CL1000 and up

Posted by Kaz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Kaz
CL1000 and up
October 16, 2002 11:34AM
I was wondering what some of you thought of power and ability ranks at the CL1000 level and higher. Do ranks at these lofty levels automatically make one "special" i.e. an Entity? The reason is that I can't see how something like CL1000 Strength or CL5000 Leaping makes a character "cosmic-ish". I personally think something like ShX Reason is mind boggling but something like CL1000 Wall-crawling doesn't really impress me.
Any thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
Re: CL1000 and up
October 16, 2002 11:37AM
I think with C1000 Wall Crawling you can actualy crawl up frictionless surfaces...

Fear the Fish-Man, with C1000 Water-Breathing!!!

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Alabar
October 16, 2002 11:53AM
If you used Cl-1000 waterbreathing wouldn't the world be oceanless?!!!

I think that you have to be godlike to be a god. You have to earn being an Entity by being able to hold your own against other Entities. Otherwise they'll smack you down. Not just physically either. The guy with Cl-1000 reason can probably convince any diety that it was in their best interest not to kill him, or at least not worth their time.

Alabar
Darkhawk 76
October 16, 2002 12:31PM
I can see it now..." The amazing Brain-Man, with his CL1000 reason, while visiting Asgard convinces Odin to rub his feet and thinks Thor to death for calling him stupid."
What a game that would be.

"To each thier own."
October 16, 2002 12:52PM
Hi all,

Class rank levels. Good gods. Yes, it definately is WAY the hell over the top. It wasn't even meant to be used in the game, really, and was included more for completeness than for any other reason.

THE PHB (page 2) states the following.

Class 1000, 3000,
5000, and Beyond levels are not available
to most heroes, but are used to define such
powerful universal forces as Eternity and
Galactus.

Used to define powerful Universal forces is pretty clear cut. Too, why in the Hell would anybody but the rankest Monty Hauler want Class 1000 Wall Crawling? Eternity, the Wall Crawler! Yeah, that'll strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. Class 1000 Wall Crawling has to be the silliest thing I've seen on a character sheet. Like Dr. Archeville said: "Fear the Fish-Man, with C1000 Water-Breathing!!!" It's ridiculous.

The entire Class Rank levels are even segregated from the rest of the Action Tables chart on the back of the PHB. That too is a telling statement. The only thing I find impressive about a character with Class 1000 Wall Crawling is the utter naivetey of the person who expects it to be taken seriously. It's a shame in a way, as there were things about the character that this assinine sham power came from that did hold interest. It showed a good deal of social maturity to post a character under ones own byline (where character name and forum name are the same) that is openly gay. Then though to turn it around by making the character the most abortive laughing stock in the board's history was either the most incredibly naive thing imaginable, as it immediately negates the other aspects of the character; or it's a homophobes way of making this character ludicrous and that characters alternate lifestyle seem more acceptable to be defamed. Did you notice the "slightly" homophobic slant many of the later posts in that thread took concerning WS's homosexuality? All under the banner of humor of course, but as my wife says: "A joke is the hole that the truth whistles through."

Gerrod

If electricity comes from electrons; does that mean that morality comes from morons? G. Carlin
October 16, 2002 01:47PM
*blink blink*

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Spirit
October 16, 2002 02:28PM
Waterbreathing has no rank.

I assume we're talking about WolfSpider.

As for homophobia, maybe that's true in some cases, but every single joke made by every single person concerning Wolfie's preferences does not mean the posters were were afraid of homosexuals nor held them in contempt.
That's got to be one of the most overused phrases these days.
October 16, 2002 03:24PM
Hey, I didn't say they were, I siad that the slant was suddenly there, where fifty messages earlier in the thread that attitude was getting blasted. Take a look for yourself. It's all still there.

G

If electricity comes from electrons; does that mean that morality comes from morons? G. Carlin
Spirit
October 16, 2002 03:33PM
Nah, I believe you, and I'm sure a few are my own.

I just think applying that term makes a rather harsh value judgement on everyone who may have posted.
Still, I'm sure as you said there is truth in some of them.
DavidEMartin
I hate CL1000 and up
October 16, 2002 06:49PM
It's Jeff's mechanics and I was stuck with them but I disliked the C1000+ then and I still do. I like the original DC mechanics better, with their logarithmic increases with no inherent endpoint. Jeff's mechanics gave a definite end point to the levels at which you could still simulate the "reality" of game events.

