Quicksilver from handbook

Posted by Serafita 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Quicksilver from handbook
February 03, 2003 01:28AM
Auntie P's version...

Pietro Maximoff

Fighting: Excellent
Agility: Unearthly
Strength: Good
Endurance: Remarkable
Reason: Excellent
Intuition: Typical
Psyche: Typical

From the official handbook...

<i>Strength level:
Quicksilver possesses superhuman strength primarily in his lower body as part of his body's adaptations for running. With his upper body, he can lift (press) approximately 1000 pounds. He can leg press approximately 1 ton under optimal conditions.</i>

Considering he's a little stronger than Captain America... maybe a slight revision could be in order?

But then, to be fair, he's lost the Isotope E power-up, if I recall, so... your call. :)

Another extract...

<i>His entire body is oriented towards the rigors of high-speed running. His carduivascular and respiratory systems are many times more efficient than human.</i>

Perhaps his Endurance increases (no health gain) during running and returns back to normal when he stops? Though he still retains his four-hour limit before he has to reduce speed or replenish energy?
Re: Quicksilver from handbook
February 03, 2003 01:29AM
Ah, blast. <i> tags don't work. Hehe.
February 03, 2003 02:32AM
They do you just have to use [ instead of <. like this

DG X(

Marvel > DC
February 03, 2003 02:37AM
As far as strength goes I think its a judgement call. I'd make him on par with Cap from what I've seen.

Endurance is trickier. Endurance is the main stat for charging so giving him a higher Endurance could allow him to bowl over opponents much larger than himself. Which would make sense considering he runs at just over Mach 1. But it would also stop him from being knocked over just as much and that doesn't make sense.

I think the jump up to say Monstrous while running makes alot of sense. No Health increase but a little more oomph when traveling faster than the speed of sound.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
February 03, 2003 06:39AM
From the UPB:

"T10/Hyper-Running: The hero can run at power rank speed for extended amounts of time. The power has the side effect of raising the Ability rank number of Endurance by this powers rank number."

There are two possible interpretations for this fairly simple description. The first is permanent - that is, a character who rolls Ex Endurance and Rm Hyper-Running has his Endurance permanently raised to Am. The second is temporary - a character with Ex Endurance and Rm Hyper-Running stays at Ex Endurance, but can run at full speed for 50 rounds instead of 20.

I use the second interpretation.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
Kaz
February 03, 2003 07:58AM
The funny thing is that lifting 1000 pounds with the "upper body" is superhuman, while leg pressing 2000 pounds is not.

I think he could use a slight stat boost but the reasons that are mentioned could result in a lot of rewrites for existing characters, if you wanted to be fair. Any character that has superhuman Strength should have some degree of Body Armor/Physical Resistance/etc. because without it they would break themselves whenever they used it. Anyone who could deliver a Charge Attack at mach 1 and survive also needs something to reduce damage to himself. It could become a Pandora's Box.

Considering how long it's been since his MSHRPG stats were written you don't need any other justification for a rewrite. I don't follow him that closely, but I'm sure something has happened to Pietro in the last 10 or 15 years that would warrant mentioning in a MSHRPG write-up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
February 03, 2003 09:09AM
*flips through handbook*

Quicksilver's strength is covered by his bones. Heh.

--
His joints are smoother and lubricated more efficiently. His tendons have the tensile strength of spring steel. His bones contain unknown materias significantly more durable than calcium to withstand the dynamic shocks of his feet touching the ground at speeds of over 100 miles per hour.
--

Still, the book didn't exactly mention if Quicksilver's strength is under optimal conditions... and the part which says "possesses superhuman strength primarily in his lower body as part of his body's adaptation etc etc"... that covers 'superhuman' strength for his legs. But... since most heroes tend to lift with their hands and not with legs, it's probably best to have his strength at Excellent and not Remarkable. :)

I'll copy what the explanation of the handbook says and see if it explains anything...

--
Quicksilver possesses the superhuman capacity to run at great speeds. His entire body is oriented towards the rigors of high-speed running. His cardiovascular and respirator systems are many times more efficient than human. He metabolizes an estimated 95% of the caloric energy content of foodstuffs (normal human use is about 25%).
--

Come to think of it, it's a little long-winded in the explaining of how his chemical processes is highly enhanced that his body doesn't generate fatigue poisons, but rather, his body constantly expels wastes products during his accelerated respiration through exhalation... in other words, he... pants faster than a dog? :)

It hasn't mentioned a charge attack as a feat which he's tried using superspeed before in the handbook, so probably suggest it as a power stunt with appropriate yellow or red feats, and damage to self?

btw, looking at a X-Men comic, Rogue is seen CATCHING bullets and throwing them back at a person using a machine gun... whilst talking. *isn't quite sure what to make of that*

:lol: :rocket:
February 03, 2003 09:48AM
Ummm... is that on her own, or after she'd absorbed some speedster's power?

