Adamatium

Posted by Manchine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Adamatium
May 20, 2003 10:27PM
Does Captain America's Shield have Adamatium in it?

[www.globaldefenseforce.com]
Re: Adamatium
May 20, 2003 10:37PM
Yes it is a mix of Admantium and Vibranium..Which is why it is not only indistructable but reduces the effects of forces used against it.
:)
May 20, 2003 11:06PM
Thats what I said but I guess someone, Kirby I think his name is, said there was now Adamantium in it as of late. Is there any issues of late that say Cap's shield is Adamantium? Not Ultimates!

[www.globaldefenseforce.com]
May 20, 2003 11:10PM
I thought Cap dropped his shield over the side of a boat into the ocean at the end of the Titanic movie...
May 21, 2003 12:21AM
His WWII shield was steel. Since defrosting, he's gained the Adamantium/Vibranium thing. Maybe that's what they meant by 'now'; you know, just in the last forty years.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
May 21, 2003 12:35AM
To the best of my knowledge the only mention of Adamantium in the Ulimtate Universe is in reference to Wolverine's skeleton. In The Ultimates Hank Pym created Cap's shield and as far as I know it's super strong, but not indestructable.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
May 21, 2003 12:42AM
In refering to Caps sheild I was talking about the "real" Marvel universe. Not the Ultimates. I am a long time reader and prefer the original. Evenn with all its faults.
May 21, 2003 12:45AM
I know I was simply stating the differences between the two genres.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
Epyon
Re: Adamantium
May 21, 2003 06:56AM
One point about Cap's shield: if Wolverine, with his human-level strength, can cut through virtually any substance using his adamantium claws, why can't Cap, with his enhanced-human strength, break virtually any substance with his adamantium-vibranium shield, which is HARDER than adamantium? I raise this point not to argue that Cap should be able to break anything, but to argue that Wolverine should NOT be able to cut through anything just because he happens to have adamantium claws. The physical strength of the person wielding an indestructible blade should be a major factor in their ability to cut through a given substance. I really think Marvel missed the boat on this one.
May 21, 2003 07:37AM
Cutting through vs breaking:

When you cut through an object it's material strength vs material strength. I don't necessarily agree with that, but that's what I read.

When it's breaking, it's damage vs material strength. The most Cap could do with the shield is +1cs over his strength and that's not enough to break all materials.

How's that? I realize that these are game rules, but it's a start.
juddain
May 21, 2003 07:41AM
MacLain began experimenting with the process that created Adamantium as a young scientist in the employ of the United States government in the early 1940s. Assigned to create a super-metal with which to build tanks, MacLain labored for month, experimenting with various iron alloys. One of his experiments utilized the rare meteoric ore now known as Wakandan Vibranium. He tried to fuse the Vibranium to the iron alloy numerous times without success. Then one night when he dozed off, some as yet unknown factor entered the process, and permitted the fusion to occur. Upon discovering his success, MacLain poured the molten metal into a disc-shaped mold. The disc, once solidified, has proven to be the most impervious object ever created on Earth. MacLain turned the disc over to the government and it was given to Captain America to use as his shield. Neither MacLain nor anyone else has ever been able to discover what was the x-factor that entered the process, or has been able to fuse Vibranium with another metal. (The unknown iron-Vibranium alloy of which the shield is composed resembles True Adamantium, although Adamantium itself contains no Vibranium,)

Over the following decades MacLain experimented, attempting to duplicate the process that create the shield. Finally, in recent years, he succeeded in developing the process by which the substance known as True Adamantium is created. True Adamantium is nearly as strong as Captain America's shield, and is, for all practical purpose, indestructible. The degree of impermeability varies directly with the thickness of the Adamantium. A direct blow from Thor's hammer, conveyed with the thunder god's full strength, will slightly dent a solid cylinder of True Adamantium. A sufficient mass of Adamantium could survive a direct hit from a nuclear weapon.

Adamantium is created through the mixing of certain metals whose composition is a United States government secret. For eight minutes after the metals are mixed, the Adamantium can be molded into a particular shape as long as it is kept at a temperature of 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit. After this brief period the process of creating Adamantium is completed. The extremely stable molecular structure of the Adamantium prevents it from being molded further, even if the temperature remains high enough to keep it in liquefied form. Only a device celled a Molecular Rearranger can alter the form of hardened Adamantium.
May 21, 2003 07:41AM
First, there's not much of a debate whether or not the shield in question was an adamantium/vibranium mix - it was.

