True Beyonders vs. Living Tribunal

Posted by Emperor Doom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: True Beyonders vs. Living Tribunal
January 29, 2003 06:37PM
Isn't that almost what Dazzler had to deal with when the Beyonder (before we really found out what he was) had a desire for her? :)
January 29, 2003 07:43PM
In SECRET WARS II, the Beyonder travels to a planet where the Celestials call located. They all stand around in various locations, towering above the spires of the city that they are in.
The Beyonder wants to fight them. They do not reply nor move. The Beyonder then threatens to destroy the universe if they do not fight him.
They still do nothing.

The Beyonder then concludes that the reason the Celestials did nothing is because they knew that he was bluffing. So, The Beyonder then made the "I'll destroy the universe" threat, and this time, he did mean it. He was actually summoning his power to do so.

Suddenly the 9 or 12 or however many Celestials there are jumped him, all at the same time.
Why? Because they acknowledged that The Beyonder had to power to do what he had threatened to carry out.

The Beyonder is left standing as all of the Celestials lay about the city and country side , all of them knocked out.

SDI
Kaz
January 30, 2003 02:42AM
Yeah, but later on they rationalized that away with "the Celestials wanted to study this creature and threw the fight on purpose". I'm not kidding. It was part of the rationalization that included how the Beyonder was able to trap and hold Galactus and how he "killed" Death. Reed Richards had to convince him to bring Death back, but Death was just "faking it" too. For a character that really caught my eye when I was 7 or 8 years old, he really turned out to be a joke, a joke that isn't even funny.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
January 30, 2003 03:08AM
I find overall the whole Beyonder mess to be a joke. Secret Wars I is full of holes the size the mountain that the Hulk supposedly lifted. I mean they HAD to go back and say "Just Kidding" otherwise they upset the whole mythos of who's really who in the Marvel universe.

Death died? Puh-leez. That happens and the whole universe goes with her, just like Eternity. Different sides, same coin and all that.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
January 30, 2003 06:08AM
Death was defeated/destroyed at the end of Universe X. PAradise X has been dealing with the repurcussions, which include Reed Richards digging up Jude the Entropic Man...

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
January 30, 2003 07:29AM
Was Jim Shooter still calling the editorial shots when they came up with the Beyonder revision?

SDI

PS: Kaz, I know. I do not accept it. Now, in my universe, I have not introduced the Beyonder yet. Technically, by universe's time-line diverges from the Marvel "prime" time-line in 1990. To keep events and histories anchored so that I can draw upon them for further stories, or turn loose ends into campaigns.
I don't know if the Beyonder revision happed before or after 1990 in the comics. Regardless, Beyonder is hanging out back where he belongs. I really don't see me introducing him to my game . . .ever.
Kaz
January 30, 2003 09:05AM
Well if you do introduce him, please change his wardrobe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
January 30, 2003 09:23AM
Kaz,

LOL. If we were playing "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", I would award you 1,000 Karma.

SDI
January 30, 2003 10:32AM
Warlock never ran a campaign with that uber a character. The most Uber character in our game world was actually his. He once killed an ENTIRE ARMY of lepricauns with ONE SPELL. Long long ago the balance seeking Warlock we all know and love was a MUNCHKIN! Yes, he hates to admit it and it brings him to the verge of tears to remember the horrors he inflicted upon the gaming world. At least the painful screaming nightmares he experiences are balanceed by the new understanding he has of the gaming world.

:P

Jesus Saves! The rest of you take damage.
January 30, 2003 04:42PM
Tormain,

What are you talking about?

I was King Munchkin. With my Staff of The Magi and a Encyclopedic knowledge of 2nd Ed. D&D and every spell within it's pages I was a captain id to the extreme. Now I have grown wiser (or maybe just older) and realize that most of the time I had the game of a lifetime while everyone else went along for the ride.

Plus you had to admit I had a fairly easy push over for a DM. ;)

DG X(

Marvel > DC
January 31, 2003 02:31AM
>Well if you do introduce him, please change his wardrobe.

Great, the Beyonder has finally got one FEEBLE ranked talent at last! "Fashion sense".

No, stop laughing, I mean it. :)
January 31, 2003 04:45AM
Perhaps Warlock, but that was because if I put my foot down certain members of the gaming group who may or may not be our brother would have quit in a huff of "That's not fairness"

January 31, 2003 05:55AM
Ahhhh..... the good old days. When an Uber-mage, his indestructable Staff of Magi made of a giant cow bone and his trusted paladin companion could kill two Adult Red Dragons in one round. :lol:

Serafita,

are you kidding? The jacket with the collar standing and the sleeves rolled up is still in fashion. Just ask Phillip Michael Thomas or Don Johnson. Add to that the no shirt and all he needed to complete the ensemble was a gold chain and chest hair.

Ever noticed how chest hair isn't very prevalent in comics for some reason. Wonder why? Nor hairy backs. ;)

DG X(

Marvel > DC
January 31, 2003 07:13AM
It's only cool on feral guys with claws. It makes everybody else look dirty. Besides, If all you wear is spandex do YOU want the odd lumpies from chest hair making you look bad? Cmon it's hard enough to get a cool heroic pose without having to deal with that kinda thing.

January 31, 2003 02:33PM
[www.marveldirectory.com]

You have GOT to be kidding. This cannot be in fashion! Ever! :lol:
January 31, 2003 05:07PM
Oh come on that doesn't get you all hot and bothered?

Just bothered then?

:lol:

DG X(

Marvel > DC
January 31, 2003 05:43PM
Mmm... those lapels. He should go to Smallville, shoot the breeze with Clark and Lex.

Are those shoulder pads? Or is that pure, unadulterated, Beyonder meat?

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
January 31, 2003 06:26PM
The Living Tribinual was never meant to be "all powerful" either. back in the 1970's he seemed like just-another-cosmic being (were all of marvel's writer's on drugs or waht?). There was no evidence he was the most powerful being in the multiverse.

What happened, or so I am told because I hated the Infinity comics and 90's comics in general, was that marvel was ina huge stumbling block on how to fix things. so they made the LT suddenly all powerful because Death and Eternity had proven so ordinary over the years.

Remember in the West coast avengers/Avengers crossover where the Avengers all die and fight each other in the death dimension. The Grandmaster managed to "entrap death". How the heck could the grandmaster do this? what did he do, hit him with a shift-X energy bolt against class 5000 TI? I wish this had been explained.

Basicly, the MU writers have always, empowered and depowered anyone they wanted and threw consistency out the window. Chances are, one day LT will be depowered again or someone new will overshadow him.

Someday there will be no racism.
Thats the day aliens will attack.
Then we will all hate green people.
January 31, 2003 07:16PM
Yes, one day the Living Tribunal shall fall... and MADCAP shall take his place!!!!

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
January 31, 2003 09:17PM
Warlock: Just bothered, thank you. :)
I suppose the only 'cool' version I saw of the Beyonder was in a FF issue... Doom (in someone else's body) summons Beyonder, who's quite miffed, starts choking him, Reed stops him, Beyonder phases Reed through a solid container...

Yeah. That was probably the only time I thought he was cool, even with those clothes.
:lol:

Dr Archeville: When the Living Tribunal falls, don't you mean WOLFSPIDER (or whatever that character was called) will be summoned to replace LT's role in the multiverse? :lol:

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.