub. Afterall, the regeneration would not help the carpets and upholstery.

Oh yeah, and Claire's new boyfriend having run into Mr.B in the past. Thats intense. But I keep having this sneaking suspicion that the nosey little puke works for the Company.

Pete's involvement with these bad @$$ Irish types is interesting.Rememberthat flash into the future last season when Pete was somekinda bad-@$$? Maybe this is laying the foundation to for *that*?

And freakin Sylar is back? Moreover, did you catch the clips for next week? Some scarey voice telling Sylar that he didn't have a clue to evil or power or something like that and Sylar looking all intimidated?

I think that this season has definite potential.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
October 11, 2007 01:51PM
So how many people were honestly shocked when the illusion girl got her brain eaten by Sylar? I know I wasn't... the only thing I could think was "you're alone with Sylar and you're NOT expecting him to eat you? Are you stupid?!".

I'm beginning to think that she was set up to get eaten.

The twins do seem kinda boring so far, but as has been said, they haven't had a chance to really do anything yet. I do think their powers are kinda lame though. Death pheromones? Cool, so she can kill both friends and foes... oy.

October 11, 2007 03:30PM
Thanks for the compliment, and yes the deal with Claire's current male friend does seem too easy; I mean what are the odds that her father would just happen to pick a school where one of his former lab rats went to school, and that same lab rat would just happen to meet Claire and realize how different she was? It's not like we've reason to believe he can detect others with powers, otherwise her father's former employers wouldn't have released him they'd have kept him around to catch supers instead. If he can detect powers along with fly then the only reason he'd be at the school would be to find students who developed powers and sound them out for the company.

Hmmmm, well that future Peter was such a ruthless type because of his guilt over the millions that died when he blew up in the city, and failing to stop Syler. Also it seemed that that Syler managed to assimilate the fat girl's illusion powers since he was pretending to be Nathan (since we haven't seen him shown having powers from any non-established characters in previous episodes).

Given Syler's original power to 'figure out how things work' I suppose when he was faced by that Evil Overlord he saw the workings of an evil far vaster and more powerful than him and learned how puny he really was in comparison. Being the sociopath he is I suppose it'd be amusing to see Syler's powers get turned inward and find himself fixing himself and make him into a more compassionate human being.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

October 11, 2007 07:32PM

Well given that the telekinesis is a stolen power (the first apparently) if Peter copied it then he should have copied the rest. He just sucks at managing his powers because he's got so many and no where near enough practice to utilize them all.

I think it's fairly obvious that Peter can only "learn" a power that's coded into an individual's DNA. With Sylar, the company noted that his TK was coded into his DNA, but none of his other powers were. It makes sense that Peter took that power but none of the others.

Odd note though... do you guys think Sylar actually eats the brains of those he kills, or does he do something else with said brain? It never actually shows what he does... and after he killed Candace, he had no blood or anything on his face that one would think would be present after chowing on a person's gray matter.

October 11, 2007 08:06PM
Hmmmm? Makes no sense that Syler would be able to modify his DNA to incorporate TK but wouldn't for the other powers he stole, yet still be able to use them all. It might be his first stolen power but all but his starting power are stolen, and I don't think we've seen any examples of him using Syler's 'fixing' power he started with, and that's one Syler ends up using all the time. If anything he'd be using it all the time given its nature.

I try not to think about how Syler takes the powers of someone after chopping off the top of their skull and taking their brain, I doubt he just eats them but I could be wrong. He may just simply require tactile contact with the brain tissue in order to analyze and copy the power he's after (much like he would be touching his watches he'd be fixing).

-- Peter David

October 11, 2007 11:29PM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmmm? Makes no sense that Syler would be able to
> modify his DNA to incorporate TK but wouldn't for
> the other powers he stole, yet still be able to
> use them all. It might be his first stolen power
> but all but his starting power are stolen, and I
> don't think we've seen any examples of him using
> Syler's 'fixing' power he started with, and that's
> one Syler ends up using all the time. If anything
> he'd be using it all the time given its nature.

