Stats for DC 'cosmic beings'?

Posted by Serafita 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Stats for DC 'cosmic beings'?
February 07, 2003 05:40AM
Has anyone ever tried creating stats for all members of the Endless, from DC Comics' Vertigo line?

Or even their version of Lucifer? I'd like to see how they compare to Marvel's cosmic entities... hehe.
Re: Stats for DC 'cosmic beings'?
February 07, 2003 06:24AM
I tried doing the Endless once. There's only so many times you can give someone Cl1000 Psyche and SH-X Reality Alteration before it gets boring.

Basically, they are near-omnipotent. There are, however, rules of behaviour they have to follow - for example, I don't think any of them can directly kill anybody. Remember, they're fundamentals of the Universe. When Dream died, it was ultimately by his own choice.

Lucifer would be rather more interesting, probably. But again, near-omnipotent.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
February 07, 2003 07:36AM
Serafita,

Basically, whatever their individual name is reveals not only who but "what" they are. Sandman (Dream) has Reality Alteration and Dream control @ Class 5000. Death (DC's version is a kinder, gentler version) has Class 5000 Bio-Physical Control and Life Controlling powers. Desire, Delirium, Destruction, etc., should all be able to do what they do best with Class 5000 ability. And they are immortal and immenent. They can end their own existence, but no one else can.

This subject reminds me of the comments under another thread about ultimately how useless it is to accurately stat "the gods". They pretty much can do what they wish to do. I don't mean that if a Judge wants to go all out ga-ga mind numbing Cosmic that he or she should not use stats, afterall, TSR took the time and effort to stat LT, Death, Eternity, etc.,.

It is just not my cup of tea. I had Dream show up in a campaign and without rolling the dice he was automatically able to shrink Mephisto (who did not get a Saving FEAT) small enough to fit into a grapefruit sized Christmans snow-globe. He forced Mephisto to watch the events of the campaign unfold while sitting atop a miniature church in the center of the happy-holiday town.

But that is just me. It is like if Death targets a hero. I don't care who it is, unless he has invioalble Immortality, he is gonna die. Red results for Evades, dodges, or Class 1000 Endurances v. Kill are all irrelevant. Why even bother to have Death roll on the Class 5000 column? Yes, an "01" result would be hilarious, but how many times can she continue to miss?

Now, if the "gods" are gonna fight each other, and a Judge wants to emulate something on the scale of Raganarok, specific stats could be quite usefull.

SDI
Kaz
February 07, 2003 09:32AM
Exactly. But if you need some kind of stats anyway, here is a pretty good site for the old DC game (Mayfair I believe, not West End). [www.geocities.com]
Click on a hyper-linked stat and it will bring you to a legend of "benchmarks" ala the Judges Book. The Endless and Lucifer are pretty much at the top of all the non-physical stats, along with Monitor/Anti-monitor and Spectre, and Death I believe has the highest single stat in the game (Aura 38).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
February 07, 2003 10:52AM
Ah, I never mentioned I was gonna use them in a game. I was just merely interested in a comparison. :lol:

Still, thanks for the input. Quite fascinating. :)

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.