New stats for Hulk and Thor

Posted by Epyon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New stats for Hulk and Thor
March 17, 2008 01:08AM
Well I've seen at least one What-If where Spider-man had extensive combat training in the martial arts (what if he'd become an entertainer instead of a crime-fighter), and I don't think it's necessary for him to have his powers neutralized in order to learn martial arts since he's more than adept at suppressing them to interact with normals. He simply hasn't to date because in most timelines he's so busy fighting crime and trying to pay the rent he hasn't time free to learn them and expand his combat education with formalized martial arts.

Thor on the other hand does routinely deal with opponents that approach or exceed his strength and endurance and he's had to deal with them for thousands of years. He's had to grow enough to to become a true Unearthly rank fighter in that time. Something to remember is that for much of his career he didn't have Mjolnir and fought with a sword and the strength of his good right arm as they say. Only when Odin deemed him worthy was he presented the hammer by his father and gained its considerable augmentation of his already formidable abilities. So Thor didn't have that overwhelming might to start and didn't have it as a crutch in his earlier battles.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 17, 2008 03:57PM
I just thought I'd clarify what is meant by innate aptitude as, I think it was Tanker who made a comment regarding one "learning" innate aptitude.

Innate aptitude is not learned. It is present from the get go... part of the person, and not something a person can acquire. No amount of training or education or experience or performance enhancers will ever turn a mediocre or even above average person into a Mozart or an Einstein or an Ali, because the innate aptitude of such people for their particular calling is simply head and toe above the rest.

So, in a way, the Fighting score is like the Reason score, and determines the degree of success a person will enjoy in a particular field.

A warrior deity like Thor is naturally going to have an inherent understanding of combat, which would enable him to be a impressive fighter without ANY training or experience, and which would also enable him to pick up, master and improve upon learned techniques that much easier.

Other people with a low aptitude might, with time and dedication, be able to pick up all of the skills that a person with a high aptitude could, but it is going to be a long painful process and at the end of it all such a person is still probably going to get beat up by bums on the street.

Eg. A person with Feeble Figthing is still a sorry excuse for a fighter even if they've somehow managed to acquire every martial talent the game has to offer. Train them from now till Doomsday, no matter. It's like trying to change one's genetics. A person has what they have.

The Feeble fighter with every martial talent will be better than another Feeble Fighter without any martial talents, but fancy techniques aside, they will never be as good as someone with an Excellent aptitude for fighting that has never received any formal training. They simply lack that fundamental, "non-acquireable" quality.

As for Cap and Marvel canon; he is one of the preeminent HTH combatants of the MU, but it is canon that the only techniques he has "mastered" are boxing and judo and he is not a consumate martial artist a la Batman. It is his superhuman athleticism (and a bit of training) that enables him to compete with guys like Batman.

Is Cap better than Thor or Herc? All else being equal? I highly doubt it.

Is Cap worthy of having a fighting score of Amazing? Hell no, IMO. He clearly had NO physical aptitude of any kind prior to the super-soldier serum -- if he had any, it would have shown itself off and he wouldn't have been rejected for military service... during WARTIME -- and all of the super-steroids in the world aren't going to change that to any significant degree... maybe a column shift... ir two if one is feeling generous. I would say that the only reason he has that in the game is because of thoughtless presumption, ie. Cap is max human in all physical areas and Fighting is listed as a physical attribute, therfore Cap must have max. human Figthing.

But even moreso, is Cap worthy of possessing ALL of the martial arts talents? Well, does boxing and judo encompass all of the martial talents? No, it doesn't. And no, he isn't.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
March 17, 2008 04:33PM
In WWII Cap was boxing and Judo trained, but he's been battling and undergoing combat-training and practice with a wide range of martial artists since then. It's unrealistic to think he hasn't expanded on his training in combat techniques since his thawing and developed more along the lines of Batman since both are dedicated to the point of fanaticism to learning and becoming better and as flexible as is possible to be able to save the day. The SS-Serum remade Cap from the ground up and no reason to believe that it could max his strength, endurance, and agility (which is actually 4 times that of any olympic athlete that ever competed) yet for some reason not max his fighting potential out as well.