In the first season, when Sylar was being held by the company, the doctor remarked that Sylar's DNA didn't show any of his powers encoded into it except for his TK.

>
> I try not to think about how Syler takes the
> powers of someone after chopping off the top of
> their skull and taking their brain, I doubt he
> just eats them but I could be wrong. He may just
> simply require tactile contact with the brain
> tissue in order to analyze and copy the power he's
> after (much like he would be touching his watches
> he'd be fixing).

The brains are always missing, though... so I doubt it was just a touch thing.

October 12, 2007 07:58AM
We should try giving this a few more episodes before we wrap our heads into speculation on how sylar's powers work. it's pretty clear that they aren't functioning normally at this point, so maybe Sylar's going to develop differently than we've seen before.

October 16, 2007 09:30AM
So last episode...

I'm interested to see where the brother/sister wind up now that they have Sylar with them. It seems like his power might be slowly returning, which jkust makes things rather thrilling considering what powers he might try and take.

Parkman's daad being the Nightmare Man seems a little unfitting to me. It's nice Parkman's more tied into this season's story, but his dad being the season baguy just doesn't really grab me. Oh, and the little girl annoys the bejesus out of me. And is it me, or does it seem that Mohinder and matt seem, well to put it bluntly, gay?

Micah's cousin as taskmaster was super cool too. I wonder what power gandma has...

October 16, 2007 10:09AM
How do we know Matt's father is actually the bad guy, everyone went on through season 1 thinking it was claire's father.

Someone is killing off the original Heroes (are they even heroes at all, they all seem more like villians to me). And Molly could play a huge key in singling Matt's father (Wasn't his name Hal from what Petrelli said?) who's obviously gone into hiding.

From the way it seems this all started around the time that Molly was taken by the corporation. They probably used her to track Hal and now he in turns haunts her to protect himself.

The thing that gets me is when Nathan looks in the mirror he seems himself disfigured and becomes Aggressive/Nikki Like.

At the end of season 1 Peter was close enough to Nikki to leech her powers, which means Peter may have split personality now which would make him even more interesting. So what if the amnesia is his second personality manifesting. Nikki took that of her dead sister, what if Peter's mind is building a new "self". And how sick could he be with the powers he already has.
October 16, 2007 11:05AM
If peter was gonna develop a secondary persona, i think we would have seen it by now.

October 16, 2007 11:21AM
Well Syler's certainly doing a good 'Oh I'm a poor abused altruist please let me help you' routine, while he waits for his powers to return to the point where he can go back to killing and gathering up more powers for his collection. But then again he perfected that routine while his powers were still at full strength and accelerating his ability to adapt like that.

I have less trouble with Matt's dad being the latest bad guy in the background than with having all these heroes this season being the abandoned or abused children of the previous generation of supers. It was also stupid to think the girl was safe just because Nightmare Man was thousands of miles away, when he and Mohinder had seen so many different powers it'd not be a stretch that his father would have powers that could reach out and hurt the girl or even kill her. Also yes they do seem to be writing the two guys up like closet gays for some inexplicable reason, like they have to have some kind of gay presence in the show.

The hero family is looking intersting, and I did like the Taskmaster girl, and you just knew she was going to get assaulted when she was shown 'recording' that wrestling/boxing match to show off her power let her do far more than cut tomatos into flowers. I just have problems with everyone being born in a family with totally unrelated powers. I mean density control, super strength, intuitive grasp of technology and computer interfacting, and photographic reflexes? No rhyme or reason to the layout. What'll really be interesting is next week, now that the girl's got an inkling that she can reproduce any physical action she sees we'll get to see what her character decides to cram to try and upgrade herself and make a mark in the world and earn big money to care for her family.

-- Peter David

October 16, 2007 11:26AM
Well the series always wanted a "Gay Presence" (Like George Takai wasn't enough in the first place).

Claire's friend in season 1 was written into the series as being gay, but he was up for the roll on the Terminator TV show and his agent refused to let that go through, which was the main reason he was written off in the first place.