She does have a limited "Seventh Sense" from Ms. Marvel, which never seems to come up much in the comics, so maybe that is how she was able to react fast enough to catch them (and her strength and body resistance is what lets her be able to stop/hold them)....

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 03, 2003 10:02AM
Or it could just be shoddy writing, which crops up frequently with reference to Rogue's powers (She's supersonic, she's not, she has a Seventh Sense, she doesn't, her control problems are psychological, they aren't, she's invulnerable, she isn't).

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
Kaz
February 03, 2003 12:02PM
[snip] His tendons have the tensile strength of spring steel. His bones contain unknown materias significantly more durable than calcium to withstand the dynamic shocks of his feet touching the ground at speeds of over 100 miles per hour. [/snip]

Ya' see. Thats the kind of stuff that will cause trouble. It's a can of worms none of us want opened. Quicksilver should have at the least an increased resistance to Grappling damage if his tendons have the tensile strength of spring steel. "...significantly more durable than calcium..." is all the justifiction you need to give him some kind of Body Armor.

I actually hate it when the companies put out psuedo-scientific answers explaining powers. It doesn't add to the allure of the character and it only opens them up to more criticism. How many comic book professionals are qualified and capable enough to posit such things and defend them well? I thought it was neat when I was a kid, but now I think they make themselves look bad. Don't exlpain to me how Superman can fly at the speed of light, or faster for gawd's sakes. Whatever the explanation, it will be B.S. I accept his crazy powers from the get-go. I don't need a logical rationalization complete with footnotes to convince me that the human looking alien wearing red and blue footie pajamas can fly fast enough to go back in time. I accepted it before I even picked up the book. The erroneous and abusive interpretation of Einstein and Heisenberg didn't help the cause, it only hurt it.

I've been feeling confrontational lately. I think I'll go for a drive and pick a fight. Wish me luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
February 03, 2003 03:01PM
Remember, if you kill someone, you lose all karma! So, uh, don't. :lol:
February 03, 2003 03:03PM
But if you only bring 'em down to 0 Health, then stabilize 'em so they don't lose Endurance ranks, you'll be fine Karma-wise! :lol:

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 03, 2003 04:34PM
Not in my world. If you actually try and kill someone it's just as bad.

And as far as charging goes I don't think he'd necessarily need BA as hitting someone does alot less damage than being hit. Like when i played football, the best way to make sure you didn't get your bell rung was to hit the other person herder than he hit you. It's like headbutting someone, it hurts alot more to be headbutted than it does to actually do it. It's still two heads colliding at high speed. Throw that into the comic book world of physics and think you don't need to explain it away with BA.

Just like you don't have to now how Superman flies fast you don't need to know wxactly why Quicksilver doesn't get hurt when ramming somone at over 100 miles per hour.

It's Magic :lol:

DG X(

Marvel > DC
February 03, 2003 05:04PM
But... but... if it's magic, then that's covered using Quicksilver's Psyche and the fact that he has no magic trainer... well, probably his sister will teach him for free, thus, no resource is required, so... *gibber gibber*
February 03, 2003 08:22PM
Magic?!?.....True Invulnerability?!?!......Scarlet Witch's Hex Bolts?!?.....eerrrggkk! *brain explodes*

I hate it when that happens.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
Kaz
February 03, 2003 10:48PM
Why didn't I see it before? Quicksilver has magic T.I., probably from standing too close to the Beyonder.

I understand the football analogy, but essentially Quickie is a normal sized guy that gets hurt from normal things, like getting punched in the face by Aunt May, and yet he can run head first into a foot thick granite wall at 700 miles per hour and be relatively OK. I just look the other way. The best explanation is the last one you mentioned: It's Magic :lol:

February 04, 2003 12:17AM
Meh. No wonder. Quicksilver has TYPICAL psyche! How... human. :)

Quicksilver: NOOO! I refuse to be labelled as one of those 'humans'!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.