Dr Archeville, I suspect with C1000 Wall climbing you could climb non-solids. Waterfalls, for example. Hell, you could probably climb a column of hot air!
October 16, 2002 06:56PM
>>you could probably climb a column of hot air<<

Which is obviously what our boy WS specialized in.

G

Spirit
October 16, 2002 06:57PM
That's a cool interpretation of that power at that level. I never would have thought of it.

I have no problem w/ the Cl1000+ probably because I started w/ the Advanced set.
I actually like them, but agree there's no real way to quantify them and that's how it should be at that level.

As for how you guys assigned ranks, deciding between ShZ and Cl3000, that's a mystery to me.
October 16, 2002 07:37PM
I agree Spirit. When you reach Galactus level beings alot of distinction isn't needed. And I seperate the Shift and Class rank by the level of being you are. In my world everyone from Aunt May level to Thor level have stats in the Fb to Un range and you CANNOT get a Shift level power unless you somehow transcend mortality and rech the next plateau of "being". The Shifts are for those above mortality ie a god or semi-cosmic force (in Warlock-verse both Thor and Silver Surfer are in this range with upwards of 600 Health). The Classes are for those Galactus, Eon, and Eternity level beings. They transcend life and are pure manifestations of different aspects of the universe.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
Spirit
October 16, 2002 07:40PM
And Wolf Spider.
Alabar
October 17, 2002 12:35AM
I personally didn't bother looking at the comments at Wolfspider's sexually preference. one look at the stats and I was out of there. I said it before and I'll say it again...Holy hell!!!! I just can't believe the stats. Granted I once played under a Monty GM in Marvel and shortly will post a character that you'll know was from there, but Cl-1000! I'd like to point out that some powers like certain resistances are at Cl-1000 level without having a diety wielding them. Doesn't Iron Man or War Machine have Cl-1000 ECM and sensors and resistance to radiation and...etc. Not to mention the various energy gens that are immune to the energy they wield. So there are loop holes. I wouldn't mind having Cl-1000 stealth. That'd be pretty cool. Oh! If you want easy Cl-1000 powers, take the Focus power. After adding it all up boosting to Cl-1000 is pretty easy! Feel like a power gamer now!

Alabar
Kaz
October 17, 2002 08:50AM
Cool answers all around! Nice to see Mr. Martin chime in.

Just for the record, I wasn't refering to WolfSpider when I mentioned the CL1000 Wallcrawling. Just a coincidence, or maybe a Freudian slip.

I should add something. I wasn't just refering to just Player Characters. I meant it in general and I thought of it when looking at various write-ups for characters like the Hulk and Abomination who have CL5000 Leaping.

I'm pretty close to Alabar and Spirit on this one. I'm used to CL1000 from the Advanced Set with the Invulnerability rules in it. In addition I take things a certain way when I read them. Gerrod's quote from the PHB says "most". They also say "most" on page 15. I take that to mean not all. And they are usually referring to Class Shifts (also page 15), which is something different altogether in my mind.

Its just some stuff doesn't seem to scream "Entity". Hyper-digging, Leaping, Hyper-olfactory, etc. Having any of these at CL5000 won't get you invited to Lord Chaos' New Year's Eve party. If you do show up you'd either go mad from not being able to comprehend these Abstract beings or you'll have to jump and dig all night for their amusement. :bounce:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
October 17, 2002 11:02AM
Fear the Cosmic Kanga-Gopher, with C5000 Digging AND Leaping!!!

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
October 17, 2002 12:49PM
Hi Kaz,

I've got to disagree.

Class 5000 Hyper Leaping: Power Stunt (Mega Kick: The character may substitute his power rank for his strength when utilizing a kick in combat)

Ooooops! There it goes (Glactus head), towards the uprights; it's long enough (interplanetary distance on that kick) and it's good !!! The Dolphins win, the Dolphins win, oh my God, the Dolphins win!!!

Gerrod (if any of you get that reference, you my age... you old farts!)

Spirit
October 17, 2002 02:08PM
Boot to the head, eh? Great song.

I'd never in a billion years allow Hulk to kick w/ his level of leaping.

Look at the bright side, these characters w/ high-ranked wimpy powers are worth a lot of karma to beat up.
So they do serve a greater good.
October 17, 2002 02:40PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.