It's also ironic that there's so much fighting to say 'Cap's the better fighter/no Thor is' when both are consistently shown respecting each other's capabilities with Thor considering Cap as noble and worthy as any God and neither showing any attempt to determine or even care who's better.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

March 17, 2008 07:53PM
I'd agree that it's somewhat ironic, Nightmask. But do you want to know what is even more ironic? That fact that as far as comic characters go, I prefer Cap to Thor.

Anyway, the reason why the SS Serum could amp Cap's ASE but not his F, is because the ASE attributes are purely physical in nature, while the Figthing rank is more cerebral and intuitive; ultimately having more in common with the RIP attributes. There is no reason to think that increased ASE -- be the source simple physical training, and/or the use of steroids, and/or the use of "super-steroids" -- could do anything other than help one *maximize* one's innate martial aptitude, but that aptitude has to exist to begin with.

As for Cap picking things up as he went along; fair enough, but in all honestly the same could be said of ANY hero that has existed within a group setting for any amount of time. However, you simply can't compare **3 months** of boxing and judo, along with a thing or two being picke dup everyt now and then, as time permits, with the type of focused devotion that defines such consumate martial artists as Batman.... who spent *years* mastering HTH combat long before ever doning the Bat-suit and engaging in the time consuming career of crime fighter. Moreover, Bruce Wayne was never a gimp and clearly had that kinesthetic intelligence that Steve Rogers seemingly lacked.

This is not to say that I think that Batman is a more formidable HTH combatant than Cap... only that the reason why Cap is so formidable is different than Bat's. With Cap the accent is more on athleticism than martial skill, and this enables him to compete against elite level fighters. With Batman the accent is more on martial skill than athletics, and this enables him to compete against superior athletes.

I mean, in all honesty, IF Cap was BOTH the consumate athlete and the consumate martial artist he would clean the floor with Batman, but I'm sure that most will acknowledge that there is no way Cap could ever walk all over Batman.

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

March 17, 2008 08:03PM
I take your point, but I'm not sure that Cap's innate Fighting was so low, simply because his physical abilities were. He might have been an Ali, a Bruce Lee, but trapped in the body of an Arnold Horshack that no amount of training and dedication could improve. It could be that he always had a high F stat, and that the SS serum simply brought his physical capabilities up to match his already great innate fighting capabilities.

You also have to admire his grit, to volunteer for an experiment that might kill him rather than accept his unsuitability to volunteer as a soldier (his original intent).
March 17, 2008 08:30PM
I'd certainly be willing to concede that civet5285.

While physical compotence and physical aptitude do tend to walk hand-in-hand, ie. a naturally high physical aptitude will naturally lead to the developement of a certain degree of physical competence, I can also imagine some scenarios in which this might not be the case.... such as suffering from an illness or disease, or being physically disabled as the result of some accident, or being physical and mentally neglected/abused.

Take a chronic asthematic for instance. Remove that affliction and who knows what kind of physical and martial competence might emerge!

March 17, 2008 11:30PM
I get Power’s Point now.....

Cap’n started at PR:04 or TY:06 “Fighting”....... Add all the other stuff and Cap’n gained AM:50 Fighting....

Where as Bat-Man probably started at GD:10 or EX:20 Fighting..... “THEN” he went to Ninja School....

Then you have a God-Guy such as Thor, who probably had EX:20 to RM:30 Fighting.... And all he did was push a Farm Plow at that point in his life....

Many people are probably going to ask; What’s the relevance of the whole debate??.........

It’s how the Character will retain their “Fighting” Rank during critical loss and failure.....

But now I’m curious.... When it comes to ‘Human’ Characters who had better Innate Aptitude???....

Punisher OR Bat-Man....

