"Ranged" Stats

Posted by civet5285 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"Ranged" Stats
March 16, 2008 09:29PM
Do any of you try to determine stat values of your characters that occur within the range of a rank, rather than the default (median) value?

As an example:

In Strength, assuming the earlier values for Wolverine, I would think he'd be a Good (15) or so, whereas Iron Fist would be a Good (11), Daredevil a Good (13), Elektra a Good (8), and so on.

Or do you just assume the median default rank values of Good(10) for everyone with Good Strength?

I'm curious as to how often the advanced stat ranges are actually used by players. It seems many debates that occur might allow for compromises by assigning stat values within the range of a rank.
Re: "Ranged" Stats
March 16, 2008 10:00PM
Not sure but I think I mentioned this in a very recent post. For me I definitely differentiate between what a hero with Good (8) Strength, and one with Good (12) Strength can lift. The same can be said for any other stat or power rank. While it is not my standard mode of operation to use varied rank numbers, there are times when building a hero that I find it appropriate to his or her capabilities. That being said, there are some Judges who will require each new character to start at the lowest possible starting rank number in every power and stat. This is not my policy but I do recognize the occasional need for variation.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
March 16, 2008 11:20PM
I really haven't. I would like to, but the others that I play with wish to keep it simple by using the default. As I've made the point in my other posts regarding the strength ratings for different characters, I am an extreme stickler for variance amongst characters to match very closely the differences in the books so everything is not so generic feeling. I would love if the others that I game with were more or less comic book "purists" such as myself.
March 17, 2008 11:49AM
When the Rank numbers are so Close it’s pretty much the same “Level”… This is also why my Game Table uses this expanded Universal Table.

It simply goes by increments of ‘5’ rather than ‘10’…. When you think about FEAT rolls; the guy with EX:17 -=VS=- another guy with EX:23 the ability levels are too close for a definitive and automatic Success or Failure ratio…… Especially when the two are going head to head….

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
March 17, 2008 05:36PM
I make occasional use of variances within listed ranges for the ranks, most often in regards to Strength, to help denote differing lifting capacities between folks who technically fall into the same general rank category in the MSH game. I believe there's a difference between folks who can lift 1 ton, and folks who can lift 2, but that 2 tons isn't necessarily Incredible rank Strength...

I occasionally make use of it elsewhere, a notable example from our tabletop game being that Captain America is rated with Remarkable (35) Endurance, as opposed to the standard 30 rank number, helping to reflect that Cap really is among the true pinnacle of human capability...

Quack, damn you...

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.