New stats for Hulk and Thor
June 08, 2007 03:36PM
I brought this up in another thread, but it occurred to me that I should post it as its own topic. In my campaign, I use alternative stats for Hulk and Thor, which I think more accurately depict their powers. I know most Hulk/Thor fans will scream bloody murder, but I truly think their stats, as written up elsewhere, over-state their powers. This is all before World War Hulk and the new Thor series, so if their power sets so dictate, I will revise these stats further. One thing you should know: in my campaign, a Yellow or Green FEAT results in a -1CS on damage (thus, the Hulk, when calm, inflicts Unearthly damage only on a Red Fighting FEAT).

HULK

Fighting: REMARKABLE (30)
Agility: GOOD (10)
Strength: UNEARTHLY (100)
Endurance: UNEARTHLY (100)
Reason: REMARKABLE (30)
Intution: EXCELLENT (20)
Psyche: REMARKABLE (30)

Health: 240

Body Armor: The Hulk possesses Amazing (50) protection against physical attacks and Remarkable (30) protection against energy attacks.

Resistances: The Hulk possesses Unearthly (100) resistance to fire, disease, toxins, and radiation other than gamma radiation. Formerly, gamma radiation would cause him to revert to human form. It is unclear what effect, if any, gamma radiation has on the Hulk at this writing.

Adrenaline Surge: The Hulk gains 5 points of strength per turn as long as he in engaged in combat, or otherwise provoked by anger, stress, or exertion. There is no known limit to the Hulk's strength. If the Hulk stops fighting, his strength decreases by 5 points per turn. The Hulk's adrenaline surge does not affect his Health or his Fighting ability. At the judge's discretion, the Hulk's strength can "spike" by +1CS in a single turn if he is exposed to an event that makes him sufficiently angry (such as a threat to one of his close friends), or otherwise provokes him. Such instances are rare, and generally do not occur in normal combat situations.

Regeneration: The Hulk possesses Unearthly (100) rank regeneration and recovery. The Hulk regenerates lost Health even in the midst of combat.

Leaping: The Hulk has Class 5000 leaping ability. When leaping, the Hulk travels at Incredible air speed. He cannot change directions mid-leap.

Astral Detection: Amazing (50)

THOR

Fighting: INCREDIBLE (40)
Agility: REMARKABLE (30)
Strength: UNEARTHLY (100)
Endurance: UNEARTHLY (100)
Reason: TYPICAL (6)
Intuition: EXCELLENT (20)
Pysche: AMAZING (50)

Health: 270

Body Armor: Thor has Incredible (40) protection against physical attacks and Excellent (20) protection against energy attacks.

Resistances: Thor has Unearthly (100) resistance to fire, disease, and toxins.

Illusion Detection: Thor can detect illusions with Incredible (40) ability.

Weather Control: Thor can control weather with Incredible (40) ability even without his hammer.

Hammer: As per the normal write-up.
Re: New stats for Hulk and Thor
June 08, 2007 05:27PM
The only thing I really REALLY cry foul about is Thor's Fighting... he's a god of war and thunder who's thousands of years old. Of course he's going to be more skilled than Captain America or Batman. Unearthly Fighting is well justified for the Odinson imho.

June 08, 2007 06:54PM
Epyon, here is the version of the Hulk that I use in my campaign.

[download.yousendit.com]

I also agree with Punstarr, Thor's Fighting should be Unearthly! Now I have read some threads that say his Strength is Monstrous, but I also do not agree with those commits B!)-

The Skycutter

June 08, 2007 07:16PM
SKY, I wish all your DLs were in straight .doc format rather than .zip ;)

I am curious though why people keep giving Regeneration a rank. Based on the book, it's entirely based off your End. If you have it at a certain rank, is that just stating you use that rank as though it were your End?

June 08, 2007 07:27PM
Punstarr, regeneration is at a minimum, the characters endurance. Other wise it could have a greater rank, if rolled, then the characters endurance score. B!)-

The Skycutter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2007 07:28PM by SKYCUTTER.
June 08, 2007 07:50PM
Hrm, does it explain that in the player's handbook? I don't recall.

June 08, 2007 08:04PM
I'm actually on vacation an do not have access to any of my Marvel material at this time, Starr. B!)-

The Skycutter

June 08, 2007 11:32PM
Well Regeneration in the Player's book is rankless, as it simply changes your recovery of lost health from your Endurance Rank number every 24 hrs to every minute, which tends to end up simplified to rank number divided by ten to get how much you recover per turn, which is exponentially faster. In the UPB as we discussed before Regeneration has a rank number and that number is what you adjust the recovery rate by. So instead of one rank number of endurance every 24 hrs it's one rank number every (24hrs/Rank number).