Frank Castle’s original stats were:

F: AM:50
A: EX:20
S: GD:10
E: EX:20
R: EX:20
I: IN:40
P: IN:40

He is all changed now, reflecting better Agility to easily handle ‘Guns’ on the result table...

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2008 11:30PM by TankerAce.
March 17, 2008 11:30PM
I think that's really the idea with Captain America; that he had the potential but his body was too weak to realize it until the experiment allowed him to raise his body up to the point where he could make use of his total potential. Thor on the other hand started with a body capable of realizing his full potential and went from there. Something I'd have to question is whether or not Amazing Fighting would be max human potential and whether or not a human with relative immortality or the longevity to live as long as someone like Thor could reach Monstrous or Unearthly Fighting and the current cap merely a result of the idea that a human couldn't otherwise live long enough to realize that level of Fighting.

It does leave the question as to what-if Steve Rogers hadn't received the SS-Serum, would he have gone on as a normal human to become some great contributor on the sidelines, a secret savior who used his dedication and brains to help defeat the nazis or would he have failed and been left a nothing instead?

-- Peter David

March 17, 2008 11:36PM
However there's been plenty of examples of Cap recognizing a variety of martial arts forms and having martial arts trained opponents complimenting (or cursing) his level of training, which places his skill well beyond that of just boxing and judo. I can remember more than a few times where he's been training with someone or teaching someone combat and it wasn't boxing or judo that was going on. Since we can't be certain of how the time scale goes for him between issues other than roughly one can't say he's simply picking up a few things here or there but instead picking up as much as he can in those off-screen (and sometimes on-screen) opportunities to train.

-- Peter David

March 18, 2008 04:13AM
I think ‘PEAK’ Human Fighting going beyond AM:50 seems a little too aggressive without a ‘Power’ or enhanced [ASERIP]..... Or a really impressive collection of Talents....

Even if Humans had an estimated life span of say 5000 to 10,000 years...... I just can’t really envision the default Human Body being able to execute greater than AM:50 Fighting without a weapon of some sort.

We only have 2 arms, and 2 legs, and 5 senses, and they don’t really reach too far, and with human frailness a human could make “Fighting” contact on higher Ranks..... But it would have no sheer power behind it, thus it’s useless for a ‘FIGHT’

At AM:50 Fighting I can sort of envision a ‘Normal’ Human having the ability to brawl with an 8 Foot Grizzly Bear, or possibly K.O. a 2000 pound Raging Bull... With only the bare hands (or feet)....

So RM:30 to IN:40 Fighting is a good measure for ‘Dealing’ with creatures beyond human speed and strength...... This would be the ‘Professional’..... Such as a Pro Fighter, Rodeo performer, or Bizarre Dojo...

With MN:75 Fighting the Grizzly Bear or Bull would get dropped or slammed in a ‘Fierce’ Fight...... And a precision power move can dent or crack ‘Tank’ Armor...... With a ‘Normal’ skeleton...

At UN:100 Fighting a ‘Grapple’ or ‘Strike’ would be so precise the Bear or Bull would have tweedy birds flying around the head....

March 18, 2008 06:55AM
I think where you come down on a human achieving greater than Am F depends again on how you see F. If the F stat is the amalgam of the physical and mental, then it would seem a human being would be limited to Am no matter how long he lived as long as his physical and mental abilities were so limited.

If you think it's a skill, more than an innate talent, than there would be no reason a person couldn't develop it with enough time to cultivate it.
March 18, 2008 07:31AM
Not exactly, Tanker.

Th point in my comparison between Cap and Bats was that Cap's superior athleticism, his superior strength and stamina and coordination, make up for a *relative* lack of aptitude and technical know how and allow him to compete at an elite level. We see this in Mixed Martial Arts competition where a far less experienced and/or well trained fighter is nevertheless able to hang with honed veterans by simple virtue of their superior athleticism. In game terms, this is reflected (however poorly) in what Cap's superior ASE stats offer him in terms of health, stamina, resistence to stuns and slams, striking and blocking power, and dodging ability.