Second, I do know that somewhat recently (within the last 3-4 years?) that Cap's shield was at the bottom of the ocean. This is when he got a replica of his original shield (shield-shaped, not disc-shaped), the energy-shield built into his glove, etc.

Finally, I think the reason Wolverine can cut through things and the reason Cap can't just break anything has less to do with strength, and more to do with the function of the weapon.

Cap can surely dent the **** out of a lot of substances. But I don't think his strength is high enough to bust the stuff up, shield or no shield.

Wolverine's claw are edged weapons. It's simply a matter of getting that first little nick of whatever he's trying to cut, and then the follow-through. It's like slicing through butter with a hot knife.
Epyon
May 21, 2003 07:59AM
Sorry, I guess I'm just not convinced that just because a guy has an adamantium ice pick, he can puncture any substance short of adamantium even though he's only as strong as Joe Weightlifter. That just doesn't make logical sense. I mean, if the HULK was carrying an adamantium battle axe around, watch out. He could probably split Ultron open with a single blow. I love Wolverine as much as just about anyone, but if there really was something as hard as adamantium in the real world, there's still no way a guy who can lift about 500 lbs. can use an adamantium blade to slice through titanium steel plate.

Another question about Wolverine's claws: are they like miniature knives(i.e., they have edges AND points) or ice picks (i.e., points only). They are usually drawn like curved ice picks, but Logan is often depicted as using them like knives. Personally, I prefer them as knives--they're much more dangerous that way--but (1) they're almost never depicted as such; and (2) it defies explanation as to how you could fit them into his forearms if they are wide enough to be like knives. It drives me nuts when the artist draws them like ice picks but he uses them like knives. Just a pet peeve of mine...
May 21, 2003 08:20AM
Well, Logan is almost always drawn as having huge fat arms... ah, so to speak, so there's more room? He can cut through stuff easily because he's not actually holding the cutting tools... they're part of his arm, and part of his body, which would absorb any shock which might cause you to let go of a weapon in the same circumstances... or something.

If Hulk was using Cap's shield, then sure, he could probably cut through a lot of stuff. Cap's shield edges aren't sharp, but it is thin enough to cut through a vampire's neck...
May 21, 2003 10:54AM
Epyon there is a big differnece between cutting something and reaking something. Example cut a staek with a staek knife, the knife is weak you can bend it with your hand. Now try it with a 2lb. sledge hammer, doesn't work does it., and you can't bend the hammer its a much stonger material.

" I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. "
May 21, 2003 11:01AM
Haven't you ever seen the Ginsu comercial when the guy uses the knife to cut through the steel pipe, and he is some flabby cook, and I doubt the guy can even come close to lifting 500lbs.

" I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. "
May 21, 2003 11:16AM
The Ginsu commercials are an inappropriate comparison to the Wolvie-cut/Cap-bash argument.

Wolverine doesn't saw his opponents in half with his claws. The Ginsu guy is using the knives like a hack-saw, sawing it. Steak knives are the same way - they're serrated to saw the steak.

Let's imagine something here for a second - hypothetically speaking, if Wolverine's claws had an edge a single molecule thick, it could theoretically cut through anything, save a substance that is as strong, or stronger than itself.

With an edge that narrow, you're penetrating virtually anything, and it's just a matter of follow-through.
May 21, 2003 12:15PM
I wa trying to make the point of an edged object like a knife can cut through objects that can withstand a bashing objects blow.

Epyon
May 21, 2003 12:27PM
It's still a poor example, in my opinion, because I could come up with another example just as favorable toward Cap. For example, you couldn't cut a piece of glass with a knife, but you could easily smash it with a hammer...

In any case, my point is that Wolverine should not be able to automatically cut through any material weaker than adamantium. That defies physics.
May 21, 2003 12:53PM
glass would have a lower material strength than the hammer so that example wouldn't apply. its as simple as Cap and strong enough to break through anything, wolvies claws cut through things because of the sharpness of the blades. breaking an object and cutting an object aren't even close to being the same.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.