And as far as Peter's second persona, how do we know we haven't seen it all along. When he put the guy up to the wall and was going to finish him, he had a sinsiter smile on his face until the girl pulled him off.
October 16, 2007 11:33AM
Matt's father being a bad guy makes sense, with so many of the previous generation of supers becoming corrupted and falling to evil. After all if he were such a good guy going into hiding he'd have taken his family instead of abandoning them. More likely he headed out to learn how to exploit his powers more fully and been using them for evil ever since, and might be the one case where on the show a child inherits powers similar to the parent, given how he so easily hurt the girl.

I'd say Nightmare Man is the one killing off the old-guard supers as he sees them as possible threats or competition to whatever his plans are and knows that as the most experienced supers around as well as the only ones who know about him and his powers to be a threat to him. So he takes them out first (along with showing how powerful he is by schooling Syler in the nature of evil). It's possible he's even suffered some manner of disfigurement or mutation reflecting his villainous decay.

I have to say I am curious as to why Nathan's showing those odd flashes in the mirror regarding him being disfigured. Then again perhaps the stuff with Nikki wasn't a result of split personality and was instead a super like Malice, a disembodied entity that survives and lives through others. Only it fits in by pretending to be a part of the victim's psyche or an expression of some kind of possessing entity the victim knows to better convince the victim it 'belongs' there.

Peter's showing fairly standard 'traumatic amnesia' as seen on TV, remembering all skills and languages spoken before at a subconscious level but unable to remember those memories related to who he is. His more ruthless actions while in that state can be explained simply enough by the lack of those memories holding him back. Remember he was always afraid of his powers and inhibited and even on the whiner side about them first season, without those fears he's got few problems with using his powers now and being more confident and willing to express his darker side. His family upbringing was the kind that often leaves someone emotionally crippled and unable to really achieve because of the nagging doubts imprinted growing up that say that they can never do right but right now he hasn't got any of those imprints eroding his will.

-- Peter David

October 16, 2007 11:41AM
Takai wasn't flaming or anything on the show though, he was sexually repressed and neutral in his roll as Hiro's father. His preferences were irrelevant In-Character and would have hurt the image for him trying to slap them on. The slapped on 'oh we have to have someone representing X to draw in that demographic to our show' stuff always ticks me off. The Five Man Band look is so obvious and often so poorly done it just sucks and can really hurt a show. Having someone be homosexual just to have one on the show is just stupid, especially when you see the heterosexual characters flirting and dating yet he's making no effort to find partners. I mean sheesh even on SOAP the homosexual comic relief managed to chase tail and that was in like the 70s or 80s.

Yes I heard something about the actor playing Claire's friend having some notion he'd somehow get typecast as 'the gay guy' or some other nonsense and shot himself in the foot as a result, worrying about what was in the bush instead of what he had in hand.

Like I explained in the other post I made I think what we're seeing out of Peter is just him acting and using his powers more confidently as a result of having his inhibiting memories put there by his family's verbal and emotional abuse all wiped currently.

-- Peter David

October 17, 2007 02:19PM
I was choked about that painting of Mr.B shot dead. Not cool.

I'm still not sure about all of these new characters, but... we'll see.

Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
October 17, 2007 02:34PM
Well remember they love to misdirect; as we saw Hiro supposedly fighting a T-rex with a sword but was actually in a museum, or when Peter appeared dead in a painting but wasn't due to Claire's healing power he mimicked. So take heart while it might appear that HRG/Bennet is dead in that painting and going to be killed off sometime this season that might not be the reality of things. I'm sure for example that there are still people around with healing powers we haven't seen yet. Hmmm, now that I think about it, was Peter ever around the guy who was able to heal, the one that healed his brother's wife?

-- Peter David

October 17, 2007 03:01PM
Also don't forget there were paintings that Isaac Mendez painted that didn't come to pass.

October 17, 2007 08:55PM
The gay thing I don't see is there. MOre like two guys caring about one girl trying to take care of her. Granted, I could think of better people to do this, but Parkman and Mohinder are more interesting to watch go through the family process.

Peter just forgot he was a good guy. Hopefully he'll get his memories back to beat on Sylar some more and vice versa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 08:56PM by Foxx.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.