As for what Figthing rank eack began with; well, it is my opinion that each began with the potential that each ultimately ended up with. Thor for instance has always had Unearthly Fighting, and Batman has always had Amazing Fighting. Both may or may not have had to grow into it to some degree, but from the point of maturity onward they had the Fighting rank they were *born* to have. Even in the case of Cap, it can be argued that he always had an Amazing Figthing rank (if that is what one choses to cleave to), but that certain genetic defects (that would be corrected by the SS Serum) hampered the manifestation of his full potential by X number of Column Shifts.

This is based on my other opinion that the Fighting attribute is akin to the Reason attribute. It is what one carries with one into any discipline and it defines the upper limits of excellence that one can hope to achieve within any given discipline.

The "discipline" does of course offer something in and of itself, as reflected in the bonuses and perks a given Talent affords within the game, but the mere possession of that talent cannot be taken as a sure sign of excellence. Within any group of PhD's we will find some that barely made it, the rank and file "Dr.Joes" of the club, and then various levels of genius, even as the actual combat worthiness of various people who hold black belts within a common martial art will be found to vary from just-barely-good-enough to average to various degrees of genius.

I suppose you could think of any given martial art as being an engine, while innate aptitude is the fuel. Now, the engine is what it is, but within that context, how well it performs will be determined by the quality of the fuel put into it.

March 18, 2008 08:27AM
Powersurge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just thought I'd clarify what is meant by innate
> aptitude as, I think it was Tanker who made a
> comment regarding one "learning" innate aptitude.
>
> Innate aptitude is not learned. It is present from
> the get go... part of the person, and not
> something a person can acquire. No amount of
> training or education or experience or performance
> enhancers will ever turn a mediocre or even above
> average person into a Mozart or an Einstein or an
> Ali, because the innate aptitude of such people
> for their particular calling is simply head and
> toe above the rest.
>
> So, in a way, the Fighting score is like the
> Reason score, and determines the degree of success
> a person will enjoy in a particular field.
>
> A warrior deity like Thor is naturally going to
> have an inherent understanding of combat, which
> would enable him to be a impressive fighter
> without ANY training or experience, and which
> would also enable him to pick up, master and
> improve upon learned techniques that much easier.
>
>
> Other people with a low aptitude might, with time
> and dedication, be able to pick up all of the
> skills that a person with a high aptitude could,
> but it is going to be a long painful process and
> at the end of it all such a person is still
> probably going to get beat up by bums on the
> street.
>
> Eg. A person with Feeble Figthing is still a sorry
> excuse for a fighter even if they've somehow
> managed to acquire every martial talent the game
> has to offer. Train them from now till Doomsday,
> no matter. It's like trying to change one's
> genetics. A person has what they have.
>
> The Feeble fighter with every martial talent will
> be better than another Feeble Fighter without any
> martial talents, but fancy techniques aside, they
> will never be as good as someone with an Excellent
> aptitude for fighting that has never received any
> formal training. They simply lack that
> fundamental, "non-acquireable" quality.
>
> As for Cap and Marvel canon; he is one of the
> preeminent HTH combatants of the MU, but it is
> canon that the only techniques he has "mastered"
> are boxing and judo and he is not a consumate
> martial artist a la Batman. It is his superhuman
> athleticism (and a bit of training) that enables
> him to compete with guys like Batman.
>
> Is Cap better than Thor or Herc? All else being
> equal? I highly doubt it.
>
> Is Cap worthy of having a fighting score of
> Amazing? Hell no, IMO. He clearly had NO physical
> aptitude of any kind prior to the super-soldier
> serum -- if he had any, it would have shown itself
> off and he wouldn't have been rejected for
> military service... during WARTIME -- and all of
> the super-steroids in the world aren't going to
> change that to any significant degree... maybe a
> column shift... ir two if one is feeling generous.
> I would say that the only reason he has that in
> the game is because of thoughtless presumption,
> ie. Cap is max human in all physical areas and
> Fighting is listed as a physical attribute,
> therfore Cap must have max. human Figthing.
>
> But even moreso, is Cap worthy of possessing ALL
> of the martial arts talents? Well, does boxing and
> judo encompass all of the martial talents? No, it
> doesn't. And no, he isn't.