So basically in UPB terms the player's Handbook version of Regeneration grants CL1000 Regeneration, witha rank number of 1440

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2007 11:36PM by Nightmask.
June 09, 2007 01:22AM
The character of MADCAP has ( or had ) shift Y(200) REGENERATION.
June 09, 2007 01:57AM
*nods* Shift Y Regeneration and Recovery. They Interpreted it as recovering one tenth the power rank number in health per turn, so he regained 20 health every turn and pretty much any lost endurance ranks just as fast. Some of the write-ups for Wolverine were quite complex, with different recovery rates depending on if the damage were from radiation, poison, or simple physical damage. Once he became Regeneration Man though and the comics had him regenerating at lightning speed from all damage no matter the source they consolodated it into a single recovery rate.
June 09, 2007 05:18AM
Thor hardly ever misses in combat. His fighting is better than Incredible! I say its Unearthly.
Regeneration Rank
June 09, 2007 10:23AM
I give regeneraqtion a rank because certain characters (Madcap is the guy I have in mind at the moment) have Unearthly regeneration, but their endurance is only Excellent.
Thor's fighting/Hulk's body armor
June 09, 2007 10:46AM
Actually, I HAVE seen Thor miss. Against guys like Spidey, Mongoose, etc. And the Hulk doesn't miss very often, either.

A friend of mine has pointed out that my version of the Hulk would get creamed by Iron Man right now unless he starts off with Shift X strength. I told him WW Hulk probably does start off with Shift X strength because he blames the Illuminati for the death of his wife. My friend then pointed out that IM would counter this with a Hulkbuster suit, and that in any case, Hulk and IM should be peers without the Hulk having been provoked by the death of his family. So I am considering upping the Hulk's body armor to Monstrous. Thoughts?
Re: Thor's fighting/Hulk's body armor
June 09, 2007 10:54AM
Thoughts? Ummm... I like cherry pie a lot.

::!o

Oh! You meant thoughts about your post?

Yes, I think Hulk deserves Monstrous protection, and yes, I think he's going to peel Tony out of that armor like a tin can.

As for Thor missing... how often do you see him miss when he's fighting Trolls and Giants in Asgard?

Re: Thor's fighting/Hulk's body armor
June 09, 2007 12:19PM
If you don't have the hulk with TI then yes his body armor should be Monstrous.
June 09, 2007 05:04PM
Punstarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only thing I really REALLY cry foul about is
> Thor's Fighting... he's a god of war and thunder
> who's thousands of years old.

Well, technically, Thor is neither a god of war or a god of thunder. Men never prayed to him, or any Nordic deity, for these things. He is however the foremost warrior of the Asgardians, and easily overshadows the true "war-gods", ie. victory-/glory-/death-deities, of Asgard in his fighting prowess.

Anyway, that said, I agree that Thor's fighting prowess and spirit is unrivalled in the Marvel pantheon of heroes. Giving him less underrates his inborn talent, his unrivalled experience, and the quality of his opposition.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
Re: Regeneration Rank
June 10, 2007 07:45PM
I agree about the Thor write up. In so far as I can say that Marvel kind of messed up their definition of fighting.

I mean, look at Hyperion of the Squadron Supreme. He gets UNE fighting? Why? Why does the Surfer get Amz fighting? Why does Titania get AMZ fighting?

It seems that the reason why Thor has UNE fighting is not because of his vast experience but because of his inate strength.
February 24, 2008 07:22PM
I 100% agree with you about Thor's fighting stat. Even in Norse legends, Thor has always gotten by by being the biggest and strongest, not the most skilled. I've never agreed that if Thor were at Captain America or Wolverine's strength level, he could beat them. I think they'd beat the holy heck out of him except for his godlike physical gifts.

I don't have a problem with the Hulk stats, although adding +5 as opposed to a column shift is a little harder to keep track of.
February 24, 2008 09:15PM
I think Thor’s “Fighting” Rank should be higher for the ‘New’ Stats.....

Even if Thor didn’t have his great Strength and Endurance.....

I’d say at ‘Normal’ Human Strength and Endurance levels Thor would still retain at least AM:50 Fighting..... And be capable of hanging toe to toe with top rung ‘Human’ Fighters.......

Given that Thor does have Super Strength and Endurance he gets an automatic +30 (RM) Points to his Fighting... Pushing him to MN:80 Fighting, Plus, he has experience in using his Brute Strength and Endurance..... Giving Thor his final +20 (EX) to Fighting...... Adding up to UN:100 Fighting....

‘IF’ Thor suddenly lost his Super Strength and Endurance..... His Fighting would drop to RM:30..... But in a month or two he’d be right back at AM:50 Fighting (Top Caliber Human)..... Learning how to adjust with the loss of sheer Strength and Endurance would only be minor set back for Thor......

I do like Thor’s Agility bumped up a little bit..... Not because it gives him MO POINTS..... But it’s totally logical...... Even if he has ‘Normal’ reflexes and coordination, his Brute Strength would allow him to be VERY fast and too a degree quite acrobatic......

I’m not so sure about Hulk having better ‘Reasoning’ ability over Thor..... As D. Banner, yeah..... But Thor seems to have more Brains in his head than TY:06....... Thor’s vast experience has to serve for something..... But then again, maybe Thor never really had to use his nugget.........

“Wait, mang..... How do I build a fire, dood.... Ah Fuxx-It... I’ll strike this tree with a lighting-bolt”

It just seems Thor should have greater mental capabilities, all round, than Hulk..... I mean Thor can Summon Weather and build stuff and use tools...... That has to utilize a little Brain Power....

Hell, if had UN:100 Strength and Endurance I’d be a Dumb Azz too.......

“What?!...... Math, Science, Literature?!...... Hell naw” Come over here a feel this muscle Hot Long Legged Babe..... Naw darling.... Not that muscle, the one in my pants.....

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
February 25, 2008 10:28AM
D. Banner? You mean B. Banner? ::!o

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.