As for it not being canon and the limitations on Captain America's fighting skills..as of the last release of The Hardcover Marvel Encyclopedia and the last Avengers OHOTMU, both of which have added fighting ability as one of the categorized index scores, Cap is listed as a 7 (which is defined as MASTER OF ALL KNOWN FORMS OF COMBAT) whle Thor is listed as a 4 (defined as EXPERIENCED FIGHTER). These both being Marvel publications this would then establish these stats as CANON...on top of the immense number of interviews that have been presented throughout the comics world in which writers have defined Cap as the ultimate fighting machine (and in those interviews I have never seen one specify him as the ultimate HUMAN fighting machine, the ultimate human speciman maybe, but as for fighting skill, he is described as the best). Also, yes, the original Handbooks give a meager description to his training, but theygive a handicapped description to many characters that were active at the time, they are a good starting reference point but ultimately the stories (and Marvel Staff) dipicted a different story and thus comes the revised stats. The MU is an evolving entity and stats and histories will change as stories and further info is presented. The game world should reflect these changes as they are presented or fixed.

Also, innate ability does not "trump" learned skills and techniques. Innate ability simply infers that one was born with an apptitude and predisposition towards a certain behavior or skill and gives the individual an initial advantage in a select area, but it is entirely possible thru intense training or schooling for someone with no initial skill to surpass and dwarf the skills of someone who started with that innate skill. Children can be born as musical prodigies with an innate understanding of music and able to play the piano with virtually no formal training yet this does not make them the best piano players in the world by default and in fact there are many superior players that initially started with no understanding of the subject or the instrument but thru diligence and hard work have far surpassed those that were born with thier innate talents. I myself was born with an innate talent for art and at an early age was already drawing very lifelike pictures of people and objects, it is a skill I am proud of, but am I arrogant enough to say that I am better than others because I was born with that skill while others may have had to work a little harder to acquire it...no way. Not every one will have the tendency to become artists, obviously, but some people simply wake up and can do it while others had to hone their skills, but this innate skill of some does not put a ceiling on the ability of others.
March 18, 2008 09:24AM
Frank Castle is an Incredible Fighting at best imho. The military doesn't teach you -that- well.

March 18, 2008 02:26PM
Yeah... I’d say Frank is pretty ‘Solid’ at IN:40 Fighting... but he can achieve the following...

IN:40 Fighting + Talents = AM:50 FEAT rolls.... For Gunnery “Combat”

OR

RM:30 Agility + Talents + Weapon = AM:50 FEAT rolls.... For Gunnery “Combat”

I just remember seeing Frank once had AM:50 “Fighting” on an old stat page... This may have been the concept the author wanted to get across.......

The Fighting Rank serves your Character for more than simple close quarters / hand to hand stuff....

Anyway, this thread defiantly illustrates how complex and versatile the “Fighting” Rank is....

March 18, 2008 02:42PM
innate ability does not "trump" learned skills and techniques

Well, perhaps you're reading a little more into my assertion than was intended, but the best of the best that history has to offer in any particular field are NOT people who simply studied hard. They are people who had innate ability.

Likewise, there are plenty of people who possess black belts in some martial art or another who simply aren't all that formidable in HTH combat and have lost to people with NO formal training, just innate ability.

So how would you prefer I phrase it? A rose being a rose by any other name.

March 18, 2008 03:58PM
I think the official stats for Punisher were ranked at Amazing Fighting but that might be a result of some favoritism since every character suffers both good and bad results from the viewpoint of the person doing the write-up (just look how underpowered Molecule Man's powers are written up everywhere except in the Secret Wars II module). Plus as some have pointed out they might have been forgetting to consider his talents when making that determination and set his Fighting rank at what they saw and tacked his talents on on top of that, effectively double-dipping.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.